Repurpose Your pNode: Don’t Let Good Tech Go to Waste!

Dear pNode Operators,

As you may already know, the Incognito network is scheduled to shut down within the next 30 days. However, this is not the end for your pNode devices. Let’s first take a look at the specifications of your pNode to understand just how capable these devices are:

• Processor : Intel Celeron J3455 Apollo Lake, Quad-core 1.5 - 2.3 GHz
  • Memory : 4GB DDR3L-1600/1866
  • Storage : 512GB SSD PCIe-Gen2. SATA3 6Gb/s
  • Communications : WiFi (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168), Ethernet (1x Realtek RTL8168/8111 Gigabit LAN)
  • Operating System : Ubuntu 18.04
  • Power : 65W Power Supply, Line voltage: 100-240 AC
  • Size and Weight : 3.5’’ x 4.9’’ x 6.9’’ (L x W x H), 2 lbs

Given these robust specifications, your pNode is far from becoming obsolete. In fact, with minimal effort, these devices can be seamlessly transformed into a variety of other useful technologies that can enhance your daily life. Here are several practical ways to repurpose your pNode:

1. Personal Server :computer:: Utilize the pNode as a personal web, file, or media server at home. Its processing power and storage capacity are ideal for hosting websites or managing personal cloud storage.

2. Home Automation Controller :house:: Transform your pNode into a control hub for your smart home devices, managing everything from lighting to security systems.

3. Development Testbed :hammer_and_wrench:: Developers can leverage the pNode as a sandbox for testing programs, running simulations, or developing blockchain applications.

4. VPN Server :lock:: Set up your own VPN to manage and encrypt your internet traffic, enhancing your online privacy and security.

5. Network Attached Storage (NAS) :file_folder:: Convert your pNode into a dedicated NAS for backing up and sharing files across your home network.

6. Learning and Experimentation :mortar_board:: Use the pNode to explore Linux systems, network management, or software development—a great educational tool.

7. Cryptocurrency Staking :moneybag:: Adapt your pNode to stake other cryptocurrencies that use a Proof of Stake (PoS) protocol.

8. Media Center :tv:: Turn your pNode into a media center to store and play your videos, music, and photos, connecting easily to your home entertainment system.

9. Gaming Server :video_game:: Host your own private gaming server for compatible games, enhancing your online gaming experience with friends.

10. IoT Projects :robot:: Utilize the pNode as the backbone of your IoT infrastructure, managing devices and collecting data.

11. Remote Work Station :briefcase:: Configure the pNode as a remote desktop server to access your work or home environment from anywhere.

12. Print Server :printer:: Employ pNode to manage printing tasks within a network, allowing multiple users to share a single or multiple printers.

13. Weather Station :sun_behind_small_cloud:: Integrate it with weather monitoring software and sensors to track weather conditions at your location.

14. Home Network-Wide Ad Blocker :stop_sign:: Implement ad-blocking software across your entire home network to enhance the browsing experience and reduce unwanted content.

15. DNS Server :globe_with_meridians:: Use your pNode as a dedicated DNS server to improve network efficiency and security through better domain name resolution.

I encourage you to explore these possibilities and continue to innovate with the hardware you’ve invested in. Each of these repurposing ideas can breathe new life into your pNode, preventing unnecessary waste and maximizing its value in your tech ecosystem.

I am more than happy to guide you through the process of repurposing your pNode. Please feel free to reach out if you need assistance or have any questions. Let’s not let such valuable technology go to waste.

Thank you for being a part of Incognito, and let’s look forward to new beginnings with your existing technology. :star2:

Special Note: If you do decide to repurpose your pNode (you definitely should) please make sure you install a fresh copy of Ubuntu OS or another Linux OS. It’s very likely that the current OS is outdated.

4 Likes

Any chance this could function as a Plex server, potentially?

Absolutely! Your pNode, with its Intel Celeron J3455 processor, 4GB of RAM, and a 512GB SSD, is certainly capable of running as a Plex media server. It would handle streaming well, especially for small to medium-sized libraries and a few simultaneous streams.

Additionally, there are several alternatives to Plex that you might consider using with your pNode:

1. Emby - Similar to Plex, Emby is a media server designed to organize, play, and stream audio and video to a variety of devices. Emby also offers a more open approach to its software.

2. Jellyfin - A free and open-source alternative that aims to provide a similar experience to Plex. Jellyfin is entirely community-driven, which means it doesn’t have any premium plans.

3. Kodi - Originally known as XBMC, Kodi is a powerful, open-source media player that allows you to run it directly on a device like a pNode without needing to stream from a separate server.

4. Subsonic - Although it’s typically used for music, Subsonic can also stream video. It’s a great choice if you’re looking for a straightforward, no-frills option.

5. Universal Media Server - A DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server that supports a wide range of devices and offers features similar to Plex without the need for a subscription.

Any of these can be set up on your pNode to create a powerful media server.

