Two-hour time limit on addresses

Okay, I understand the purpose of using one-time use addresses for depositing coins into the wallet. But, I am a bit concerned about having a two-hour time limit on those addresses. For probably a lot of users, that creates two problems.

1. During periods of high network congestion, such as is normally the case with Ethereum, it can sometimes take more than two hours for a transaction to go through. If the receiving address expires while that transaction is still in progress, there’s a good chance that the user will lose his or her coins.

2. This two-hour expiration makes it impossible to directly mine into the Incognito wallet. So, miners have to mine into a non-privacy wallet first, and then transfer the coins to Incognito. That partially defeats the purpose of having a privacy wallet in the first place.

I’d like to suggest that Incognito look at the one-time use mechanism that’s in the Wasabi wallet. In Wasabi, instead of having one-time use addresses expire after two hours, they’re good until the wallet actually receives a deposit. As soon as Wasabi receives a deposit for a particular address, the address disappears. Doing something like this in Incognito would resolve both of the issues that I’ve mentioned above.

2 Likes

Hi @donniet, thank you for posting that here, your statements are right and we also realized the problems. The team was working on a solution for them here. We were trying to address the problems for the Bitcoin bridge first and will apply a similar approach for EVM-based bridges later. The implementation for Bitcoin bridge’s improvement was finished, we were working on QC for it, next steps would be to support the protocol for client sides (e.g. CLI tool and the app).

3 Likes

Okay, many thanks! Until now, I had only shielded Litecoin, and didn’t notice that other coins don’t have the time limit. So, your response helps to clear things up.