will the app work without google play services

when starting, the app cannot find the google play services, because i don’t run those.

otherwise the app runs.
as i understand, services are needed for those trackers, will the app work ok without those?

1 Like

I don’t know whether it runs without google services, it does run fine with MicroG though which is what I am using. In case you don’t know MicroG, it basically spoofs Google Services.
And you can install the app with the apk without the Play Store. Only thing is, if the app is open source it would be handy if it could be published on F-Droid.

2 Likes

thanks for pointing to microg.
it runs without microg and play services, just it is not clear if all the features will work?

@inky Google Services is required for Notifications and Set up Physical Nodes. So if you don’t need them, just ignore the error, and the app is still running normally.

1 Like

Google services are required to setup physical node? :frowning: I am waiting on a node i ordered, but wasn’t aware of this detail… I am running a degoogled phone, so it looks like I will need to find some sort of work around?

2 Likes

Yes, it is required for the pnode setup. My suggestion is:
1/ Use a normal phone to activate/ set up the pNode. Then, save the private key of the Node account.
2/ Import that saved private key to your phone (degoogled phone) to restore the Node account, then use this feature on the app: “Add an existing Node” to monitor the Node.

3 Likes

what about vNode? I guess adding any node, V or P will require google services then.

1 Like

@inky vNode works normally without the google services. Have you tried any of them (virtual Node/ physical Node)?