Step-By-Step: How I built a Virtual Node on World's Smallest Mini PC

I made an edit for clarity:

Your point still stands!

2 Likes

Wow this is amazing. I’m lucky to have stumbled upon this article I don’t remember how I got here but I’m glad that I did lol. I have 2 pNodes up and running right now. Unfortunately both of them are being fronted by the Incognito team which means I’m not getting the exact amount of PRV rewards that I might be getting otherwise, so this is a very attractive looking option.

I love the idea of passive crypto rewards and will definitely bookmark this for some more exploration. I’ve spent dozens of hours trying to get my raspberry pi up and running for something crypto related to absolute frustration and no results so this trying this seems very promising - especially considering you seem to not be super tech savvy like myself lol xD

EDIT: Damn the LarkBox seems fairly difficult to get a hold of. Looks like it’s over $300 in most places and EU shipping mostly :frowning: In Canadian dollars, where I’m from, this would be able $500 CAD which is about what I paid for my pNode’s at the end of the day as well. So hmmmmmm!!! :thinking:

2 Likes

This LarxBox will require you to stake 1,750 PRV yourself. If you have that kind of PRV already, you might as well unstake your pNode and restake it with that PRV. From that moment on you will receive 100% of the earning rewards.

3 Likes

Like Jamie said you will need the 1750/Vnodes. And LarkBox is very a not serious supplier. There are a lot of problem. I have bought two and got serious problems with both (power supply and Bios after installing Linux). I would prefer other mini PC from other brand and more powerfull but more expensive and run several node on them. Like this one I am planing to buy for running 2 to 4 nodes with an SSD upgrade

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B08LZ34BRC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1ZJU2PD27T3ZL&psc=1

1 Like

One question I have about home made vnode.

If the pnode can be configured to work without port forwarding, why can’t we do the same thing for home-made vnode? Can an expert please look into this?

1 Like

This is a great question @Inc , I too would like to know the answer as this step was a tricky part during this setup process.
If the Incognito team have a way to by-pass the need to configure the router to open ports that would awesome to know.

I’m glad you came across my article @walkonwayvs and thanks for your comments. This was my 1st attempt at running a Linux PC so it was a huge learning curve for me. I also never messed around with my router to open ports etc (another learning).

As for the Larkbox, please don’t limit yourself to this hardware, there are plenty of other mini PC out there.

One of the big reasons I chose to build it on a Larkbox was because they claimed to be the world’s smallest PC, so I thought why not use it to build the world’s smallest Incognito vNode.

Since I launched my vNode many months ago the earnings have been awesome. I was very lucky that my vNode was selected to be on the committee. I’ve more than paid for the hardware in a few months. But mind you I did need 1750 PRV upfront to stake on my Node to earn the full payouts.

All the best with getting your vNode up and running. The learning curve was steep but I have a lot of great help from many folks in this amazing community (as called out in my post).

2 Likes

Wait @Linnovations. You said you DIDN’T need the full 1750 PRV to stake your vnode? From my understanding, thats impossible. Or are you talking about a pNode you own from incog as well?

Hi @Thriftinkid, From my understanding, we are required to stake 1750 PRV on the vNode to earn the full reward when our vNode is selected.
Please refer to Step (4) as it is outlined in the article I’ve linked to in that step.
I hope this addresses any misunderstanding.

1 Like

EDIT: resolved

2 Likes

Correct. That’s why I did a double-take when I saw this in your comment.

1 Like

Oops, my sincere apologies everyone, my comment had a typo, I meant to say
“But mind you I did need 1750 PRV…” but instead I slipped up and wrote “… didn’t need…” my bad.

2 Likes

Thanks for spotting my typo in my comment. I have corrected my comment.

What I was trying to elude to was the fact that my vNode has paid for itself via it’s earnings in a few months, but that does not include my initial stake of 1750 PRV.

Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

No biggie. Just wanted to clarify lol

1 Like

Is there a way to test whether a device has enough CPU to get by? I have an old mini pc that was basically doing nothing after having been used as a dumb terminal. It’s one of those Atom processors (4 core Intel Atom x5-Z8500 CPU @ 1.44GHz 4 GB RAM and 64GB EMMC).

I’ve started it just for fun and it seems to be working more or less fine - Incognito container bounces between 100% to 200% of a core, and the ethernet container less than 10%. Memory usage seems trivial, and it only downloaded 13G of data. Shows green in the app.

But is this going to keep up when it goes into rewards mode? I only turned it on about 24 hours ago. Is there a testnet where I could try that out or should I just wait until things happen and see the result?

Hi, The easiest would be to compare the specs with the current pNode.

Your CPU seems to be quite slower…

But the real problem will be the storage

4 Likes

Has anyone tried running a node on VirtualBox or any other vm setup?

1 Like

@hustlenerd :wave:t6:

1 Like

What type of returns do you see per node? Is the selection truly random? Does a higher spec’d node stand a better chance for higher returns?

1 Like

Yes!

Doesn’t affect in any way!

2 Likes