Your thoughts on the app: a quick October survey

Okay just thinking out loud here, let me know what you think:

1. Let’s say we use pDEX stablecoin pricings. Would it then be confusing for users if your USD value in the incognito app was different than in other wallets/sites?

2. If we use CMC prices for everything external (probably the most straightforward), would it be confusing if you couldn’t find that price in the pDEX? If you clicked on trade from the bitcoin coin detail screen for example, and saw a different price for the amount shown previously?

3. I think your idea about letting users choose a pair is a good one. If we do explore that, which should be the default? Would new users be able to easily wrap their head around adjusting preferences based on a pair that may not be immediately relevant to them?

1 Like

It already is different, and most likely they are having to do what I am doing and manually converting it anyways… so I am not sure if it is any different. Also, hopefully (which is a big assumption), if a person using the app knows it is a DEX, they should also know that DEXs all have slightly different prices… so I am not sure if this is a problem that needs to be solved.

I could see this being an issue, as if they are looking at price in BTC and then goto pDEX to trade and the amount forecasted in pDEX is substantially different, there would be confusion.

If stablecoins cause too much of an issue becuase there are too many options/variables… then I would say BTC… sites I goto usually give BTC or USD as options… so BTC might be the most straight forward, and then allowing user to change that in settings to a different coin in pDEX if wanted. I know from my point of view, if I saw BTC I would think that is standard, and then look in settings to see if I could change it to some USD equivalent… I have already been trained to do this from my other apps, so it might be a common user experience for others too… Guess this might be a good time for other users to give feedback as well.

1 Like

thanks @doc. a USD toggle has been on the list for a while… would like to have it worked out.

on a relevant note, @marko, @doc - since this USD price will be actually in the pdex, it would make the most sense to me to be pdex dependent. does this complicate the slippage concept/increase the mental juggling the user has to do?

1 Like

I am not that active with other wallets and would be lost with BTC unit prices. This probably goes for people who’s first steps in the crypto world are with Incognito as well. Being able to change the unit in settings would be a must in this scenario.

A difference between other sites and Incognito app, doesn’t have to be a problem. The Assets tab can state something like “Shielded Balance in USDT pDEX value” to clarify.

3 Likes

@ning Can USD price be hard coded to $1.00? Whether it’s USDC or USDT—just set it to $1.00 ?

I’d just call it USD value, everyone knows and can assume that USDC or USDT can trade slightly above or below the $1 peg.

Is the problem that there would need to be an external price feed for USD/EUR/etc? I agree to avoid that it’s difficult.

1 Like

A choice between BTC and USD (in any form) is probably enough. Most people are more or less familiar with the balance between their own coin (for example, Euro) and USD.

3 Likes

I can’t seem to duplicate the problem but I’ve had it happen on many occurrences where I have to click the back button 4-5 times. The back button from trading should go to the home screen but it goes to provide, and then maybe back again goes to assets, and then back to trading, and then finally to the home screen. It’s acting as a back button in a browser, but the odd thing is that most often I’m going to the home screen before selecting a new menu item. Sometimes I just want a “home” button and get back to the home screen.

1. A black mode for battery saving and night time is super high on my list. And not the dark grey = garbage, pure oled black is the way to go! If possible, the community page could have a dark mode too but I realize that is browser side

2. Also, about usd prices not matching cmc. I actually think it would be great just to show our prices. Sure sometimes btc may be higher then somewhere else, but I want to KNOW when I can get btc cheaper then anywhere else. I dont think we have to fear showing the honest prices. Otherwise its nearly unusable. Most people don’t take the time I do to reverse check all exchange prices.

3. In trading I can enter in the top number but not the bottom. Sometimes id like to buy whole coins this is easier done if I can put numbers in either slot.

4. I know its contentious but you know my ui wishlist :wink: we need PRICE FEED LINES either 24hr, a week or toggle for both. A week duration would be best. I need to see how my assets have been performing in the prv ecosystem. If prices show as wonky thats just opportunity for arbitrage with should have a stabilizing effect.

5. CRYPTO ICONS for quick identification

If you wanted to be cheeky, when the app thanks the user for providing liquidity, the provide more button could say “my pleasure” or “your welcome” or “no prob boss” instead of OK. It could even cycle 20 fun replies wich might be a fun experience for the provider. Hmmm what will I get this time?

The app is performing smoother and smoother let me know if you need any help with ui visuals, I’d love to chip in

4 Likes

One last thing, beginners may get trapped if they run out of prv. Say I’m new and I provide my one prv, well now I am stuck. Perhaps a warning like “your prv is getting dangerously low, you may have trouble unshielding or transferring funds if you go below X” with the option “proceed, i live life on the edge”, and a second option “leave X for me please”

4 Likes

Hey @ning, big time Shill here, many of us were wondering on telegram if you all could include a slippage warning in the preview section of all trades going forward, and if possible, a max percentage slippage option?
Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance!

