Provide

Henry, do you try to level up your trust level? :joy::thinking:

6 Likes

Confused. I thought Henry was from the team but he asks questions to the team, too. Who are you, @henry? :rofl:

7 Likes

Haha, I’m on the builder train now.

5 Likes

@andrey Can you send coins from an exchange to the incognito wallet, then send it to a nano ledger from the incognito wallet to keep the ledger address hidden? So the exchange won’t know the nano ledger address the coins were sent to.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community Karkoor…as to your question I do not believe it can be done at this time due to the fact that implementation or integration of hard wallet such as ledger has not been attained with Incognito app yet… :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Hi @Karkoor, Tempestblack is correct. We are planning to do it next year. You can have a look at this roadmap: Privacy - Integration with hardware wallets

5 Likes

Thank you. Hopefully soon users will be able to take their crypto off exchanges privately then trade on uniswap.

4 Likes

Why am I quoted here. I wasn’t saying the Provide system is centralized operationally. I was referring to network (de)centralization.

2 Likes

There is no operational explanation for how the automation works in provide available I believe (if so please link me to the source code on a github)… and when withdraws take manual intervention sometimes (ive had this happen to me after waiting 4 days, I was told it needed manual intervention because it was a large size) i’d say that is centralized.

4 Likes

@Matt6412 it is briefly highlighted here Liquidity v.2) pretty sure @henry knows it as well :slight_smile:

@Karkoor you can do it, but the best way to anonymize your BTC is keep it on Incognito and as @Peter mentioned weathered work on native integration with Ledger.

5 Likes

@Jamie i did not post a screen shot

@andrey yes I have seen the graphic made that shows the mechanics but was looking for source code thats all. Code is law and info graphics do not prove anything. (Not saying that isn’t what is happening but this is an open source project so I’d think aspects that involve user funds should be open sourced)

3 Likes

clicked the wrong reply button, my bad

2 Likes

You are using my words to “prove” it is centralized, which seems to place my words out of context. Can you remove the screenshot? Thanks.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I deleted it already. But in any case, your words were really interesting. I’ve never thought about the implication that provide has to the decentralization of the network.

5 Likes

Hopefully we’ll have the ledger compatible incognito wallet soon, but until then I’m worried about keeping my crypto on hot wallets for long periods.

Now will trades be private if someone sends Eth from a ledger to the incognito wallet, then uses the eth to trade privately on incognito uniswap, then transfers the tokens that were traded on there to a newly made ledger ethereum account (not the same ledger ethereum account address that was used to send the initial Eth to the incognito wallet)?

3 Likes

I find it interesting to see that people (in general) emphasize on the need for every aspect of the project to be decentralized and at the same time unstake their nodes to profit from the Provide feature which increases centralization.

That also goes for non team related people who run multiple nodes btw. Too many nodes in one pair of hands just doesn’t spell decentralized.

Don’t get me wrong, I want the system to be as decentralized as possible too, but all in good time. It is better to build a stable system in a slow way, than to move quickly and realize things get out of sync. Incognito is a long term project.

For those who think it is too risky to participate, follow along and jump in when your requirements are met. For those who have faith, enjoy the ride.

13 Likes

I would go even further and say to many coins in one hand are a huge problem for real decentralization. This is why I still think that the way we deal with the pNodes is terrible. Having nodes in different locations owned by different people, is great in a proof-of-work system but not in case in proof-of-stake. Who ever controls the coins controls the network. So right now people who run pNodes with funded stake are not true independent validators as the core team controls the funds and can change the rules for the funding whenever they want.

Moreover this keeps the price for PRV down, which on long term might lead to investors leaving for projects with higher returns. Which is a real problem, because a healthy network needs unfortunately money as well.

I totally agree with you, but I also see huge risk by upcoming laws. Especially no in 2021. So we should becomes truly decentralized as fast as possible otherwise the whole project might be in trouble.

8 Likes

I agree with both of you, but the reasoning behind people choosing “provide” with a 28% APY is simple as they earn nearly the same throughout one year as by running a node. But they earn it regularly and don’t have to invest in hardware or a vps plus the maintenance that comes with it. Let’s face it, for a difference of <5% you can earn more by running a node there is hardly any motivation for many people to do so.

The solution imho is that the Incognito team massively reduces the amount of nodes the run. I mean are 176 fixed validators really necessary when there are also the nodes they run through “provide” and the pNodes that are, at least initially, funded by them. I haven’t deep dived into the technical aspects of the project but that’s for sure something we would need to discuss if you really want to increase decentralization. This would give a higher return on invest for the node owners and shift the focus from provide to running a node. Or the other way around and reduce the AYR for providing PRV to e.g. 10% to make it less interesting.

Don’t get me wrong I am doing both myself (vNode + provide) but the later only until I got enough for the next vNode.

4 Likes

The spots hold by Incognito Nodes on the shards, and Nodes that are run by the team in relation to the Provide feature are different things. Not related.

2 Likes

I wonder if that is true, my pNodes are staked with own stake, and from what I read here and on Telegram that is the scenario most people are going for. Start with funded stake, switch to own stake as soon as possible.

The funding of pNodes fits perfectly in the scenario the pNode was developed for. If you want to get non-tech savvy, non-crypto people on board, you need to make it simple and affordable.

Having a pNode in every home around the world would be a dream come true.

7 Likes