How Can We Make Better Post On Reddit or Other Social Media

Hi Everyone,

I would like to address what i see to be a major limitation to incognito, and it is our trust worthiness on social media sites like reddit. I see one of the main challenges of a privacy centric layer 2 to be presenting this platform as trustworthy, and to be honest, I think we can do better. I am seeing on social media (mainly reddit) that people see repeatedly see incognito as a scam. The main reasons for this is

(1) Our source code is both open and closed

(2) To my knowledge there hasn’t been and audit of the code either (please correct me if I’m wrong)

(3) Confusion about owning pBTC and not BTC, or pETH and not ETH, etc

(4) When nasayers have brought these points up or simply question about tokenization, they either weren’t explained well or at all by the OP

By not addressing these points, I think we aren’t making it psychologically easy for people to join and I simply think we should deeply care about people trusting us. I want people to feel every bit as confident in this platforms trust worthiness as say a coinbase or binance. Even more so since they own your Private Keys!

The most common reason for our trustworthiness is a good point, concerning how the liquidity and volume has grown immensely, but there must be a better argument as to why people should trust this wallet/DEX than simply, “other people use and trust it”.

So I am proposing that we create a thread that is easily referencable/ linkable, which has clear and simple explanations of why and how the deposits of coins into an incognito wallet remain yours and only yours. This ought to be understandable to a CC beginners with links to the code and or other resources for those that wish to do the deep dive into the proof. I have to admit that doing such work is beyond my capability at the moment, as I am a new member here, amd still getting familiar with the network, but seeing as this concern has already come up more than once in the short time i’ve been here I figured it worth all of our time. There have been multiple comments on post about incognito on reddit that ask “what’s the exit strategy?” And such a comment was simply not addressed. This honestly looks terrible…

If anyone has any ideas or content that they would like to produce or share as to why/how the coins in your incognito wallet are your own and will forever stay that way, I would be greatly appreciate it. Also, I think we ought to remember this point when posting on social media, especially reddit, as building trust in our network is going to be the greatest boost to growth imho.

Thanks for Reading

7 Likes

I cant answer to a lot of this, but I believe I heard on the last monthly call they are actually in the works of getting an audit done.

1 Like

hey @918273645, thank you for sharing such feedback. I just answered under the same post on Reddit.

We already work on the first 3 bullet points:

1. @aaron will bring clarity to which parts of the project is open-sourced, which not, why, and when it will be open-sourced
  2. Audit is in progress, first report will be published within several weeks
  3. We will try to bring more clarity and explanation on how it works on a new, completely redesigned website, that comes this March
  4. This part I missed. Could you please link us to that conversation?
2 Likes

Thanks for your reply,

In terms of other aspect to look at,

I think your rebuild of the website will be a really important asset to the project. It is the main source of educational material for any prospective new user, and should be a beacon of clarity and information. More on this point, there was an other post I made today in which another redditor mentioned he took all of his funds off incognito yesterday becuase of not fully understanding the projects protocols. (I supported his decision as we ought to support people to making descions with their own money, and simply provided him with some good clear information about the pipes of the project. He responded very well to the information and i think he will join again once the audit is complete)

As to Number 4, it is not about the Incognito team memeber, or anything on the incognito sub, but rather more about howregular people who use incognito need to be cognizant that they are being a rep form the platform and need to really take such claims seriously. If they can’t be a strong, knowledgable advocate, they ought not be a vocal one. As they can do more harm than good. This is a link to a missed opportunity in my eyes…

What has given me the confidence in the project has been my own time looking into the smart contracts, validator protocol, and custodian protocol. Seeing the time people have spent building one the platform. I get the feeling you guys are building something that you want to last, and I believe the goal is necessary, as public ledgers are flawed from a privacy perspective. I am no expert, and i’m sure something could of easily getunder my nose, but I had the say misgivings about depositing coins onto the wallet. The difference is I took the time to research the project, join the community, and I think that is a tall order for the average user. Once again, I really believe that what the incognito team is doing is important and needs to be done, so if you guys need anything from me let me know.

Further I am aware that Andrey mentioned that the audit was coming out some time around the end of 2020 last may, and his post a few weeks ago mentioned incognito went with the same firm that auditted Zcash (good call imho) and I am I very happy to hear that it is happening. I think a ton of more people will join once that audit is out and give a green light. Thanks for all the work you guys do!

4 Likes