What internet speed is needed to host pNodes?

What internet speed do we need in order to host each pNode?
I’m only hosting 3, but my speed is only 30mbps and I’m not sure that’s enough to support the pNodes and also work from home.
I couldn’t find an answer for this, I was probably asking the question wrong because it just seems like something that would’ve been talked about, so if anyone knows of a thread or the answer directly, I would appreciate it!

Hello @VINWOSNI,

That’s hard to say to be honest with you as there are many variables at play and really depends on what you use your network for, how many devices, your routers ability, etc.

For starters, I would highly recommend you use only ethernet for both your pNodes and personal computer to prevent any connection degradation/interference from Wi-Fi.

pNodes will constantly download more data as the blockchain grows, however, it is only critical when they are in committee. While somewhat tedious, you could stop the docker containers of your pNodes that are not close to being in committee. Avoid unplugging or shutting down without using sudo shutdown -h now via SSH or else you risk data corruption.

How many pNodes currently operate on your home network?

I only have 3 pNodes left in operation, all ethernet connected. Now that you mention it, I have noticed a dip in internet performance around committee time, I was hoping to get an idea of how much of my 30mb connection was being used but I see your point, usage will vary.

1 Like

30mbit is enough, it should not be a problem. I host a full node and several validators on a home server. My Unifi router tells me it pulled 27GB in the past 24 hours. If I calculate that correctly, it’s about 2.5mbit on average.

2 Likes

Traffic right now. Highest peak is around 10mbit if you add up download/upload. This is 1 full node, 2 nodes pending, and 5 nodes in committee.

2023-08-24_01h49_39

Edit: Oh, I just realized that the graph in Unifi dashboard shows all traffic even when you click on a client. So there’s some youtube and other stuff mixed in there as well… Your 3 nodes should be fine! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes