[Resolved] Swap Price Impact

It’s easy to see the size through the app. You go on market tab, click on PRV then select Buy on the upper tab, then click on the arrow near the name of your wallet. I’ve made the screenshot now. Still empty. There’s just a slight 0.1XMR on the PRV/XMR pool.

Can you explain how the buy-sell function works in conjunction with the Swap function?

Ever since pDEX v3 and the buy-sell was introduced, I was never clear how the Provide/Swap and Liquidity/buy-sell worked side by side.

Are buy-sell liquidity pools really the same as the Provide/Swap pools?

Personally I’ve never been able to use the buy/sell because the liquidity was never there, so I have always used Swap.

First, I would like to say I’m not working for them. I’m an user of this network. So far I don’t know how much liquidities are available in provide. It’s centralized. The pools are decentralized and… Dry at the moment. From my humble opinion, it smells bad. Especially if this situation gets chronic.

Okay but this entire thread is about Swap, which to my understanding is fed by Provide. The liquidity pools you’re referring to are fed by Earn, and in my experience have always been dry.

It sounded like you were suggesting the two were related, but as I said, I was never clear on that. It sounds like you aren’t either.

So to be clear, you actually don’t know if your original statement is actually the explanation for this issue:

Jared explicitly said it’s a routing issue. It sounds like you’re claiming it’s a liquidity issue, and implying that the liquidity pools from Earn affect the Swap values. I’m interested in having someone explain the whol thing, but I don’t think that’s how it works.

I don’t have factual proof on how provide can affect the swap liquidity. I hope everything stated here is just a routing issue as Jared stated. Provide was supposed to be phased out. But they decided not to do so.

Again, Provide does affect Swap because that’s literally what feeds the Swap. The issue is, the pools you’re referencing are fed by Earn.

So what I’ve been trying to determine is how (if at all) Provide/Swap is related to or affected by Earn/buy-sell pools. You literally said “The explanation is unfortunately pretty simple”…and claimed it had to do with the Earn pools being dry. But now it doesn’t seem like you’re even sure those pools are even related to the Swap function that this thread is about.

As far as Provide goes, yes it sounded like the plan was to phase it out for the reasons mentioned on the pDEX v3 announcement, but like I said, as far as I saw there was never enough liquidity in the Earn pools to make transacting through the Buy-Sell even really possible, let alone for a reasonable price.

I think that’s why even after nearly a year, it was stated “As of right now we have no plans to phase out the Provide feature of the app”, because so far, Swap (fed by Provide) seems to have always been the only reasonable way to exchange coins in Incognito.

The only correlation I saw, was once the earn pool dryed out, it was complicated to swap without affecting the price. And unfortunately they’re no audit, proof of reserve of the provide system. And you know better than me, than transparency brings trust.

Hello all,

The dev team is finishing up with the routing fix and they estimate it will be fixed within 24 hours. Sorry for the long delay.

We also will be updating the roadmap within the coming weeks and should be going back to regularly scheduled WPU.

1 Like

These have been explained many times but the answers/explanations are lost in the crowds :slight_smile: Let me sum up them once more:

1- Provide: Centralized (trust the team), single-sided liquidity, no impermanent loss, guaranteed earning in PRV, some (only PRV assets) go to the new vnodes, remaining ones (possibly not all of them) go to pDEX iquidity pools.

2- Earn: Decentralized, two-sided liquidity (classic Uniswap, Pancakeswap style AMM pools etc.), impermanent loss risk, earning from trading fees.

3- Buy/Sell is the orderbook feature of pDEX like orderbooks of Binance, Coinbase etc. but there is a subtle difference. You cannot buy/sell anything “instantly” via this feature. Somebody “must” fill your orders via Swap (wait for it). Yes, you are passive buyers/sellers. Your orders are pure “maker” orders. You cannot decrease/take liquidity.

4- Swap uses the pool liquidities supplied by Earn&Provide and the orderbook liquidities supplied by Buy/Sell to trade something for another thing. pDEX v3 gives the best price using those liquidities. pDEX v3 is an AMMOB which means Automated Market Maker with Orderbook. Please search pDEX v3 on the forum for details.

5 Likes

I’m just wanting to see if the routing issue has officially been fixed. I believe it has and I was able to successfully complete a few small swaps just now with no problems.

@Jared

Testing is still ongoing. We will release an app bulletin once back to full functionality.

1 Like

Hello all,

The swap issue has now been [Resolved]. Sorry for the inconvenience.

4 Likes

Has this become an issue again?

It looks like every swap has to go through the same XMR pool, regardless of what coin you’re trying to swap for…

So it seems whatever the price impact is for XMR, that is the minimum price impact you’ll experience for any other coin (plus whatever the impact is for every other coin pool you have to route through?)

And for some reason, it also seems like no matter what PRV amount, the price impact is around 6%-7%.

So currently, 100 PRV impacts 6% for swapping to XMR, USDT, and BTC… Seemingly because it goes through each of those in that order (i.e. if you want USDT, it goes PRV>XMR>USDT, if you want BTC, it goes PRV>XMR>USDT>BTC.)

500 PRV impacts all those coins around 6%-7%.
1000 PRV, the same.

Obviously this is better than 55% or 94%, but it’s still a considerable amount.

Is there still a routing issue or something else that can reduce this, or Is this just how swap is going to work now?

Hello @wisco,

What app version are you on? More > Settings > bottom of the screen.

I’m not seeing my trade routes go via XMR.

I’m used to the app updating automatically within itself (not requiring Google Play autoupdate). But I notice the Google Play Store has 5.11 as the latest version, but it doesn’t give the option to update. It’s either uninstall or open.

1. What would cause the app to not update as usual?
  2. Why would Play Store not give the option to update, even though my device and OS is compatible?

It appears there is still a routing issue. The devs are looking into it. Thank you for the report. It should be fixed within an hour or two.

Fully resolved now! :raised_hands: Please test and let me know. I tested it on my end as well.

1 Like

Seems to be better now, thank you. Can you address my questions about 5.11?

Hello @wisco,

Sorry for the delayed response to your question. I spoke to our app design team and they said they have pushed v5.11 and it has been approved by iOS review team. However, we are not ready to publish it available for rollout yet.

@Jared This appears to be an issue again…

Seems swaps are going through an XMR pool regardless of the target coin, forcing the price impact to be over 18%.

This is roughly the same in both the mobile and web app.

(Also, the Play Store still lists 5.11 as the latest version, but it does not appear to be available even on Github.)

2 Likes