[Shipped] Community rewards for contributing to the privacy conversation

Noted, thanks for the suggestion.

25 views a post is definitely not impossible :wink: your posts are very helpful - get them out there!

Allowing rewards for cumulative uvs might encourage spam/cheating. It is easy for someone to select 25 posts and then just use a single fake account to click through them all.

I do see where you’re coming from however. I’ll think about it more. That said, most of the automatic badges currently utilize discourse’s own default rules. My original plan was to assess traction for the first month before committing additional resources to designing a batch with custom rules. Am happy to do so if this initiative proves promising (so far it is!)

3 Likes

Oh I see what you mean there.

Yea, I haven’t been sharing links to my post with the correct link that you showed me above so I will try doing that going forward. The challenge for me is that because each of my posts is stats for only one week, I only then have one week to get that many people to click into it from the shared link before there is a new post for the week and then I have to start all over. But I will try!

2 Likes

You don’t have to share your own posts - though you def should! It works for any post (edited my reply above to make it clearer). Just don’t forget your identifier :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did not get it to my wallet.

3 Likes

You do not need to claim the rewards. Incognito team distributes the rewards every Tuesday.

6 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Not at all. In such cases, “like” is enough (even advised instead of “thank you”). Best.

2 Likes

@ning For the badge: 100 Consecutive Days Visited. Does the below stat for “days visited” account for Consecutive Days or just Cumulative Days?

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 5.04.51 PM

1 Like

stat shows cumulative, badge is for consecutive. :grimacing:

seems like there will probably be plugin for that. i’ll have a look into it if you’re interested.

3 Likes

Im probably not at 100 yet but in a month or so yeah thatd be cool to check on it.

Should we add the “Badge Scavenger” badge as well? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

@Jamie Ha, funny. lol. Why create the badges if we’re not actively seeing how we can get them? I believe that’s the point. They were created to incentivize participation, from my understanding in the initial funded proposal by @ning . Or only create badges for tasks that actually materially benefit you as a company, when people “scavenge” for them. :upside_down_face:

I think badges are fine just the way they are.

1 Like

Hey everyone - here’s a March update and suggestions for April.

Time means nothing when you’re self quarantined I guess, because I can’t believe we launched this just 3 weeks ago!

Since March 9th, the conversation around this initiative has grown and is honestly my favorite on this forum (might be biased of course). it’s even made its way to other threads – check out how the community nominated, designed, and presented @hungngo with the database crusher badge!

Thanks to everyone who helped me improve the MVP - @0x123 for making me think more carefully about spam issues (and suggesting a color scheme that works with dark mode), @mike_despo for being the premier badge hunter, @abduraman for being the most enthusiastic bug finder, and @mike_wagner for being 10/10 and designing the best and funniest badges! And many others for playing along, asking good questions, and sharing the love.

For April, I’ll start distributing and assigning rewards for the novel badges – such as @mike_wagner’s bug finder badge, the builder badge for everyone who is building/has built something for any part of the incognito ecosystem, the inspired badge for the best ideas, and so on.

I’d also love to hear your thoughts on what other novel badges should be created – see the ‘other section’ for the current list: https://incognito.org/badges

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 11.39.52 AM

I’ve also been thinking about setting up a system where people can ‘apply’ for a novel badge, nominate people they think deserve one, and vote on nominees! hopefully, as the community grows, it’ll be hard for me to keep track of everything - so would be great to get the community involved if you guys are keen. what do you think is the best way to do this?

Let me know your thoughts - what should we do in April (and maybe beyond)?

12 Likes

:tada: :tada: :tada:

I like this!

Here’s another idea I’ve thought of @ning and @andrey. What about implementing a badge and reward connected to doing a Mini Mission!
So, there are the big projects where people apply for funding and detail their tasks that they need to complete over one, two, three months. But how bout a Mini Mission Badge where you can, for just that week, propose a Mini Mission you will complete - like onboarding 2 new people to Discourse. Or creating a YouTube video about Nodes. Or… well, there is no limit of options… it’s up to each person’s imagination!

You could earn a Mini Missionaire Badge each week. You earn 5 to 20 PRV if you complete the mission. All it takes is saying what your Mini Mission is, and having at least 5 ppl voting Yes and a Core Incog Team giving their blessing.

It would create a more concentrated form of the larger proposals, where we could keep more casual users engaged and productive and helping out! :wink:

10 Likes

I like the idea of badges for people who create something, even if it is a small gadget kind of thing. Maybe a few user developers can work together.

It is not easily gamified and brings value to the project. I assume we are not just looking for ways to blindly increase the number of users on the platform.

6 Likes

Yes I like this too! I was gonna make it the builder badge - or do you have something different in mind?

1 Like

I definitely think this is a fun idea! It’s sort of the opposite of the wanted category.

We’d need a few good examples to kick off though, and they shouldn’t overlap existing badges (plus have strict rules in place to avoid spammers/money that’s a bit too easy to get). If you wanna take the lead on this and put up a proposal for a reward budget (and prv for your time), I’m happy to support you!

You can even nominate a ‘board’ of sorts to vote on these missions :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@Mike_Wagner badge #2 looks great and has my vote! :+1:

1 Like

Hey @ning, I tried “Make wiki” option.

Region capture 9

I thought a Wikipedia-like effect, but nothing was done :slight_smile: What does it exactly do?

2 Likes