Why is my pNode executing DoS Attacks?

Hello @Ace2021 thanks for your patience. A Node is actually a small computer (NUC) that runs Incognito’s code. Your network issue is likely specific to your device, which means our developers might need to look at it. To find out what happened to your Node specifically, we need to check it manually.

There are two ways to do it:
1/ Remotely connect to the Node that I have explained above. With your help, the team will connect to your screen via third-party software (Teamviewer). You are free to monitor what we are doing on your screen and stop the session whenever you want.
2/ If you’d rather not share your screen, we can get the Node back to the warehouse and examine it there. We will keep you posted on the result.

We are now working on publishing all the pNode code open source, and cases like yours contribute greatly to the process. Thanks for bearing with technical issues; the team is already working on resolving them for good. Soon, there will be a detailed post with further details.

5 Likes

To clarify - the team’s official position on this currently is that some pNodes may send out dangerous-looking unwanted network traffic without any instruction to do so simply because it is a small computer? I mean, I’m not a computer genius, but I’m just experienced enough to be confused by the claim that a computer that is highly-controlled and purpose-built for a pNode would send loads of unwanted traffic because of some problem specific to one person’s device. So I just wanted to clarify that I wasn’t misunderstanding and that this was, in fact, the team’s official position on the claim of DoS attacks from pNodes. Clarity is important because a lot of eyes are on this thread waiting for the official position of the team on the issue.

1 Like

I would say the official position (without having a chance to take a closer look at the node in question yet) of the team would be:

Peter is merely clarifying what the node is, and why it is needed for the team to have access to that node, or have the node returned.

It is taking a while, that is not good, but is that due to the issue, or due to the meeting not taking place yet? I don’t know.

I do know it would help the team to know if others see this behavior as well.

Will the team connect to the node itself using teamviewer or to a computer that is connected to the pNode? I don’t see much risk if they are connecting just to your pNode although you could disconnect all other devices on the network while they are remote accessing.

Hiya @Ace2021…my question to you is that did you finally get a hold or get your issued looked at by the dev team from Incognito…I understand your apprehension about them connecting to you via teamviewer but unless there is remote access to diagnose the issue the only other way is for you to send the pnode to them for inspection and fix at their warehouse…that way we can all actually can come to know what happened with your pnode… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nodes should be open sourced! or maybe we are all running botnets ? :joy:

2 Likes

It can’t be open sourced just like that due to the code to stake the node with funded stake being present. It is said to be open sourced any time this year, I think.

nothing specific to Incognito then. Its the same for every open source wallets or other blockchains validators /miners. But yes I know its long and sensitive topic

I am not sure what you are saying.

This is simply not true. There are cryptographic researchers that work here are there not? Cryptography is what would would protect team staked funds. Open source is not a risk it’s an advantage

Perhaps they don’t want the code open because it isn’t doing what is advertised

1 Like

The pNode has the same code as the vNode, as far as I know, with the automatic funding feature added to it. The vNode code is open sourced. Use that if you don’t trust the pNode code.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:…this is the thread that just keeps on giving and giving…ughhh…lol… :sunglasses:

Pnode is not running the same code as vnode, system resources do not allow for that to happen. Pnode uses lightweight mobile computing, vnode requires 8 cpu cores bare minimum and always pegs out the processor at 200 percent

You are absolutely wrong about vNodes requiring this much computing power.

I run a large amount of vNodes and only see small spikes when they are active.

Perhaps you mean vNodes have high resource usage when first being created? This would be an understandable action as they have to download previous blockchain information.

Could you link me to the page where it gives min system requirements to run a vnode?

Do you not run a vNode?

Specs were given to make sure ample amount of resources were available for a vNode to run properly.

I still never see high utilization unless for short bursts while my nodes are actively earning.

So you don’t want to direct me to that link of min specs required? Okay.

I used to, I could spin up another one to prove a point and report back in 3 days but from what I had found in the past is the codebase is very heavy and it computes ALOT when fully synced (it is a clone of eth2 basically so it does have capability of being quite the beast as far as resource intensity)

No, I don’t want to and don’t have to. I’m not a dev or team member but a community member. I’m also on mobile atm. You can search the forum just like everyone else.

Let’s do this. Spin one up and report back in 3 days. I guarantee you’re wrong in regards to resource utilization. After the initial sync of previous information nodes fall pretty much dormant.

1 Like

okay I will, maybe I am wrong we will see. I just did a quick search and found this : How to run Incognito Chain Full Node on Mainnet

so perhaps this device will run stable with full node

1 Like