[User Guide] Upgrading pNode OS & BIOS

Hello pNode Operators :wave:

The following guide is intended for individuals interested in upgrading their pNodes to the latest version of Ubuntu and/or the BIOS.

But before we delve into the details, let’s discuss why someone might consider such an upgrade.

Similar to any computer, the pNode runs various code components. Over time, bugs and vulnerabilities may be discovered within this code, necessitating updates. By upgrading the pNode, you ensure that it remains secure and benefits from the latest improvements.

However, it is important to note the following:

:stop_sign: Do not perform either of these upgrades if your pNode is in committee or about to be in committee or you could risk being slashed!

:warning: Disclaimer :warning:

pNodes are no longer covered by the limited 1-year warranty. The decision to upgrade your pNode is entirely up to you. Therefore, Incognito cannot be held liable for any issues, damage, or other consequences resulting from the actions taken by end users.

It’s essential to be aware that upgrading the BIOS carries the risk of bricking your device. A bricked device becomes inoperable and will no longer power on.

Furthermore, upgrading the operating system (OS) could potentially impact the functionality of the pNode. In such cases, the user may need to convert the pNode to a vNode, which requires a 1750 PRV stake.

Please understand that this disclaimer is not intended to discourage users from upgrading. However, the steps outlined below should only be carried out by individuals who are familiar with the process and comfortable with the associated risks.

FAQs

Q: Is this required to continuing earning node rewards?
A: No! This is an optional step and is not required to continue earning rewards.

Q: Why would someone do these upgrades if they are not required?
A: Some users may feel uncomfortable having an outdated, potentially vulnerable computer running on their network.

Q: If I don’t do these upgrades is it possible my pNode could be hacked?
A: Yes and no, most home routers have everything securely protected behind an internal firewall. Problems only arise if your pNode is exposed to the internet without a firewall.

With all of that out of the way, let’s proceed with the upgrade process for your pNode! :partying_face:

Upgrading the pNode BIOS

Before You Begin

Before you begin, you will need the following:

1. A monitor or TV with HDMI connection
  2. An HDMI Cable
  3. A USB Keyboard
  4. A credit card or small tool
  5. A USB flash drive (any size)

Getting Started

Download the BIOS update file using the following link, which is the newest BIOS (as of 2023-07-25T04:00:00Z): BIOS Update [AYAPLCEL]
Click to download the top item: Download AY0075.bio

Plug in your flash drive to your computer and format (erase all contents) of the drive. After this is complete move over the AY0075.bio file. This should be the only file currently stored on the flash drive.

Move to the pNode and start by unplugging the pNode from the power and/or the ethernet. Unscrew the 4 small screws on the bottom of the pNode (reference image 1a). Next, gently push on the white side panel to slide the pNode inner shell out. Once the inner shell is free of the metal outer shell, unclip the white side panel, thus exposing all of the ports next to the power/ethernet ports (reference image 2a).

screws
1a reference photo - Red circles show screw locations

panel
2a reference photo - Showing all ports exposed by power/ethernet

Once the panel is off you’ll want to connect your USB keyboard, HDMI cable, USB flash drive, ethernet (if you’re using that).

:stop_sign: :no_good_man: :electric_plug: Do NOT plug in the power until you have read one or both of the following guides:

Picture Guided Steps or In-depth Upgrade Guide

:stop_sign: :rotating_light: Make sure the pNode does not lose power during the update process or your pNode could become bricked!

:warning: Some users have reported issues booting and the solution has been to remove the CMOS battery. This looks like a watch battery with a small 2 pin connector on the front of the motherboard, simply unplug it.

Congratulations! :raised_hands: You have just updated your pNode BIOS. If you have followed the steps outlined above then you should now be running the newest BIOS. Move on to the next section to upgrade the pNode OS.

BIOS Resources

Intel NUC BIOS Download Link: External Link
Intel NUC Technical Product Sheet: External PDF
Intel NUC Steps to Upgrade the BIOS: External Link
Intel NUC BIOS ReadME: External PDF
Intel NUC BIOS Release Notes: External PDF

Upgrading Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS

Before we begin

Before you can work on the pNode you will need the following:

1. Your pNode’s IP address. You can find this on the app (More > Power > Tap on your pNode) or via your internet router dashboard.

2. A computer running Windows/Mac/Linux that is connected to the same network connection as the pNode.

Start by connecting to your pNode via SSH. Windows users will need to run PowerShell (use the windows search) and Mac users will need to run Terminal (Applications > Utilities).

Once this screen is up type: `ssh [email protected].#.#`

When prompted for the password type: `Binh!2345`

Your pNode should be running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS if you have not made any upgrades or changes since you first received it. Let’s check the Ubuntu version by running:

lsb_release -a

This should output something like the following:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Release: 18.04

If your pNode indicates anything other than 18.04 LTS then please stop and contact @Support for further instruction.

Next, we will upgrade the software packages running on the pNode with the following command:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y && sudo apt autoremove -y

This can take a while to download and install all of the required software package upgrades. Please be patient.

After upgrading the software packages we will need to do a quick reboot of the pNode with:

sudo shutdown -r now

You will be disconnected from your SSH session and will need to reconnect. Follow the steps from above to reconnect to the pNode over SSH.

Once reconnected run the following command to begin the OS upgrade process:

sudo do-release-upgrade

This upgrade process can take a very long time as many new components need to be downloaded. User confirmation prompts will pop up throughout to make sure you’re aware of the changes. If asked about keeping files or replacing with new ones, simply click ENTER to accept keeping the previous file.

Once finished, you will be prompted to reboot. Type y and hit enter. After a few minutes reconnect via SSH and run lsb_release -a again and now it should show as:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal

That’s it! Congratulations on upgrading your pNode’s Operating System! Your node is now operating with the most efficient and latest versions. :tada:

If you get stuck or have any comments, questions or suggestions feel free to leave them in the comments below or reach out to the support team.

Additional Note

If the dashboard is failing to show after reboot you’ll need to install pip2 and then use pip to install zmq.

Optional Step

For users who wish to increase their security, changing the default password (Binh!2345) is an option. Simply use the following SSH command: sudo passwd . Don’t forget to record and store your new password somewhere safe! :memo:

4 Likes

The heading mentions upgrade to 22.04 LTS but this body text says the result is 20.04 LTS. which one is supported and intended?

Corrected.

2 Likes

Holy Smokes!!!..Jared I just today checked in with the community and well here are new postings that I was not aware of and important updates indeed…and man they be smoking hot and cool!!!..thank you for taking the time to create the posting and my thanks to any other members of the community and of course the dev team if they assisted in the creation of this posting…I will get to work on Charlie and the 3 Angels… :smiley:…I hope I do not run into any issues … :blush:…but I will reach out to you if I do…stay frosty… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thank you. A couple more edit suggestions.

• Mention the F7 keyboard shortcut for entering the BIOS upgrade. This flashes by pretty quick during the initial boot on some displays and can be difficult to see.

• Specify what users should do with all of the configuration file conflicts. I accepted all the defaults, keeping the original configurations, and it seemed to work fine. Other users might be confused about what to do at this stage, and accidentally trash functioning config files.

This is mentioned in both guides provided by Intel that I linked to.