Shielding Limits

So I’ve been using incognito a lot to help pay some people that I’ve been working with. The client pays me and then I pay the people. However I noticed that when I have a larger deposit (generally over 10,000 USD) the shielding process is slowed quite dramatically. It takes awhile to deposit into the account. Smaller amounts take a few minutes from confirmation. But larger amounts can take hours if not a day to successfully deposit.

What is the rhyme and reason for this varying deposit timings? Just not a large enough custodians having PRV backing for the specific currency I’m depositing? Or does it need to be manually approved by incognito’s team which runs the custodian for the currency?

I tried looking at the documentation and I understand the shielding process’s technicalities. Even after, I don’t understand what is blocking it from being processed and the p-equivalent being confirmed on the account. It generally gets suck on processing[2].

5 Likes

I haven’t deposited large amounts at once as of yet, but I plan to do so over the next few weeks… Would love to hear thoughts… The code base is pretty dense, but I haven’t noticed any indication that shielding large quantities increases complexity by orders of magnitude! (e.g., minutes to a day)

This may bring scalability concerns, no?

@MrAwesome @PRVhodlr. We don’t setup any limit for shielding/unshielding , exception min shield balance is required.

Meanwhile, we are actively discussing how to improve the shielding experience A better way to shield ETH/ERC-20 assets.

The most feasible solutions

• for Ethereum’s bridge its integration with metamask, when you will be able to sign shielding transactions directly
  • for the Bitcoin network, thinking about alow users to have a fixed shielding address

What do you think about such ideas?

2 Likes

I don’t think @MrAwesome was asking about limits. Rather, I think he was interested in the speed at which shielding occurs. Is there a logic behind the shielding that grows at an unscalable complexity? Thanks for the discussion…

Hey @MrAwesome are you referring to Bitcoin or Ethereum bridge?

I’m referring to the monero bridge in this specific instance. But I have had it happen on both the Bitcoin and Ethereum bridge too.

That is correct. I am not specifically asking about the amount but more so the specific time differences of the shielding process in relation to larger amounts.

The simplest question is why does larger shielding amounts take longer to complete the process?

Hey @PRVhodlr @MrAwesome, actually the magnitude of amount doesn’t make an impact to the speed of shielding transaction.

If you have a shielding transaction that might take longer to process than usual, there could be 2 possibilities:

• The status says ‘Processing [2]’: Your deposit tx is pending on external blockchain (Ethereum). The sudden increase of gas fee can be a reason that causes your tx pending for long time.

• The status says ‘Processing [5]’: Waiting for minting pToken on Incognito chain.

if the mint transaction get rejected by our chain, it will be automatically retried and go through after a waiting period.

4 Likes

Addition: Sometimes utxo accumulation can be a reason that results in tx rejection.

You can refer to this topic for more information: How to consolidate UTXOs :relaxed:

2 Likes

Ok I think I get it. Being that it was getting stuck at processing [2] always and that is when a tx is just pending on the blockchain I think I know the reason.

Monero’s network has been getting attacked recently. It’s important to upgrade to the latest monero version. If you want to learn about the attacks there is a good write up at sethsimmons.me. I think maybe I got a correlation with my larger transactions and your monero nodes getting a bit bugged out from the attack.

2 Likes

Always good to keep the custodian wallet node up to date especially during trying times !

In my experience size of the transaction doesn’t impact the speed. I don’t know what impacts the speed but there are many times that all aspects of incognito app go slower than normal.

MrAwesome thank you for the link to the article…

Quite interesting in the aspect of the varied kinds of attacks that were being perpetrated against the Monero Network…something for all of us to keep in mind indeed… :sunglasses: