(Outdated post) Network Explorer

:warning: Possible wrong aggregated values on pDEX Overview :warning:

I see a significant discrepancy between the total pDEX volume in USD calculated by Incscan and by Nomics.

Investigation in progress.

Please don’t celebrate the 100 millions total volume before the end of this investigation :wink:

4 Likes

Discrepancy found!

Nomics use pDEX trades list to recalculate everything in USD. So if they see a pETH-pUSDT trade, they’ll take the base or the quote of this trade, and calculate USD volume as (base or quote price in USD * trade amount). But this kind of trades is a cross-pair trade.

Incscan uses the real pDEX volume to calculate USD aggregated values. So in the case of a cross-pair trade like pETH-pUSDT, it generates 2 different volumes : one on PRV-pETH and one on PRV-pUSDT. So every cross pair trade generates 2 times the volume of the trade.

Question to the community:

Do you prefer Nomics or Incscan method to calculate total volume?

(I could display both methods on Incscan)

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

IMHO the current Incscan method is the more accurate representation of volume. When a cross-pair trade is executed, it does create two separate trades. Any trader could create the same volume by executing the PRV-pETH trade first, waiting to receive the PRV in their account, then execute the PRV-USDT trade. Or they could just make use of the cross-pair feature of the pDEX, and go get a sandwich while the two trades are executed automagically.

Functionally these are no different. In both cases there will be a PRV-pETH trade and a PRV-USDT trade. To the trader it may look like a single trade, but it’s not. It is two trades.

Thus I wouldn’t characterize the current Incscan methodology as generating “2 times the volume of the trade”. Rather it’s more accurate to characterize the Nomics method as representing half the actual market volume – at least with non-PRV pairs.

4 Likes

Thanks Mike for your message!

I forgot another possibility in my initial message: As Nomics uses Incscan endpoints to get trades list, I could send them cross pool trades as 2 trades so global volume would be ok on Nomics too.

Pros: Real volume
Cons: It will hide all cross pool trades and pairs, they’ll only process PRV-* trades so we’ll see trading activity only on PRV-* pairs

@ Incognito team : any preference?

1 Like

How about putting pDEX volume chart into Simple and/or Advanced Dashboard page too?

Personally i prefer the current Incscan method, yet i cant say for the whole team. Im sure the rest will give input soon (most on Lunar New Year holiday right now).

2 Likes

is that something you check very often? (daily volume + total volume already on advanced dashboard)

Not very often but often :slight_smile: In fact, I request it for the newcomers since it shows how the project is growing and is used so well at a first glance. The other information in Dashboard shows just snapshots.

Incognito pDEX is not only a place to buy and sell PRV but a place where you can trade buy and sell other crypto anonymously. From this perspective, it’s important to show the real volume of cross pool trades (BTC <> USDT, or BTC <> XMR).

If we have the options:

1. to show big total trading volume numbers
  2. to show smaller volume but calculate cross - pool numbers

I would choose the second one. Simply, it doesn’t matter if numbers are smaller, but it matters that ppl can use Incognito tech for anonymous cross-pool trading.

4 Likes

Thanks @andrey , so my proposal is:

• I don’t change api endpoints with external indexers like Nomics, so they display a smaller volume but with cross pool trades.
  • I keep the “big” volume on Incscan but I add infos about the “small” volume
    • on pDEX overview (maybe by adding a new line in the volume chart)
    • on PRV-* markets page, I try to differentiate the volume that came from PRV-* trades and cross pool trades.
    • Cross pool “fake” volume is already displayed on cross pool markets page.

My main concern is the discrepancy between external indexers and Incscan, it could be weird for a new user to see different numbers so I need to display/explain why volumes are differents (and I don’t want to remove real “big” volume numbers).

4 Likes

Proposal deployed:

• On a PRV-* market, chart looks like:
    Capture d’écran 2021-02-11 à 22.16.55
    It shows the real volume (the “big” volume) and the volume without cross pool trades (the “small” volume)

• On pDEX overview, volume chart looks like:
    Capture d’écran 2021-02-11 à 22.14.37
    So 2 lines for the volume, the “big” volume and the “small” volume, the last one matches with Nomics numbers.

Idk how to name “big” and “small” volumes, if you’ve an idea, please share.

3 Likes

Here’s my suggestion –

• Big Volume = Aggregate Volume
  • Small Volume = Synthesized Volume

You may still need a small explainer popup/text/link for each, something like:

• Aggregate Volume represents the real trading volume of the pDEX. This volume will only represent volume of PRV market pairs. These trades include both underlying trades of cross-pair trades, as well as non-cross-pair solo PRV trades.

• Synthesized Volume represents trading volume of cross-trade pairs. An executed cross-trade pair links two PRV pairs. For example, the cross-pair market pUSDT-pBTC will execute two trades, one each in PRV-pUSDT and PRV-pBTC. The two underlying trades are not represented in this volume graph. Instead the value of the trade is used to represent trade volume in cross-pair markets.

5 Likes

Capture d’écran 2021-02-11 à 23.06.08

Thank you Mike!

4 Likes

Thanks again Mike, here is my new proposal for aggregate and synthesized volume:

Synthesized volume displayed on overview and chart lines named:

Capture d’écran 2021-02-13 à 19.09.32

Tooltip shown on total volumes (tooltip content = copy paste of Mike descriptions):

Capture d’écran 2021-02-13 à 19.09.51

4 Likes

This looks amazing @inccry!

Would you consider moving the chart line names to the bottom of the chart, consistent with the way you display multiple chart lines on the Validator page?

As is, the chart lines names will always partially obscure the last two weeks of volume.

5 Likes

yep, done!

6 Likes

Great work! Alway so impressed ( and slightly jealous) with what you have created.

1 Like

Superb work you have done so far!

Incscan votes have been disabled: It was an experiment, it’s time to conclude that it’s a failed one :wink:

Coin & Pair of the month will remain, it will be chosen by me every month.

6 Likes

Sorry to hear that @inccry… question if I may…why do you think the experiment of the incscan vote failed?.. :sunglasses: