What is it like emotionally (stress level) to run a node?

What is a day in the life of a node operator like?

I haven’t staked a node yet even though I have now accumulated far more than enough. What is it like emotionally and stress levels with running a node? Is it something you constantly check? How do you know if it’s running correctly?

Provide is consistent returns that I can count on and I can’t screw it up. I’ve had other masternodes over the years that require babysitting, at least occasionally. They all have earned pretty regularly though so I can easily know if they are not working properly. Incongito node is a little strange in how infrequently it earns.

Does anyone have any insights?

1 Like

If you don’t want to run them yourself there are some services like jservers and an other one opened recently. They manage the node and you get the returns as it is link to your own validator key. You just need to stake it.

Regarding vNode run by yourself it is not so complicated but you have to be somewhat familiar or not afraid to dive in code, modem parameters and so on.

Once they are staked there is not much to do. Just wait to be selected. But sometimes there are some problems you have to deal with and you need to check your node (when you check the app and it says it is offline). But there is not much maintenance. Mine which are at home are not even connected to anything (screen mouse and keyboard) just plug into the wall.

1 Like

Running a pNode is more or less plug n play, not too much to worry about. The downside is you need to invest $399.- (plus shipping if outside the US and import tax). A fully staked node currently has around 7% chance to be selected on a daily basis, so it’s reasonable to assume 1-2 selections per month. This said you earn around 18PRV per selection (multiply that by the current price of PRV).

If you have to pay off a pNode it’s kind of a long term goal to pay of your initial investment. Or you speculate on a massive price increase. Running a vNode on a VPS will cost you around 5-10$/month depending on the provider you choose, so should break even and give small returns throughout the year. But you need to set up the Linux system yourself and secure it on your own. Our you can pay somebody to do this for you like jservers mentioned above but this comes with a fee of course.

A lot of things to consider, but for sure from the stress level point of view the pNode is the easiest…

Once a node is setup and running (which takes a bit of configuration), how much effort beyond that? Do you ever go for weeks or months of not earning just to realize the node glitched and you missed out on earnings?

I haven’t set it up yet, but there is a telegram bot that will alert you when your node status changes. So if your node goes offline it’ll tell you. I imagine this would allow you to troubleshoot any issues before weeks to months pass with no earnings.

So far the most nerve wracking thing is waiting the 5-10 minutes it takes for the crypto you send from outside incognito the show up in the wallet. All the while you triple checked the addresses and coin but still wondering that you somehow messed something up and you just lost thousands of dollars.

I think your internet going down is more something to worry about than the node glitching. If you have any doubts, best to use one of the dedicated services, it’s only like 2$-3$ per week.

Speaking from personal experience I have never had a node go longer than like 3 weeks without earning. With that being said, I know there is an “award” for longest non earning streak, and I thinks it’s at like 60 something days. I own several pNodes and vNodes if that matters…

It’s technically possible for you to never get selected to earn, however, this is statistically improbable.

Facts.

Mine is a pnode and I largely ignore it…I check once a day (when i remember) to make sure it is waiting and get excited when it earns but otherwise it doesnt stress me out at all.

1 Like

It depends on how addictive you are.
Each earning cycle lasts about 4 hours. So if your node has not been selected for that earning cycle there is no use to check the screen every 5 seconds until that cycle ends. Some people can’t stay away from that screen though, and get more frustrated with every glance.

Running either form of a node is a great opportunity to help secure the network and to get involved with a project that is doing pretty well but has lots of ways to grow into something even better. With better, comes more valuable.

If earning a lot quickly is your schedule then you may get disappointed. If you have a long term vision, you should be fine.

2 Likes

Good explanation. I don’t mind if it earns slow or fast but I am annoyed if nodes go down and you have to tinker with them.

I think the most important thing is helping to secure the network.