Shielding taking excessive time

Why would eth gas price affect the final processing of a shielding request after it was in the system and pending?
The transaction had 73 confirms within 30min and in the incog contract.
At that point it’s set up the linkage and place the pcrypto in my account.

About an hour earlier I made a similar transaction and it took less then 30 min.

2 Likes

If it’s an ERC-20 token, the smart contract moves the tokens to a different address. Once it comes in, it goes out to create a burn proof so Incognito can securely mint a pCoin. This takes ETH gas fees to do. If the price of gas increases, it can get stuck in this phase.

1 Like

With an automated system it needs to be designed to be exactly that…automatic.
Not waiting hours and days so that they get a better rate on gas.

Timeliness is a big feature of crypto.

If I wanted a transaction to take days require a bunch of human intervention and maybe work / maybe not, I could go to a bank and wire funds.

Plus by this incog is costing their clients opportunity to find an arbitrage moment.

3 Likes

Big time agree and Ditto on Fitz’s point…so I can stop saying …“are we there yet”… :sunglasses:

Ik, I am literally in the same boat as you, but the gas fees are supplemented by Incognito themselves. Technically they are losing money on the processing. Realistically, we just need a new funding source to fix this, and have gas fees more dynamic with automatic retry.

we always set gas fees at the recommended normal to high. when gas is as volatile as it has been, our estimations may fail. it exceeded 360 gwei over the weekend.

when gas is insufficient, we retry all transactions for users with higher fees. we don’t sit by and wait for prices to drop so we can save money.

you guys are right. with every stuck transaction, we are painfully aware of the work we still need to do. we need to improve on this, and we are actively working towards better solutions.

6 Likes

I sure would like to boycott the frack out of ETH and their damn monopoly on the damn gas…we might have to just riot over the issue…LOL… :sunglasses:

Invest in Polkadot then, or EOS, or TRX, or even Neo :joy:
Show um whose boss

2 Likes

I got money in Cardano and Tezos already buddy…lol…but my first love of course is BTC and Incognito in that order… :sunglasses:

1 Like

So now that you have been aware of this issue for about 5 hours what is the holdup?

If it’s an know issue that has to be addressed all the time why is the response to it so slow.

Break up the log jam and process the transactions.

The solutions is a shielding to come into the system that can address the gas issue and put a small portion into reserves for when users exit so no penalty to get your funds.

You don’t go to a club and get charged to leave. Unshielding fees are ridiculous and leave people with a bad taste.

3 Likes

Fitz has point there…luckily I never had to pay a charge to leave the club…Me and my boys normally got 86’d on the house… :smiling_imp: :blush:…but no seriously Fitz makes a very valid point…me shut up now… :grimacing:…woops if there no unshielding fee…then my bad…so what is the deal then?

We have already been discussing solutions on the forums,

Identifying the problem is easy, finding a good solution is sometimes much harder.

There currently isn’t an un-shielding fee, that users experience anyways.

Well you can unfreeze the funds, you took
all the profits out of the market and there is no reason to keep my USDC here.

Hey @fitz_fiat, you have been with the project since the mainnet launch. Who, if not you, knows how much effort and energy the core team has put into the development of the project? Take a look back and check how much has been done, how much faster the app is, how much stronger the network is, how much better the node set up is, pdex trading, shielding flow, bridges etc.

Do you remember how the app looked when you joined the Incognito community? I assume you are a smart guy, and you know about the work which has been done since the mainnet. But I can’t understand the raised level of your complaints over the last few days. If there is something you wish to let us know or have us clarify, just tell us.

Let us focus on solving your shielding issue, rather than spending time on managing your complaints in multiple channels.

• we know about the shielding issue, and we do work on it, and our entire support team is also helping you. By posting everywhere complaining about it and making accusations, you will not help to solve it.
  • Assuming you are interested in privacy features, if you are not happy with shielding flow - don’t use it until it’s fixed and works smoothly (Try to use Torando cash or Aztec protocol while we fixing the flow)
  • If you feel that charging unshielding fee is not the right decision, please bring other options that can be economically sustainable, and lets discuss it. we have started a topic for shielding too: Help us find a better way to shield ETH/ERC-20 assets.

As usual, if you have any constructive ideas on how to make the network better, we are always happy to explore and discuss about it.

8 Likes

Hey @fitz_fiat, I don’t understand this. Really. Just for curiosity. "Un"shielding fees are so low. Do you want them to be increased for higher sustainability? Or do you want them to be zero? If so, I do not agree with you. Best.

I am not saying no fees for shielding just not on the backend of the process or if there are unshield fees then shielding should work flawlessly and let’s not hear anymore ‘gas prices are high’. You will get the money on the way out so make the way in fast and friendly.

I am just providing valuable UX info, that has always been ignored.

2 Likes

Yes I do remember, the node ’power’ page hasn’t changed in 6 mo and still takes 20sec to load 8 nodes. If you want people to have several nodes so that the community network is decentralized then they need a tool that actual can perform.

I also remember how features on that page were removed since they stopped working correctly in the nodes, such as status.
We see how unimportant that feature is, as 2 different builder projects have that as a key item of their operation.

Do you remember how many times I asked the UI of that page to be reworked so that more nodes could be seen on one page, but we still only have 3 (if even) and a bunch of whitespace.

As for mainnet coming a long way since the start, the frequency of bugs in the network causing issues has increased from none, to about 1 a week on average over the past 3 months.
As for a smart guy, yes I would say so since I pointed out many of these issues before your team has seen them. Of course I am told it must be on my end only to have that walked back in a few hours that there may be something affecting the network in a few cases.
Also I believe in January I discreetly pointed out to the incog team that on the pnodes current disk use trajectory they would be running out of diskspace by October. While no tasks were on the roadmap to alter the data format size on the devices, in late February there were 2 new items to address that issue. Soon followed by the pushback of opening shard slots from March to April 2020, and then in April move to this next year.

All the new directions and hype would be fine if the core items worked and were stable. But the transactions are a joke, there is no solution that incog has put together and you were looking to me to build it for you.

But you don’t have a decentralized network pushing thousands of transactions that provide fees to validators.
With almost 50 nodes and half running for nearly 6months the accumulated value of all their transaction fees is less than 5prvs in value. I don’t see the rewards being eclipsed by transaction fee earnings for some time, but I do see the rewards quickly shrinking per node.

Sustainability is a design concern that needs to be included in your products.
JServers shared pool solution didn’t close because it wasn’t sustainable, far from it.
Our design could keep going forever, but with the issue we saw, the risk to our clients’ investment was too great.
We still provide private full node hosting but have shared our concerns with these members as well.

Best wishes.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Slow Trade