Run the Incognito chain dev ship

1. What privacy problem are you solving?

The Incognito chain dev team is pretty sizeable, and there are many challenges that come with that. Everyone on the Incognito team is smart. But to keep things running smoothly, every single member needs to be in sync. Someone needs to make sure all the pieces fit together.

2. What is the solution?

Conflicts, errors and debates are to be expected in a large team running as fast as they can. My job is to make sure every issue is closed and every discussion is productive. I design the roadmap, review the source code, split tasks, and make sure everyone understands each other. My team and I test everything that is built with the utmost care.

3. Which solutions do people resort to because this doesn’t exist yet?

I’ve been leading the chain team since the first line of code was written in May 2018.

4. Who are you?

Prior to Incognito, I was the engineering manager at Viettel, Vietnam’s largest mobile network operator, where I helped build network infrastructure for their 110M global subscribers. State-owned monopolies weren’t really doing it for me, so in 2018, I wrote a few lines of code as a demo for a privacy blockchain network. That demo is now Incognito Chain. I’m excited to keep growing it to support privacy for the world.

5. Why do you care?

I want Incognito to succeed. I want our team to work smoothly in pursuit of a common goal, and I want our people to find their work meaningful.

6. What’s your plan? What’s your schedule?

I take care of the before, during, and after. First, I review solutions and designs of all tech proposals before they are implemented, in order to reduce trade-off and risk.

This is my schedule for the year:

Timeline Deliverables
Q1 2020 1. Review and merge pull requests for some new features: Highway version 2, Batch verification for privacy transactions, pUniswap, pCompound, Optimized database, Portal v2 – and make sure there are no issues with merged code.
2. Design bug bounty program.
3. Provide an api system for analyzing Incognito Chain data
Q2 2020 Review and merge pull requests for features including Consensus v2 on testnet, trial on mainnet, Privacy v2 and make sure there are no issues with merged code
Q3 2020 Continue maintaining merged code for Portal v3, Optimized proof size and verification time, Optimized consensus v2 with auto-reducing committee
Q4 2020 Continue maintaining merged code for Confidential assets, Limit order for pDex

Q1 - 2020:
April

I will also:

• Maintain a good environment for testing
  • Ensure every engineer has the tools they need to succeed
  • Monitor devnet, testnet statuses

7. What’s your budget?

Resource Cost Quantity Monthly Cost
Technical Lead 4,000 PRV 1 4,000 PRV
TOTAL (x 12 months) 48,000 PRV

8. Is there an existing conversation around this idea?

Not on this forum – but my team keeps me on my toes every day.

9. Is there anything else you would like the community to know?

Please always feel free to drop me a message if you have any questions about how things work, or if you have suggestions about how we can do things better.

7 Likes

Update for February and 1st week of March:

• Shipped batch verification technique on mainnet
  • Shipped Highway version 2 on testnet
  • Shipped pUniswap on testnet
  • Shipped Optimized DB on devnet
2 Likes

Update for 9-13 Mar:

• Reviewed and merged code for Highway version 2. Now, it is on air for mainnet(shipped)
  • Try to use Optimized DB version on testnet at shard 5 and realise result that we decreased database from 63GB -> 4.7GB. On testnet, I deployed shard 5 base on DB v2 and another fullnode-2 (70GB -> 15GB).
1 Like

Update for 16-20 Mar:

• Officially, merged code for DB v2
  • On testnet, deployed shard5 and fullnode-2 by using merged code

Maybe, we will try to deploy this code on next week with mainnet, demo on a new fullnode and wait for syncing data. After that, try with some node validator and still make sure everything sound like good

3 Likes

Update for 23-27 Mar:

• On testnet, all validator nodes are run with db v2. That means, currently, all dev team are using db v2(reduce > 50% size of DB) fully
  • We try to deploy some node of beacon and shard validators by db version 2, but we had some issues on the beacon, 1 validator can not validate for new beacon block by reward instruction. We need more time to check and enough long time to check everything is ok

1 Like

Update for 6 Apr:

• Official release for db version 2
  • Reviewing code for portal version 2