RAIL vs SCRT vs Incognito

Can someone please help my crypto-deficient mind understand the differences in what each has to offer that is unique from the others?
What makes each competitive and have it’s own special use case?

I’m a crypto enthusiast but NOT a tech guy. I suffer at understanding the deeper lingo and complexities of bridges/blockchains. And I’ve done a lot of research on all three but still fail to totally understand how each can be competitive on it’s own, and if one actually can cancel the others out somehow, based on what it offers.

And as for Incognito specifically, where can we stay competitive amongst the others? Or is developing some kind of partnership/merger something that could be useful in the future.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of Railgun (RAIL) before. I browsed their website and a few things stand out to me:

• Railgun is a smart contract that runs on Ethereum
  • Only ERC-20 coins
  • Tied to high Eth fees

This is a really interesting discussion topic @Mike_Despo so I encourage everyone to input their opinion into the matter. I’ve asked the dev team to also share their viewpoints.

2 Likes

As far as I know from being around the RAIL community (I own a small amount of it) - it is multi-blockchain. They’re in the process of building bridges to the other networks as we speak, but they already have more than ETH now. I think BSC? Poly and Solana and another are ready to go live in the next month or so.

The function of RAIL itself is to provide the means of privacy transactions to whatever blockchain it is attached to. So like a plug and play privacy option for multiple blockchains. It’s like Incognito except that RAIL doesn’t have a central hub - people can just utilize the privacy through that particular blockchain without the extra steps of putting their tokens onto a new platform.
(I’m sure I didn’t explain it totally right, but this is kinda the gist?)

If the above is true, what I fear is that it negates the need for Incognito. Or at the very least, assuming this isn’t a zero sum game - it presents a very fierce competition.

IIRC one of Incognito’s OG community builders is a RAILGUN developer: @mesquka

3 Likes

::crickets::

haha.

I don’t really believe its a zero sum game - its like privacy coins in general. Why is there more than one when realistically their utility for most people is the same (privacy). Only the difference in protocols etc. will a small portion of people actually be aware of. Additionally, people are drawn to something either by the “perceived” value (i.e. financial, short term) or being part of a community (culture, longer term)

Incognito ultimately needs the scale especially now that the revised pdex has been achieved. Lets go back to what they are trying to do:

• Build privacy markets: Liquidity pools, trading etc.
  • Build privacy apps: Solana, Polygon, Lending, Privacy NFTs etc.
  • Participate in privacy Infrastructure: Validation - community nodes becoming more significant

Yes Rail and Secret are trying to do this too in some similar (and different) ways but crypto is big enough to have multiple players in a particular niche. To me the three pillars the team outlined makes a lot of sense and has huge utility.

If I can house all my crypto in a single ecosystem where I can get deep enough liquidity to trade, earn awesome yield by being a validator, create my own liquidity pools and start doing things like privacy lending all wrapped around a nice user app experience = Awesome, sign me up, the proposition sells itself.

4 Likes

It’s definitely not a zero sum game, however, I think there’s a tremendous amount of value in isolating the similarities and differences between the three projects so to determine with absolutely certainty where Incognito stands, it’s potential, and where it should or could go from here, what it may be lacking to stay competitive, etc.

At the moment, Incog has been far surpassed by both SCRT and RAIL in terms of growth, meanwhile SCRT was at around the same starting place as Incog (maybe a while sooner) and RAIL started far long after Incognito.

Anyways, as far as the technical differences and pros and cons go, here’s what I realized doing a little more research on RAIL the other day:

RAIL, despite taking off like lightning recently, is still technically in its “research phase” and has not had an official launch yet.
They do offer privacy transactions to ANY token/chain (once all of them are bridged), by using smart contracts, and then the smart contract address is used to make the trade which turns it into a private transaction.
This is done without needing a central hub app, like we have with Incog. People don’t need to turn their crypto into another kind of crypto (i.e. pUSD) in order to trade it privately using the smart contracts.

RAIL Pros:
-Privacy transactions for any token
-No need to move all your tokens onto another platform to make private versions of them before making private transactions

RAIL Cons:
-Possibly very confusing to use for the average user
-Still in research phase and they don’t have total certainty over the workability of the smart contract mechanism (from what I’m understanding)

Incognito’s advantage over RAIL:
-Possibly much easier and more reliable to use
-Consolidation of all your pTokens in one place
-Central app makes it easier to stake, earn $ on liquidity, run vNodes, build on the network, etc.

Incog needs to get a buzz going for it. The other two projects have this in a very real way, are getting big deal partnerships, and have thriving communities.
If we don’t get the buzz and the PR and the marketing and all that going again in the direction it was last time, I don’t see how we’d ever really grow tbh.

3 Likes

I definitely agree with the points you raise. Realistically the team really need to market incognito - there’s no real social media presence, most people don’t know of the project even on a niche basis. I’d be keen to hear the teams plan on promoting incognito especially since it’s one of the rare projects where it’s got an ecosystem approach and being able to participate across each sleeve (markets, pools, apps and validation) is very easy.

I do think the apps being built help but sometimes you got to shout from the rooftops about it. Additionally it shouldn’t be a hard sell for privacy in general given the current environment.

@Jared I know you have referenced to the growth team. In due course it would be good to know how the team plans to raise the profile of the project with a summary posted on the forum.

2 Likes

@abduraman Forgive me for posting this without your permission (I can delete post if requested), but I saw your detailed response on the SCRT forum and I thought it was very well done, very detailed, and very worthy of posting here so we have the information in one place: .

