[Shipped] Run the Incognito Chain dev ship - May 2020

1. What privacy problem are you solving?

The Incognito chain dev team is pretty sizeable, and there are many challenges that come with that. Everyone on the Incognito team is smart. But to keep things running smoothly, every single member needs to be in sync. Someone needs to make sure all the pieces fit together.

2. What is the solution?

Conflicts, errors and debates are to be expected in a large team running as fast as they can. My job is to make sure every issue is closed and every discussion is productive. I design the roadmap, review the source code, split tasks, and make sure everyone understands each other. My team and I test everything that is built with the utmost care.

3. Which solutions do people resort to because this doesn’t exist yet?

I’ve been leading the chain team since the first line of code was written in May 2018.

4. Who are you?

Prior to Incognito, I was the engineering manager at Viettel, Vietnam’s largest mobile network operator, where I helped build a network infrastructure for their 110M global subscribers. State-owned monopolies weren’t really doing it for me, so in 2018, I wrote a few lines of code as a demo for a privacy blockchain network. That demo is now Incognito Chain. I’m excited to keep growing it to support privacy for the world.

5. Why do you care?

I want Incognito to succeed. I want our team to work smoothly in pursuit of a common goal, and I want our people to find their work meaningful.

6. What’s your plan? What’s your schedule?

I take care of the before, during, and after. First, I review solutions and designs of all tech proposals before they are implemented, in order to reduce trade-off and risk.

Main schedule

This is my schedule for this April:

Timeline Deliverables
4 -> 15 May 1. Increase minimum fee per Kb tx on mainnet.
2.Deploy consensus v2 multiview (fix block proposer) on testnet.
3. Deploy portal v2 on mainnet.
4. Review security on smart contract
18 -> End of May 1.Review and merge pull requests privacy v2
2. Review consensus v2 multiview blsbft.v2 non-fixed block proposor and prepare to deploy on testnet
3. Make the decision to deploy consensus v2 multiview (fix block proposer) mainnet

I will also:

• Maintain a good environment for testing
  • Ensure every engineer has the tools they need to succeed
  • Monitor devnet, testnet, mainnet statuses

7. What’s your budget?

Resource Cost Quantity Monthly Cost
Technical Lead 4,000 PRV 1 4,000 PRV
TOTAL (x 1 months) 4,000 PRV

8. Is there an existing conversation around this idea?

Not on this forum – but my team keeps me on my toes every day.

9. Is there anything else you would like the community to know?

Please always feel free to drop me a message if you have any questions about how things work, or if you have suggestions about how we can do things better.

10. What are the key results?

• Mainnet not down > 3 hours in May - (current downtime is 40mins)
  • 100% review for smart contract vault and kyber proxy(has reported with a file) - DONE
  • Testnet not down > 24 hours in May
  • 100% deploy multiview blsbft.1 on testnet(still fixing block proposer) - DONE
  • 100% review pull-request of multiview blsbft.2 - DONE
  • 100% deploy portal v2 on mainnet
6 Likes

I could not agree more. Communication is key with this project to involve all ideas and keep it moving forward with efficiency.

It’s nice to have someone with your experience and aspirations on the Incognito team.

2 Likes

Hi @thaibao, your proposal got 5/5 votes so I will move this under “funded projects”. Looking forward to receiving your feedback!

Annie

Update for 8 May

• Try to review running consensus v2 multiview on testnet and have some issue: can not sync data of portal v2, can not join to sign block because sync state is wrong.
  • Try to review running of portal v2 and have some issue: data of portal v2 on testnet is a bug, so we need to fix and sync again, maybe applying again for beacon height 1,500,000 on testnet.
  • About update min fee PRV, we already for deploy on chain, waiting for confirm from app team.
  • I also have just made a hot fix on issue about instructions of beacon. On this issue, beacon node will be panic.

For these issues, I have some comment on these proposals
At the meantime, I’m also reviewing security on ethereum smart contract of new vault version, prepare for deploy on next week. Because team still have some missing unit test on smart contract, I asked them update and continously review on weekend.

3 Likes

Update for 15 May

• Testnet is already ready for fully consensus-2 multiview and portal v2.
  • Complete reviewing security on eth smart contract of the new vault, waiting for feedback from other core team members
  • About “Increase minimum fee per Kb tx on mainnet”, because we have config param when running a node, the validator can change it by themself and if 2/3+1 is consensus on this, it should work.
  • I have also warned for the portal v2 team about processing in the test phrase that we need to try harder to finish in the next 10 days to commit the deadline. But we’re also empathy because this is really complicated feature this month. Thank the team for this trying hard.
4 Likes