[Protocol release] Incognito chain’s code upgrade (tag: 20221230_1)

Hi Incognito validators,

We’ve just released a protocol code update for:

• Blocktime reduction : the block time will be reduced from 20s to 15s, the epoch time will be reduced from ~2h to ~1.5h, and the block rewards will be reduced by 25%. However, the number of blocks per epoch will remain at 350 and total rewards for network validators in a long period (says 1 year) will be the same as before .

• pDAO : another privacy app in the privacy app store that will allow PRV holders to submit and vote on proposals. For example, adjusting network fees, spending DAO funds for builders, etc.

The update will be implemented once there are at least 75% validators of the network running the new code.

The latest code is published in 2 forms:

If you run pNodes or set up your vNodes by following our instructions, they should pull the latest docker image automatically. Please note that it’s totally up to you to choose a method to manage your nodes for accepting or rejecting a new protocol code release by customizing the script or even writing your own.

In case you encounter any issues with the code update, feel free to contact @support for assistance.

Thank you!

11 Likes

Happy New Year everyone! :champagne: :confetti_ball:
Thanks @duc for the detailed explanation on what this Protocol Release is all about.

2 Likes

I have taken a look at the node monitor. I think we have passed 75% and min trigger block. However, the block time is still 20 sec. Do I miss something? @Support

1 Like

Did you post the tweet (https://twitter.com/IncognitoChain/status/1613579420941586432) a little bit earlier? @Support The explorer still shows 20 ms as the block time.

2 Likes

pDAO functionally should be implemented but the website is not live for this. Is the team holding back on launching this because of the pushback on the fees involved? Can we get an update?

Maybe the explorer hasn’t been updated to account for the shortened blocktime?

Two things:

1. That message was posted 8 days ago. The block time became 15 sec 7 days ago :slight_smile:
  2. Th explorer does not need any update in such cases. The block times are extracted from the block itself, not calculated or hard-coded. In fact, doing the latter is more difficult :slight_smile:
1 Like