Repurpose Your pNode: Don’t Let Good Tech Go to Waste!

Not sure, however, I can be reached via Telegram @lukemax if you need generalized help converting your pNode over to another task/project/function.

2 Likes

I’ve been part of and running pnodes for around 4 years now. Hate hearing this.

I’d love to know what projects we can convert these to! Crankk? FRY? Idk.

If anyone wants to sell me your pnode, I’d love to have one. Never got the chance to buy one after they were discontinued. Send me a DM.

Offering $40 plus cost of shipping as that’s what similar nuc machines are going for on eBay.

Hey @Tempestblack , thanks for being part of this community. I’ve enjoyed your contributions to the community forums. I share your sentiment, it was painful for me to read the “Incognito is Sunsetting” post.

As for crypto to mine, here are a few ideas that are “Privacy focussed” coins
See my other post has links - Sunsetting Incognito

• WOWNERO - You need to run the Wowlet Wallet where it downloads the blockchain and then allows you to mine directly from within the wallet

• NERVA - Same as above. It’s a privacy coin that is a fork of Monero.

• FIRO - You can’t PoW mine the coin as it is more suited to GPUs, however you could setup a Staking Node, but this will require you invest in buying and locking up FIRO.

• EPIC CASH - the pNode is IDEAL for running (what I would call) an Epic Cash personal vault. You can install the Epic Cash Desktop GUI wallet onto the PC. You can safely store your Epic Cash on this machine. Only turn it on when you need to access your Epic Cash. The Epic Wallet will sync with the blockchain and will then allow you to send/recieve Epic Cash directly from the wallet (no third party needed as you are using your very own copy of the blockchain (which is only about 5GB).

For a more advanced setup you could convert your pNode into an Epic Cash Server (node only). But the beauty with this is you can then connect all your mobile wallets to your own private Epic Node server and not have to rely on a 3rd party. It’s all part of your personal goal of “being your own bank” (if that is a goal for you).

I hope these ideas help spur more discussion.

2 Likes

Hey @Jared, thanks for putting together this post.

Will you consider writing a Step-by-Step guide for pNode owners on how to
a) Create a bootable USB Key with latest Ubuntu (that supports the pNode hardware)
b) How to do a clean install of Ubuntu that making the pNode more versatile for other uses.

Just a thought.

1 Like

Hello @Linnovations,

I have the following guide available for pNode owners who wish to upgrade the BIOS or OS:

However, regarding writing a guide for installing a new OS, I’m not sure there is a point in that as it is very generic and there are many guides online. Regardless, I’m available on TG @lukemax for general guidance as I don’t want to see these end up thrown away.

2 Likes

Do you know of any that you can stake nodes like on incognito?

1 Like

Hey @slabb,
I’m not sure you level of technical expertise, but it you are a intermediate level Linux user, you could setup and manage your own FIRO Masternode to stake 1000 FIRO to earn rewards.

Here is a guide - https://firo.org/guide/masternode-setup.html

But like I said, it’s does require some technical expertise.

2 Likes

That’s cool. But do you know if you have to keep your computer running 24/7?

1 Like

Yes. Also you should ideally have a fixed external IP address.
However, I do not, but I am still able to run my masternode. But if my External IP address changes, I’ll need to re-configure my FIRO Masternode. Hence, I’m not sure your level of Linux technical skills, but some will intermediate knowledge is required.

1 Like

Try using something like https://www.duckdns.org/ if you don’t have a static IP address. That’s what I used on my Incognito nodes.

2 Likes

Hey Jared, Thanks for the tip on using DuckDNS.org. I’ve been to their website but I left with more questions than answers.

What I can’t understand (perhaps you know), when my Router was rebooted and my IP Address changed, how does duckDNS become aware of the change and automatically update it accordingly so that interruption is minimised?

A follow-up question, have you see any performance degradation (slower ping times, slower upload speeds to your servers) when using DuckDNS?

1 Like

They offer a wide range of methods to install. I personally ran a tiny lite weight docker container. They have config options for routers as well.

https://www.duckdns.org/install.jsp

None that I’m aware of. Every request is instantly passed on. My vNodes were always 95+ on vote score (generally 97 - 99).

2 Likes

I will take you up on this offer for sure.

I have 4 I am happy to sell you at $40 each plus shipping

1 Like

Hi, abusing this topic to say and bye to you. Such a shame to see our dear project go to waste, but it is what it is. We had a lot of fun, thank you for that. I hope your future will be bright, and who knows, maybe we will meet again.

@Jared do you know if the pNode supports more than 4GB RAM?

2 Likes

I would love to see a step by step guide on how to convert a pNode in to a monero (XMR) miner since they are ASIC resistant

3 Likes

Yes, there is a second unpopulated slot. According to a quick search of the motherboard it appears it can accommodate 8GB of RAM max.

pNode Model: NUC BOX6CAYH (Intel Celeron J3455 1.5Ghz) 2x DDR3L

2 Likes

If there is I might want to buy one

1 Like

Sure. Give me a few days to get together packaging and and weight, etc, and I’ll contact you and @Up2UrHeadlights to get details to ship it out. Just a little these past few days so I haven’t had time

1 Like

@Jared@Jamie@Linnovations@slabb@brico84…I want to thank every one of you for having posted something to this string…I mean all the postings on this string are wonderful and informative and well helpful…I’ve been swamped with some r/t issues but I mean to continue to follow closely the various postings in this string and others and well to leave comments or responses when I can and definitely what anyone posts on here…because by sharing ideas and brainstorming it is how we help each other truly…so once again thank you to all once again… Now to @Jaime…OMG :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:…it has been ages…I am going to message you pvt if it is ok with you…I hope it will be…wow…it is so cool to see you post and hear from you after so long…sorry that it has come around under the circumstances though…so let me send that pvt message…Hope to hear from you… :kissing_heart:

By the way @Jared…did you get that pvt message I sent you?

2 Likes