Weekly Privacy Newsletter - 6.25.21

Hey everyone,

It’s a month since the last update, sorry for making the community have to wait that long, but it’s always ideal to update the community on the visible outputs rather than repeating the same thing of development progress week over week.

The following are things we’ve done in the past few weeks:

Incognito - Binance Smart Chain bridge

This has been done, a staging Incognito app might be found in the topic, please give it a try and let us know your thoughts prior to its official release on production environment around next week.

Privacy V2

The privacy V2 protocol has been completed and deployed on Testnet environment already. The thing left is to upgrade the Incognito app to the new privacy protocol, this is almost done too, a staging app for this upgrade will be released within next week so that everyone in the Incognito community can experience it and give us feedback or bug report if any.

Since this is one of the biggest upgrades of Incognito, it’s vital for us to be able to hunt as many bugs as possible prior to the official launch and we’re planning to organize a short and simple bug bounty program for it. The bounty details will also be announced along with the staging app release next week.

Also, a series of posts to explain changes in Privacy v2 will be published from next week till the official launch date.

The Incognito SDK (version 2)

We’ve just released a beta version of Incognito SDK V2, you can check it out here. This is of much higher quality and better documentation as compared to the previous version.

The SDK will help Incognito integrate with external platforms easier. Developers will also have a handy tool to build their own privacy applications on top Incognito chain.

The new Mempool

Besides the new development, we’re also figuring out many ways to improve the platform continually. One of them is the new mempool that improved transaction throughput significantly - about 2 - 2.5 times as compared to the old one.

This has been deployed on the Mainnet already and is an important measurement for the team to consider a capability to reduce the block time. Please note that block time reduction is one of the most crucial initiatives of Incognito as it may help improve all features of the project in terms of user experience.

Slashing

We’ve just detected an issue with the randomness assignment mechanism that caused the unbalanced validator number among shards. The bug has to be fixed before enabling slashing. Otherwise, a good, healthy and honest validator may also be slashed just because of insufficient time for it to sync required data for contributing to the consensus process.

For this reason, we’ve decided to delay slashing one more time till August. But in the meantime, we still try our best to support node owners with node issues. We believe that Incognito is having stronger validators than itself in the last couple of months that help the network more robust and resilient.

Many big things are coming soon, thanks for still being here!

22 Likes

Glad to know slashing won’t occur on nodes that haven’t had sufficient time to sync up the data.

Some good developments on the horizon, thank you Incognito!

4 Likes

Any time estimates of supplying the new Tri P-Nodes?

Thanks devs for all the hard work.

Will incognito have its own smart contract ability?

Orion protocol has launched and they have a liquidity aggregator that can be built in to subsidize pdex, could we implement this?

Is there a thread that tells the ongoing situation of what parts of incognito are trustless and what parts are still trusted? Like the liquidity in provide, is that stuff all trusted? I want to know if its safe enough to put my entire btc and eth holdings, or if a rouge developer could rug?

@duc,
Any plans on releasing the v2 SDK in a Standard and more widespread language than ‘go’, such as JavaScript or TypeScript?

1 Like

Hey @ForestCity, I’m really sorry to say that we no longer produce pNodes. Also, although node tree was a cool idea, it seemed to be too costly and distracted for the team to build a hardware device like that at least at the moment.

3 Likes

@JoyRaptor,

Will incognito have its own smart contract ability?

Currently we don’t have plan for supporting smart contract capability yet. This is quite interesting and challenging stuff I guess.

Orion protocol has launched and they have a liquidity aggregator that can be built in to subsidize pdex, could we implement this?

Thanks for pointing this out, I don’t have a chance to have a look at Orion protocol but will do it shortly. Hope that we can learn something from the project.

Is there a thread that tells the ongoing situation of what parts of incognito are trustless and what parts are still trusted? Like the liquidity in provide, is that stuff all trusted? I want to know if its safe enough to put my entire btc and eth holdings, or if a rouge developer could rug?

I guess you mean the topic. It’s tranparency for open-source/close-source and trusted/trustless situations of all parts of Incognito platform. Yes, Provide is close-source and trusted now, but FYI we’re now working actively on redesigning and rebuilding the pDEX along with its liquidity strategy, will update the community officically once we finalize it.

4 Likes

Hey @fitz_fiat, we’ve actually been using the webjs sdk for upgrading Incognito app with privacy v2 for a few months now, it’s written in Javascript. The only reason we have not made an official announcement for it is that it’s not well-documented yet. The team will work on the documentation for it once we have resource (probably after privacy v2 launch)

4 Likes