How to host a Virtual Node

The current official run.sh file is here: https://node.incognito.org/run.sh

@Peter and @khanhj Just to be clear, I am sure the official file is fine, what I am referring to is the file that was created here, and is used by several people (which all have more than 1 vNode, so could be a substantial portion of the community validators), does not utilize the eth-mainnet.

There seems to be confusion among community and incog team members (if you look at the responses in last few days to both threads), that didn’t think it was necessary anymore. It appears this is ok because Incog core team hold 2/3 of validator spots, but surely sounds like something you would want to point out to vNode owners, especially those running that script.

I assume its not really a huge issue until new shards and spots are opened up, and that has been pushed out to mid 2021, but IMHO it doesn’t sound great that possibly a large portion of the community run validators would be returning invalid results for shield/unshield transactions… Of course if the dev team is looking to remove the dependency before the new positions and shards are opened up, then its really moot.

Just trying to elevate an issue that could arise in future based upon confusion that has been seen and now cleared up.

1 Like

I have one eth_mainnet but more than one inc_mainnet in the same VPS machine. This is OK, isn’t it? @khanhj

1 Like

@abduraman that should be fine as long as they are both on the same virtual network when the dockers are created.

--net inc_net

The script he provided below, shows only 1 eth_mainnet for multiple vNodes on same machine. But if they are not on the same virtual network (inc_net, in case of the new file), they will not be able to communicate.

2 Likes

When your initial question was posted, I contacted the devs and was told it wasn’t needed anymore. After that devs started to ventilate different opinions :man_shrugging: . Unfortunately that created confusion.

2 Likes

Thanks for these instructions, @annie! I sync’ed my node from scratch in 4.5 hours and now I want to stake it, but the “Stake” button is missing in the Incognito app. Instead an “Import” button has replaced it. How do I stake my node?

IMG_5303

1 Like

Import the private key of the account you are using the validator key of, running your Node.

Thanks for the reply, @Jamie. When I try to do that I get the error “The account already exists on your device. Please try another.”

I guess that means you are using the wrong validator key, or added the wrong Node ip address.

Let me rephrase the question: Why can’t I stake my validator using the Anon keychain that was created when I opened the Incognito app for the first time?

You can if you use the validator key of that account to start the Node. I am assuming we are talking virtual Node, not physical Node.

Is there a minimum bandwidth requirement for the server configuration? Can a server run multiple vNODEs at the same time?

Yes, it can.

Just wanted to add my post from another thread. I think it’s more appropriate in this thread. Thanks!

1 Like

tks,can you share your server configuration? and how many vNodes run on it?

Very interesting topic, does it has a comparison profit for running a virtual node and providing to pool?

That’s great to know, can you share the topic to run multiple Vnodes on window?

@DarwinXu @Drogo You may read these topics including this topic’s previous messages:

3 Likes

Thanks, very helpful for me, can set up vnode by using vultr now

1 Like

Can I use google console to host vnode? any tutorial?