SCRT vs Incognito

4 Likes

Look at all those bridges the team have built in comparison to SCRT. Got to give the devs credit in that regard re: functionality

2 Likes

More bridges on the way too :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Can the Incog devs post a roadmap of upcoming bridges with ETA timelines?
That would be very interesting.

Yes I totally agree, I was very impressed to see the differences in the number of bridges. Thanks for sharing this post @Mike_Despo , it is an nice summary @abduraman I learnt a lot from your comparison - Many Thanks.

3 Likes

That’s an excellent observation @SPAddict25 and thanks again @abduraman for providing the nice summary - much appreciated.

Hey @Jared, here’s another question for the Incognito Core team…

Given that Incognito leads the competition in terms of number of bridges to other chains, is it a goal of the project to become the defacto standard when it come to swapping (via pDEX) and earning yield (via Provide and Liquidity Pools) with privacy coins?

If yes, then may I suggest the core team create bridges to some of these privacy chains:

I think there’s a HUGE opportunity for Incognito Network to become the central hub for all privacy coin / projects. Each have there own special unique privacy features, but all the different communities have one common very important underlying human need and value - they all support the ‘Human right to privacy’.

Does anyone else share this vision for the Incognito project?

Perhaps the core team would like to provide a list a few bridges they plan to build and put them to a Community Vote. Let us the community participate and help prioritize which bridges get built first? Thoughts anyone?

2 Likes

I’m totally up for your suggestions (Wow, Arrr etc.) with the caveat that the team has three key functions (markets, apps, infrastructure), an app (bugs, improve speed etc.) and increasing functionality (web wallet, ledger support etc.). There’s clearly going to be trade offs in terms of priority that the devs have to make on top of a very demanding roadmap.

I’ve flagged my support for WOW and happy to provide $20K in liquidity if it helps get it off the ground. It might help having some general info in terms of how long it can take to build a bridge (which may be protocol dependent) and what the team thinks is a minimum overall level of liquidity to justify the work.

3 Likes

More information regarding pApps (bridges included) will be announced later today (within the next 12 hours).

4 Likes

Seems I’ve been called out by @Mike_Wagner :sweat_smile:

I’d like to preface everything by stating that exploring the different tradeoffs in the privacy design space is important and it’s good to have multiple projects researching the various approaches that are possible. As Mike stated, I’m an early member of the incognito community and still hold my bag of PRV. I wish success to all projects that earnestly try to give individuals more freedom and privacy.

That being said, Incognito and Secret are closer to direct competitors than Incognito and Railgun for the following reason:

Privacy projects can be broadly categorised into 2 approaches:

1. Seperate blockchains/Layer 2s
  2. Private applications on existing chains/L1s

Incognito and Secret fall into the first category while Railgun falls into the second.

We’ve seen examples of “generation 1” projects from both categories (Zcash and Monero for the seperate blockchains approach, Tornado and CoinJoin for L1s). These generation 1 projects have been limited in functionality, focusing on delivering privacy in a mixing/payments use case but nothing else. Generation 2 projects extend privacy to general usecases, allowing users to interact with DeFi, NFTs and more.

So now this brings us to the various approaches that Secret, Incognito, and Railgun are taking:

Secret network is a ground up private blockchain approach, this allows them to optimise their architecture and cost around privacy. The drawback is that extensive bootstrapping is required to get the ecosystem for the new chain off the ground. The team needs to rebuild the defi primitives that exist on established chains and attract teams to build projects and generate usage on the new chain.

Incognito has an extensive list of bridges to existing chains meaning it can access existing value and bypasses a large chunk of bootstrapping work, however enough value needs to be built up to secure consensus and bridges are notoriously difficult to build with a number of brutal tradeoffs around execution speed, trustlessness, and security.

Railgun is a private smart contract wallet that runs directly on existing chains. This allows it to tap into value on these chains and plug directly in to the existing dapp ecosystem. This removes 90% of bootstrapping work by privatising defi systems with existing momentum. The downside is that running directly on existing chains means that it inherits and needs to work within the trade-offs/constraints of the chain it runs on (eg. Ethereum gas fees randomly spiking to 500 gwei because of a new NFT launch).

There’s also other trade-offs in the cryptographic approaches to privacy that are taken by each protocol (SGX for Secret, RingCT for Incognito, zkSNARKs for Railgun).

Looking at RingCT first: you get probabilistic privacy that’s capped by the number of decoys used in a transaction. This makes it difficult to have transactions with large anonymity sets because the size of a transaction scales with the number of decoys used. The upside is that it has relatively low compute cost to generate a transaction so building wallets on constrained devices such as mobile phones is easier (though verification cost is more expensive than either of the other 2 approaches).

zkSNARKs and SGX based systems have privacy sets that scale directly with the amount of transaction activity in the system meaning on otherwise identical systems they will have stronger privacy than RingCT.

SGX based systems have hyper efficient transaction creation and verification costs, though it achieves this by relying on attested execution environments provisioned by a central party (Intel) which needs to be trusted. Additionally the number of attacks demonstrated against SGX is a vector for compromising the security/privacy of the system.

zkSNARKs have large computational costs to generate transactions, but are cheap to verify and provide the strongest privacy properties of these three approaches. The biggest downside is implementing wallets on smartphones or even low-mid tier laptops is difficult due to the computational power required to generate transactions.

6 Likes