2 Likes

YES!!! This!!!

And #6 idea: I would like the app to be able to calculate the unshielding fee even if I don’t have a balance. Users should be able to explore the app and all costs for using it. It’s not nice that they can only find out the unshielding fee once they have shielded coins. I know it changes based on the network, but the unshilding fees are MUCH HIGHER than I think most people would guess.

1 Like
  1. @JoyRaptor @sato @Tranbr yes - this is been on the list for a while, but there are so many important features and annoying bugs that it keeps falling to the wayside… the app team is not huge, so we’ll probably get to it when things calm down a bit. at this stage, its very much utility over aesthetics i’m afraid!

@joyraptor,

1. yep we’re discussing that now, and hope to have the USD value shown within the next few weeks.

2. You can tap the little button in the middle to flip the pair. Does that help?

3. :sweat_smile: okay i’ll bring it to the team. buuuuut… this doesn’t need to be/isn’t the only wallet in the ecosystem! ours has gone minimal and basic, but i believe some others are building more investor-friendly wallets. you should def team up - i’d love to see your ideas implemented!

4. we’re still evenly split on this… also pretty distracted by improving performance and trying to get HD wallet up and running. will let you know if we make any decisions in the near future!

hm. currently users can also pay BTC, ETH, USDT etc. when unshielding or trading… I do see your point tho! will discuss with the team.

thank you, and will do! from our side, the priorities are still getting the app to run well, but when we get a little space to breathe (if ever…), that’s when we can have a bit more fun.

thanks for these interesting ideas!

4 Likes

hey ya - in the works, should land in a few weeks! not sure about a customizable option (still discussing), but that information and a warning for sure.

there kind of already is a slippage accounting baked in - 1% variance between price at the time of trade request and price at the time of trade execution. that’s why ‘max price’ it always looks like at least 1% is off - but the trade will go through if its that price or better. you used to be able to adjust this, but we chose a default 1% to simplify the UI as there aren’t that many trades at the moment, so they should all go through just fine, or better. we had many many users in the beginning that found the old trade interface confusing… so we stripped it down, and generally, it seems to be working better.

however,

i guess you guys are more so talking about slippage or price impact due to low liquidity. that’s a little different, and will need to be built. i agree that this is very important - and we’ll be prioritizing it .

to start with, we need to fix the issue where the trade detail shows the max price (which as previously mentioned, accounts for a default 1% slippage that the app sets), not the actual price the trade was executed at (and the actual amount that was received in Assets). receive history is coming soon (maybe today), so that should help things.

so things are moving - be patient with us, we’ll get there!

4 Likes

:sweat_smile: as it works now, we can only calculate the fee when the amount has been entered. there’s a weird way to get around it - where you just enter any amount (even if balance is insufficient), and the fee will generate. but it won’t be accurate if you adjust it. we’ll have a look! thanks.

2 Likes

I use that little switching button a lot, glad it exists.

Let’s say I want to buy EXACTLY one Ethereum.

1. Set top to eth & bottom to prv
  2. Type 1 into the top, see
  3. Try to remember that number
  4. Tap the switch number
  5. Enter that number and execute

Compare to this workflow:

1. Set bottom to eth
  2. Type 1 into the bottom, and execute.

It gets even more useful for cross pairs. Because pricing is not always reversibly even.

1 Like

yep fair enough - was just suggesting that button if weren’t using it yet! will add this to the list :slight_smile:

1 Like

It used to work this way but one of the updates made it impossible to do what you’re describing.

oh i see what you mean - it only shows in-network fee if you do it in order. hm.

what i tried was entering the address first, and then the amount (the fee generates that way). obviously not ideal - so your point is taken!

2 Likes

Idea #7: It would be nice to be able to enter a contract address to shield any coin. And for the unverified coins already listed, it would be nice to verify the contract address to make sure that it’s accurate.

(Is there a process for anyone to enter/list an unverified coin? Maybe I’m just unaware. And what might happen if I sent an unlisted coin to the ETH address—is there a way to access it?) Sorry for so many posts—I just let this dwell on me for many days. I hope it’s helpful.

that’s an interesting idea, but you can’t quite shield any coin yet - just those from supported blockchains. also, even from supported blockchains, say Ethereum, there are some coins whose mechanisms don’t play well with ours (rebase coins come to mind). for this reason, some coins will not show up in the app, though you can of course interact directly with the chain if you really want to.

these are edge cases however, so to clarify - you can directly add a coin from a supported blockchain to the app - you just need to tap Add a coin -> Add manually (scroll to the bottom). And enter the details of that coin.

as for being able to view the contract address, both verified and unverified coins will have a little information icon next to their names in the coin detail screen.

process to get verified for custom incognito tokens here:

as for non-native tokens, you can simply submit a request to the team. this is manual for now.

no problem. keep em coming!

5 Likes