pNode earnings

I’ve noticed over a full 3 month period (Sept, Oct, Nov) my pNode has only generated 25 PRV . I realise the current system is randomly distributed however I thought it equals itself out after a few months? Any other pNodes experiencing similar low earnings & if so why can’t the team evenly distribute for each pnode? I know a few mining companies in Iceland were using software to automate their BTC/ETH mining operations back in 2015 so why can’t the Team/Developers build something similar?

1 Like

25PRV over 3 months for 1 pNode does not seem normal. I have one pNode and it has averaged far more than that.
Are you sure that you were not somehow having connection issues with your pNode?

1 Like

No connections issues - I have 4 pNodes & the difference between 2 X 2 pNodes is significant…How much on average has your pNode been generating per month?
Is there a team member who can contact about this?

1 Like

It will average out but not in 3 months. You will have to compare earnings over a longer period of time. The random selection is part of the design. If we are going to level it out on a short period of time, selection becomes predictable which is what we try to avoid.

25 PRV over three months is not completely uncommon, knowing the longest (announced) non-earning streak is 60 days.

If you feel something is wrong with the node you can give it a restart by power cycling it. Are you using any of the node monitor services developed by some community members?

1 Like

Hey @ForestCity, the system is distributing mining rewards relative equally to validators but validators are being selected in a committee randomly to avoid or mitigate collusion in creating malicious blocks.
The randomness mechanism is yielding the selection in a sort of uniform distribution so theoretically in long run each validator would be having an equal probability to be selected into a committee.
Lastly, the companies you said probably are running mining pools and guarantee a certain interest for their users. That’s quite different from Incognito where validators are staking directly to the network in a decentralized fashion.

6 Likes

Where can I find the “Node monitoring service”?
And why would you avoid the selection becoming predictable? It’s not like ASIC -SHA mining where every miner has different levels of Power usage , each pNode to my knowledge has the same amount of staking power - therefore if each pNode runs 24/7 without connection issues the question then becomes why isn’t each pNode staked evenly? This is a more equitable, fairer & transparent system…What are the issues of the team not integrating this type of system? Genesis mining has been automating their POW payouts since 2015 simply by using software - why can’t Incognito do the same? under this random model can we see which pnodes the team has distributed to?

@ForestCity is your pnode staked or run by the incog team?

Did you check the community builders section of this forum? You will find those services there.

I will simply add my 2 cents, that all of my nodes (Physical and virtual) have seen earnings plummet the last few months. There is a simple answer, the number of new validators coming online has gone way up. As validator numbers go up, our earnings go down. The network fees are so miniscule that we don’t really earn anything useful on transaction fees, so unless I am missing something we won’t see any change here…

Until new slots are opened by the core team (or dynamic sharding next year), PRV earnings will go down as more validators come online.

I don’t have a solution for this, just defining the problem.

2 Likes

Whats the difference? I thought all pnodes are run by Incognito? That’s why I’m trying to raise the issue for a more transparent, fairer, equal system. How do we know if team is benefiting themselves & others pnodes while one of my pNode has only earned 25PRV & another pNode 28 PRV in over 90 days?

There are a couple things here @ForestCity.

First, your node. Incog does not own all nodes. Out of the box, they provide you with the funds to stake your node (1750 PRV). The trade off is they keep 65% of the earnings. They use those earnings to stake other peoples nodes the same way you did. At any time, you can unstake your node from the incog team if you have the 1750 to stake it yourself. You will then get 100% of anything your node earns. So, if you haven’t staked it yourself, your 35 PRV would actually be 100 PRV if you put up the funds yourself. Thats just the nature of the beast when you dont have to put any money in.

Second, incognitos teams actual nodes. Incog has been taking up some of the slots in each shard on every epoch. So, in simple terms, they are earning every time. This is well documented on this forum, and they plan on opening up the rest of those slots to everyone early next year. They needed to make sure the network remained stable, even if everyone unplugged their nodes. There are enough nodes out there now for them to remove theirs. HOWEVER, these earnings are not going to the team. Those funds are being used to payout the interest in the provide section to entice people to add to the liquidity of the network. with out it, the network couldn’t exist. If you have not checked that out on the app, you definitely should. If you provide funds to the network, you earn a constant interest rate.

As for the amount of days your node has earned, it’s like everyone else has said above. One month may be terrible, or you may earn 3 times in a week. The only true way to see your real terms is a bigger data set. Like 6 months or a year. I can tell you personally I am earning at an average ROI of about 50% APY from the 1750 I staked. Which is almost twice they 28% APY they are offering in provide.

All that being said, I’m not part of the incog team. This is just my interpretation of everything I’ve seen. I could be wrong in some of these areas.

2 Likes

I’ve just had a pNode crack a 48 day non-earning streak while my other pNodes have been in committee multiple times, each, during that streak. It happens.

2 Likes

I’d imagine the randomized selection done in the committee for earning is viewable via code on the github, it is open source. You could even build your own testnet on a vps and simulate the conditions present in the current network and yield the same result

The good thing is, or the thing that makes it less bad, PRV price is increasing. This means even if you are selected less often, you still earn more or less the same. But as I and others mentioned before, Incognito is a long term project, earnings will vary a lot, short term.

The thing not everyone is aware of is how selection really works.
Once selected, you are in the loop for at least 2, and max 4 epochs (most likely 3).
People incorrectly assume all four community filled spots change with every epoch while only the one who has been earning longest will be replaced.

My Nodes have periods of earning and of non-earning, in the long run my APY is higher than the 28% APY of the Provide feature. Still I do both.

1 Like