[Complete] The whole system paused for scheduled maintenance (July 31, 13:00 to August 1, 13:00 Eastern Time)

Hi everyone,

Maintenance complete
The maintenance is complete, the system is now back up.
When the first time you open the app (v4.5.0) on your phone, you may see all balances are zero in the assets tab, don’t be freaked out, this is just because your coins are still in V1 and they must be converted to V2 to be shown correctly as before.
For more details of the conversion and Privacy V2’s big changes, please look into the topic. Thank y’all for your support!

Maintenance progress 2
The platform has been upgraded successfully. Android users can now update the newer version from Google Play, all features have been unpaused too. For iOS users, please be patient, we released the app on App Store over 4 hours ago, but it’s still pending, probably it will need a few hours more to be rolled out, stay tuned.
Feel free to reach out to us @Support if you have any questions or problems, thanks so much for your support!

Maintenance progress 1
Until August 1, 12:30 Eastern Time, we’ve upgraded Privacy V2 for Incognito chain, backend services, background jobs, and explorer successfully. Transactions V2 (including conversion, transfer, trade, shield, unshield) were also confirmed in blocks without issue.
The team is now focusing on testing the new app but it seems to take more time than expected to be completed, unfortunately. So we will have to extend the maintenance 24 hours more and the new ETA for unpausing is August 2, 13:00 Eastern Time. Everything about the upgrade is still good so far, we will keep you posted once it’s done. Sorry and thank you for your patience!

From July 31, 13:00 to August 1, 13:00 Eastern Time , we will be redeploying the whole system including chain, backend services/jobs and app to upgrade Incognito’s privacy protocol to version 2, so all features will be temporarily paused in this duration.

As an app user, a crucial action you need to take is backing up all keychains of accounts on the app (a.k.a private keys for masterless keychains and recovery phrases for master keychains). The easiest way to do this is using the “Back up” feature in the app’s “Manage keys” and keep those keys in a safe place so that you can recover your funds whenever needed.

Important note: since this is the biggest upgrade of Incognito so far, we will need time for testing after the deploy to ensure everything works correctly before unpausing, please DO NOT make any requests to Incognito platform by using either Incognito app or RPC call during the maintenance period.

For validators, this maintenance will not impact earnings but please make sure your nodes are up to date with the latest Incognito chain’s code.

We hope to complete this as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

14 Likes

Sorry for missing a crucial action an app user needs to take is backing up all keychains of accounts on the app (a.k.a private keys for masterless keychains and recovery phrases for master keychains). The easiest way to do this is using the “Back up” feature in the app’s “Manage keys” and keep those keys in a safe place so that you can recover your funds whenever needed.

PS: Just added this to the original post too.

4 Likes

Such short notice for the biggest upgrade ever is not cool. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

I understand your point of view but please keep in mind that all users should have their private keys backed up from day one. If not, you could drop your phone and not be able to recover your accounts.

Sorry for the bad announcement, but I think there are messages in the notice: privacy v2 release and backing up keychains.

For the former, Privacy V2 has been headed up a few weeks ago - started with the series and then the staging app.

For the latter, this is important but it’s a best practice to do it since day 1 - right after you create a keychain as @Jared said.

As always, we listen to the community’s voice so can you please suggest a solution for the notice so that we can make it better next time. Thanks for your support!

2 Likes

I’m with you 100% on the backing-up of private keys. My comment was not about that, it was about the monetary risk that I could have mitigated by temporarily unshielding my assets and moving them to their native chains prior to the upgrade.

The upgrade notification bulletin in the app could have been sent a week before the upgrade.

Anyway, don’t get me wrong, I love Incognito and sincerely appreciate all the effort that’s put into it. I truly understand the effort because I’m the driving force behind a different blockchain. There are so many moving parts!

3 Likes

Yes, thats my fault not to send out a bulletin sooner, thanks for your suggestion, will try to avoid such kind of “last minute” in next releases.

2 Likes

Good luck with the upgrade! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, the following is progress update for the maintenance,

Until August 1, 12:30 Eastern Time, we’ve upgraded Privacy V2 for Incognito chain, backend services, background jobs, and explorer successfully. Transactions V2 (including conversion, transfer, trade, shield, unshield) were also confirmed in blocks without issue.

The team is now focusing on testing the new app but it seems to take more time than expected to be completed, unfortunately. So we will have to extend the maintenance 24 hours more and the new ETA for unpausing is August 2, 13:00 Eastern Time. Everything about the upgrade is still good so far, we will keep you posted once it’s done. Sorry and thank you for your patience!

17 Likes

Better to have it working than early with bugs!
Just keep us posted.
The only bad scenario happens when you delay without telling us.
Then people freak out.

Eager to see the upgrade!

8 Likes

@duc and @khanhj - I know the team is still working through the maintenance but just wanted to share a quick feedback. I opened the Incognito app on my android and it told me I need to update my app. When I let it update, it doesn’t do it automatically from the play store. I think it requires me to uninstall the app and do a new install, similar to an issue we’ve had in the past that only impacted android phones (not Apple).

The team may already be aware of this and may be working towards it.

1 Like

@sid Have you seen the “Update” button instead of “Open” on the Google Play?

The update button doesn’t show up. It only shows uninstall and open. I believe we had a similar issue on of the previous app updates, that only impacted select android users. I had to uninstall and reinstall last time, which required restoring all keychains/accounts and adding all nodes back. I know the team fixed this back then later.

Have same thing happening on IOS. App says to update but no update available in Apple yet

I believe there is a little delay from the backend of Google services until this update is pushed to users.

I’d advise everyone else to continue checking back every hour or so. It will show up eventually.

Try two or three times with “open”

Update: it works for me now. I see the “update” button on Google Play! I’m going to wait to convert my coins from V1 to V2, until after the full migration is complete.

1 Like

“provide” is disabled?

Staking funds are safu?

We’re still waiting for the update to be available for iOS users too before re-enabling all features (including Provide) on the app.
FYI: the update has been pushed out on the App Store a few hours ago but still not available yet. Stay tuned, will keep you guys posted once it completes.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is another update for the maintenance,

The platform has been upgraded successfully. Android users can now update the latest version from Google Play, all features have been unpaused too. For iOS users, please be patient, we released the app on App Store over 4 hours ago, but it’s still pending, probably it will need a few hours more to be rolled out, stay tuned.

Feel free to reach out to us @Support if you have any questions or problems.
Thanks so much for your support!

5 Likes