How to create a Vnode on Contabo

Iā€™m using AWS and havenā€™t had an issue yet, itā€™s about 25 a month it seems like. Thinking about switching but how did they close your account?

Hey, Joe, I was using their free plan, so thatā€™s likely why I had an issue. They shut the server down and notified me. I had them spin it back up long enough to unstake and move on.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! Got a little concerned haha

1 Like

Got paid, on both multi vnodes on this

1 Like

May I ask why the USA location would be better? Or is it just because it is geographically closer to you.

1 Like

Thanks @palumboe1 ! Sadly having some issues, Iā€™ve got docker running fine but adding a virtual node results in this error. It finds the server I think, but has a ā€˜Fix itā€™ button which isnā€™t too helpful and also says I have a missing account and the option to Import.

Is the import error there because I messed up the validator key? Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

@tigs Letā€™s check your run.sh file to make sure the validator key is tied correctly be this command: nano run.sh

3 Likes

Will do!

Thanks @Peter

1 Like

Hello @palumboe1,

First, thank you for preparing this helping post.

But is there any reason for you to say that:

and not to get the most basic one?

In:

the minimum server requirements are:

• 4GB RAM
  • 4 CPUs
  • 50GB SSD

And the most basic plan in Contabo covers it with:

• 8GB RAM
  • 4 CPUs
  • 200GB SSD

Isnā€™t it enough?

And, last question is also @Staker question above:

Why do you think is useful to have US hosting?

1 Like

The plans changed. Every plan that meets the requirements we stated, will do just fine.

To select USA may be a personal preference but would also make the network a little more ā€œspread around the worldā€ so to say. In theory people can sign up with every host they want, in practice it seems many people sign up with the hosts we mention. There is a small risk if this host has a major fallout, it would affect the network more than we hope for.

To my knowledge @palumboe1 is not active here anymore. Maybe he will prove me wrong.

4 Likes

It doesnā€™t matter where your VPS is located at as long as they have a stable and reliable internet connection and meet the minimum specs like @Jamie said.

As far as which VPS to choose I would not recommend picking the lowest tier that meets specs if you plan on running more than 1 node. I personally have 9 nodes running on my VPS without issue.

4 Likes

Thank you, @Jamie.

Wow, @Jared, 9 nodes? In which VPS plan?

2 Likes

I have the VPS M SSD. Although I believe Iā€™m at the max of what it can do now.

2 Likes

In Contabo, right?

Yes. Been running now for 2 months without issue.

Only small thing I ran into was they needed more information on signup to verify I actually was trying to signup and someone wasnā€™t using my information.

I will note that I didnā€™t add 9 nodes from the beginning. I started with 4 and add one whenever I have enough PRV to add another node.

3 Likes

Thank you, very much for the information!

2 Likes

@Jared Appreciate the info. I setup a server with multiple IPs, but how did you separate the nodes on one server and have each IP segmented?

You only need 1 IP address. Youā€™re not required to have a separate IP address for each node. Just a separate port #.

Thereā€™s a community member who wrote an excellent script for setting up more than 1 docker instance per vNode. The app is not allowing me to copy the link. Iā€™ll do it via desktop when I have a chance.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for this! Appreciate your help!

1 Like

No problem. Just trying to be a good neighbor :sweat_smile: :grin:

Hereā€™s the link to the multi vnode script if you still need it.

6 Likes