Quickest reselection

How fast have you been re-selected after an earning cycle on the same p or vnode? The best I have to share is that I got selected again 1 week or 7 days after last selection.

It’s based on a randomness factor. Theres actually a chance you get selected in the same day. There is an interesting post Jamie put together regarding the probability for being selected which will help. The Algorithm of Probability for Node Selection

Hope that helps!

1 Like

I would be curious to know if anyone has been selected in a row.

In a row for me would be like twice within a week looking at the current number of nodes. And yes, that has happened to me! :slight_smile:

My fastest reselection currently is 3 times in 1 week. Tuesday, Saturday, and Monday. But I have another node that hasn’t been selected in over a month, so it definitely averages out.

One of mine for selected for a cycle, earned, went back to “waiting”, then started earning again in less than an hour.

Do you mean “epoch” when you say cycle? Or the usual 2-4 epochs you earn once selected?

So when the pNode starts to earn, the dot goes from green to cyan. Once it’s done, it goes back to green. One of mine went from green, to cyan, back to green, then in less than an hour, it went cyan again and earned.

Each epoch consists of 350 blocks. A block is created every 40 seconds. Therefore an epoch will last 14,000 seconds or ~3.9 hours.

An idle validator (green) cannot enter committee (cyan), exit committee (green) and return to committee (cyan) an hour later. Logically, once a validator has exited committee, it couldn’t be returned to committee until the start of the next epoch, which would be in ~3.9 hours.

However – that’s not how committee substitution works on Incognito. Validators do not join committee on the very next epoch after selection. The random selection of validators to join committee happens roughly half way through each epoch. When a validator is randomly selected, it enters the Preparation Phase. This phase lasts the remainder of that epoch PLUS the following epoch. This is a total of 1.5 epochs.

An example:

• Your validator is in committee during epoch 3000 (cyan).
  • At the outset of epoch 3001, your validator exits committee (green).
  • During the random selection that occurs halfway through epoch 3001, your validator is again chosen to participate in committee. (green)
  • Your validator enters Preparation Phase for the remainder of epoch 3001 and the entirety of epoch 3002. (green)
  • Your validator joins committee during epoch 3003 and remains in committee (earning/cyan) until the outset of epoch 3006.

It is, therefore, impossible for your validator to go from cyan to green to cyan in/around an hour. That “cycle” would take a minimum of eight hours (epoch 3001 to 3003 in the above example).

What you witnessed was very likely a display bug with the status reporting in the app. While it has improved, it is still not very reliable and is prone to displaying an incorrect status.

7 Likes

I was wondering! I thought you that was weird. Wasn’t going to complain, but still.