4 Likes

@Jared…hiya bro…hey sorry to hear about the community shutting down… :sob:…I’ve been here for a few years now and well yes it is very painful to hear of this…but then well the industry being what it is and where it is now…considering what happened to outfits like “Tornado Cash” for instance it is understandable why the demise of this community is taking place…but well it is indeed awesome to well see you start this string and topic for well owners of pnode hardware and what we all can do with this hardware now…thank you for the postings…I do have a question…can the pnodes be used to mine any other kind of cryptocurrency?..look forward to your response…and once again thank you for all you have done thru the months and yrs here at Incognito…once again…You Da Man!!.. :+1: :100: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi @Tempestblack,

They can be used to mine CPU crypto but I haven’t found any yet that seem worth it. Feel free to use this thread as an area to discuss new uses and projects for the pNode tech.

Hmmm…seems that the Raspberry Pi hardware can be used to mine Bitcoin or Monero…but well further investigation into this will have to be done… :thinking:

1 Like

Do we know if/when this forum/community will be shut down? I’d love to explore these options in the future, but I’m not sure I’ll have the time to work these projects in the near future.

Not sure, however, I can be reached via Telegram @lukemax if you need generalized help converting your pNode over to another task/project/function.

2 Likes

I’ve been part of and running pnodes for around 4 years now. Hate hearing this.

I’d love to know what projects we can convert these to! Crankk? FRY? Idk.

If anyone wants to sell me your pnode, I’d love to have one. Never got the chance to buy one after they were discontinued. Send me a DM.

Offering $40 plus cost of shipping as that’s what similar nuc machines are going for on eBay.

Hey @Tempestblack , thanks for being part of this community. I’ve enjoyed your contributions to the community forums. I share your sentiment, it was painful for me to read the “Incognito is Sunsetting” post.

As for crypto to mine, here are a few ideas that are “Privacy focussed” coins
See my other post has links - Sunsetting Incognito

• WOWNERO - You need to run the Wowlet Wallet where it downloads the blockchain and then allows you to mine directly from within the wallet

• NERVA - Same as above. It’s a privacy coin that is a fork of Monero.

• FIRO - You can’t PoW mine the coin as it is more suited to GPUs, however you could setup a Staking Node, but this will require you invest in buying and locking up FIRO.

• EPIC CASH - the pNode is IDEAL for running (what I would call) an Epic Cash personal vault. You can install the Epic Cash Desktop GUI wallet onto the PC. You can safely store your Epic Cash on this machine. Only turn it on when you need to access your Epic Cash. The Epic Wallet will sync with the blockchain and will then allow you to send/recieve Epic Cash directly from the wallet (no third party needed as you are using your very own copy of the blockchain (which is only about 5GB).

For a more advanced setup you could convert your pNode into an Epic Cash Server (node only). But the beauty with this is you can then connect all your mobile wallets to your own private Epic Node server and not have to rely on a 3rd party. It’s all part of your personal goal of “being your own bank” (if that is a goal for you).

I hope these ideas help spur more discussion.

2 Likes

Hey @Jared, thanks for putting together this post.

Will you consider writing a Step-by-Step guide for pNode owners on how to
a) Create a bootable USB Key with latest Ubuntu (that supports the pNode hardware)
b) How to do a clean install of Ubuntu that making the pNode more versatile for other uses.

Just a thought.

1 Like

Hello @Linnovations,

I have the following guide available for pNode owners who wish to upgrade the BIOS or OS:

However, regarding writing a guide for installing a new OS, I’m not sure there is a point in that as it is very generic and there are many guides online. Regardless, I’m available on TG @lukemax for general guidance as I don’t want to see these end up thrown away.

2 Likes

Do you know of any that you can stake nodes like on incognito?

1 Like

Hey @slabb,
I’m not sure you level of technical expertise, but it you are a intermediate level Linux user, you could setup and manage your own FIRO Masternode to stake 1000 FIRO to earn rewards.

Here is a guide - https://firo.org/guide/masternode-setup.html

But like I said, it’s does require some technical expertise.

2 Likes

That’s cool. But do you know if you have to keep your computer running 24/7?

1 Like

Yes. Also you should ideally have a fixed external IP address.
However, I do not, but I am still able to run my masternode. But if my External IP address changes, I’ll need to re-configure my FIRO Masternode. Hence, I’m not sure your level of Linux technical skills, but some will intermediate knowledge is required.

1 Like

Try using something like https://www.duckdns.org/ if you don’t have a static IP address. That’s what I used on my Incognito nodes.

2 Likes

Hey Jared, Thanks for the tip on using DuckDNS.org. I’ve been to their website but I left with more questions than answers.

What I can’t understand (perhaps you know), when my Router was rebooted and my IP Address changed, how does duckDNS become aware of the change and automatically update it accordingly so that interruption is minimised?

A follow-up question, have you see any performance degradation (slower ping times, slower upload speeds to your servers) when using DuckDNS?

1 Like

They offer a wide range of methods to install. I personally ran a tiny lite weight docker container. They have config options for routers as well.

https://www.duckdns.org/install.jsp

None that I’m aware of. Every request is instantly passed on. My vNodes were always 95+ on vote score (generally 97 - 99).

2 Likes