Node Earnings Statistics - Updated 5/2/22

More nodes generally have less time between earnings, when all earnings are combined. As an operator you don’t earn at a higher APY – you have more frequent earning events.

Node substitution is random. As more Nodes join the network, the interval between earning events increases.

Consider a single node. With the current number of validators (around 2700), a single node may have earning events once every two to three weeks.

Now consider operating 8 nodes. Each individual node would still have the same random interval for earning events - about once every two to three weeks. But with 8 nodes, all earning at different times, you would see a more steady stream of earning events. But you might see an earning event every few days: e.g. Node 3 earns on a Monday, Node 1 on Thursday, Nodes 6 and 2 on Saturday and Node 1 again on Sunday.

The APY will still be about the same. It doesn’t scale much. The majority of the cost is in the stake. Some savings can be created by operating multiple Nodes on a single host. However that cost savings is not as significant as it was once was, with the rising value of the PRV stake.

6 Likes

Thanks! I’m excited to stake my first node. I’ve almost got enough transferred over to meet the threshold.

6 Likes

No problem. Don’t hesitate to ask questions. The community may be small and tight-knit however we are always excited to welcome new people and participation.

8 Likes

I am going to post an update soon. Earnings have been relatively consistent, even after the recent dip in price which seemed to coincide with other major coins.

How’s everyone’s nodes doing?

3 Likes

I am not tracking my earnings closely enough to know for sure, but I feel there is an increase in being selected. Not bad at all.

1 Like

I have been tracking mine but haven’t reported out yet. I’d say I saw a decrease through April, but then a slight jump in the last 1-2 months, which is consistent with the reduced number of validators (about 300 of them went offline in the last month), and reduced token value (which is pretty much across the board thanks to BTC’s volatility and crashes). The overall $ value of weekly earnings has gone down but earnings in terms of weekly PRV has gone up. Also, after the recent change, I’m seeing more nodes being selected (in a given week), but none of my nodes have earned more than 2 epochs. Also, it is very rare to see a node earn more than 20PRV in a given week.

3 Likes

I would have to agree with most of what @sid stated in his post…One thing I have noticed is that the frequency of a node being selected has gone up slightly as compared to the past but indeed no more than 2 epochs has a node been selected back to back…Overall though things have been improving… :sunglasses:

1 Like

This is a good point. I used to have nodes earn for 3 epochs many, many times. More often than not, actually. And not they all earn 2 epochs, every single time. I haven’t seen a 3 earning cycle in well over a month or more now.

3 Likes

Ok all, I posted a new update on Node earnings. Check it out above. Nodes are still a great investment, especially if you believe in the future of Incognito.

1 Like

Hey, @Mike_Despo I remember when you first started this string, and well Bro big kudos and congrats on having kept the string alive and well the data current and relevant as well. It is truly a testament to your dedication to your investment and to the Incognito community cause I know many most likely stay abreast of your work and well it goes without saying that new users most likely pop in here seeking that so elusive answer to that question…" so how much do I make? "…lol and well us old-timers if one could be called that just due to how much longer we have been around these parts and with the experience gained…will be of the opinon that there is no one exact answer to that question due to so many variables so all we can give is a guesstimate but nothing else…regardless…thanks Mike for the great work you have done with this baby… :sunglasses: :100: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for doing this @Mike_Despo. Why is there a lot of n/a in the latest graph? Also is there a story behind the nodes that are experiencing “-” for several weeks?

1 Like

“-” means the node was not staked for that week, for whatever reason I had at the time.

And the last few weeks show “n/a” because I’ve stopped recording to the chart how much each individual node makes as I find it unnecessary and cumbersome. So now I only record the total earnings of all nodes for the week, as a lump sum. In the next update there will be a new graph that reflects this so that I don’t have to keep writing in “n/a.”

Totally agree with you. I guess there was some point to recording individual nodes when there was total randomness in the selection. I have actually restaked all my nodes with a shared --rewardAddress for convenience, so all my earnings fall on the same node. Looking forward to new graphs!

How often do you update this thread? I haven’t checked it since the last post in June, because I don’t get notifications when you only edit.

I think back in the day there was so much doubting in the community that one node earned more than other nodes and worry that there were extreme inconsistencies because someone with one node would see it not earn for 5 weeks and get all freaked out… so instead of eye rolling at the conspiracy theories, I set out to prove that there was actually a pattern. Earning was always based on probability and that reflected in the individual nodes’ earnings when looked at over time (months.)

WHAAAAT??? Can you DM me on how to do this? That would be an absolute game changer for me.

I used to update it every week, but stopped over the past 6 months as interest dropped out. Though I kept doing it for myself, I just wouldn’t post it here. @Jared asked if I could continue as we reopen back up to the world again.

5 Likes