Progressive Decentralization: The community now runs 66% of the network

IMO, it would have been nice to have a separate Forum Post specifically the vote to increase fee, how to vote and when the vote deadline will take place.
Perhaps I missed the notifications on social media, For me personally an email update would have been courtesy.

Thank you for your understanding @Linnovations.
A lesson is learned.
There will be a post to explain details and also an email next time.

3 Likes

Provocative proposition. Iā€™d like to see the community exploring this more. Iā€™m coming from another community that was supposedly a decentralized, community-driven project that turned out to be massively fraudulent and ended with one of the crypto spaceā€™s biggest community exploits. I agree transparency in everything is crucial to decentralizationā€“and that the communityā€™s power needs to be explicitly incorporated into code so that it cannot be reversed or circumvented. Code is King.

On another note, the community ought to agree on a central place where proposals sit to await community review and voting. Maybe this has already been addressed in the evolving DAO. I donā€™t use social media much but would absolutely check an agreed-upon proposal space frequently.

I know this post Iā€™m reading is from Dec 2022 so Iā€™ll keep reading in hopes of seeing these issues addressed (transparency, hard-coded community privileges/DAO authority, central proposal-review space). Thanks @Up2UrHeadlights !

1 Like

I agree with you, however, in practice this is easy but when it comes to actually coding it makes it not so easy to do.

We have this, https://incognito.org/vote (access from a desktop browser).

2 Likes

@Jared, thanks, again, for the comments. I donā€™t doubt that explicitly empowering the community in code is technically very challenging (and hats off to the teams wrestling with it!), but I donā€™t think weā€™ll attract a large community unless we can pull it off. There have just been too many instances of founding members of crypto projects abusing or even absconding with funds once projects become large enough. I donā€™t know how to do it, but there needs to be a hard assurance that, outside of investment risks people intend to take on, funds arenā€™t being mishandled.

Looking to the future, can we create smart contracts for p-assets guaranteeing anonymity, ownership, and exchangeability of the assets (pBTC will always be 1:1 exchangeable for BTCā€¦) so no trust is needed? After FTX, Lunaā€¦ potential investors/liquidity providers are going to want hard assurance.

Another big question I think especially the privacy crowd cares about is voter equity. How are votes counted? By volume of PRV held in wallets? So is it like voting in the US where more dollars buy more votes? Is there any way to get around this problem of disproportionate representation by the wealthy? It seems to me unless decentralization can solve this problem, it just replicates the anti-democratic real-world problem of the wealthy eventually taking control of community resources.

Sorry for the many questions. I REALLY want this community to work out and become THE DEX for crypto. And thanks for the link to the voting space.

3 Likes

Great questions @KNZ, I share the same concerns.

I wanted to share my views on this with the core team, but think a community call hosted by the core team would be a better approach.

I have some ideas on how to address some of your concern youā€™ve mentioned above around the ā€˜more money, more votes.ā€™ which doesnā€™t sound like fair system to me. My idea revolves around rewarding usage of the incognito platform. The more active a user is on the Incognito platform, the more voting power is allocated to them.

For example (a very simplistic example), lets say we have two Users:
User A: has a small bag of PRV but logs in every week and places trades, uses the ā€œProvideā€ services and add to some Liquidity Pools. Hence this user is very active on the platform, and
User B: has a huge bag of PRV but only logs into the platform to do a trade twice a year.

There would be a published algorithm that would give more preference to the active user (User A) so that they would get more voting power than the big whale (User B).

We then use the DAO Vote mechanism to approve code changes to the vote preference system code.

Iā€™m open to having a more in depth discussion on this concept as I agree the @KNZ, this is very important for the success of this project moving forward and things need to be transparent. Decentralisation is key to this projectā€™s survival given what has happened with Tornado Cash.

1 Like

Love it! I agreeā€“unlike the real world, the cryptoverse can reward participation and community support more equitably than just giving the say to those with the deepest pockets. How do we get going a broader discussion of this in the IncognitoChain community?

1 Like

This would open the network to spamming by users to overinflate their usage/rank. Doing so would cause the blockchain to increase and thus put burden on the node operators to store more data for the sole purpose of users trying to get more say.

6 Likes

What alternatives are there that might satisfy an anti-spam imperative while retarding community control by whales? Surely the status quo of wealth-power proportionality canā€™t be the only way to build and run a community.

1 Like

That is the million dollar question. How do we ensure equal and fair participation while also avoiding bad actors.

Hey @Jared, I really do feel that the Core Dev team should be talk more to the community about this. I presume there is someone (or persons) looking at other projects that have implemented DAO structures and done some Pros / Cons of each.

Some DAO structures that come to mind:

• Shapeshift DEX
  • MakerDAO
  • Divi Project (they are going through the process, here is a walkthrough of there community announcement - https://youtu.be/VUkoe1bv2As )

Many others Iā€™m sureā€¦

Can you please have the core team share with us what other projects they have studied from a DAO perspective?

Disagree. The more PRV you hold, the more voting power. That is the only logical way for the system to work. If you want to have more voting power, invest in more PRV.

Hi @brico84, I am not aware of what the early distribution of PRV in this project was, but letā€™s presume the early founders & Devs and angel investors have the biggest bags. Do you feel they would be representative of the community at large?

They may be the only ones with enough PRV to submit proposals and also get the necessary number of votes to have things passed. If the large whales formed a silent committee, there would be not way us small bag holder will be heard. This will lead to centralisation of decision making and governance.

Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™m not saying that the amount of PRV you hold should not be a factor. On the contrary, I strongly believe it should be part of an equation, but not the only variable in the equation that determines voting power.

In full disclosure, Iā€™ve had ZERO experience with DAO governance models, just merely putting suggestions out to the community for discussion.

What would be nice to know is if the incognito core team has done some research into other DAO systems of governance and perhaps they can share the pro/cons of different systems then we can have some discussion as a community.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your disagreement. In a fair voting system, youā€™d have the right to disagree as others would have the right to disagree with you. And every individualā€™s vote would count the same. Otherwise, a handful of people are truly making the decisions for everyone else and ā€œdecentralizationā€ becomes a ruse. I think we have an ethical responsibility to explore ways to prevent this.

One major problem with ā€œif you want to have more voting power, invest in more PRVā€ is it marginalizes those who donā€™t have the resources to amass millions and millions of PRV. Most people in most communities are not rich. I think it counterproductive to the ethos of a DAO to hand over voting control to a tiny wealthy minority.

But I respect the right of this community to choose that option. I just wouldnā€™t want to participate if so.

3 Likes

Well said @KNZ !
I hope the incognito core team will host an open discussion with the community to share with us what research they have conducted thus far on DAO systems and rules that has been utilised by other projects.

For democracy to prevail, there has to be trust in the system and that ā€œMy vote countsā€ and that every vote is treated equally.

I hope Incognito adopts a system that is fair for all and not primarily based on PRV bag size. Hence why I thought we should base voting (in part) in usage of the platform as it will be the users of the system that will be most impacted by DAO decisions.

It is often possible to have a negative impression of big investors, thinking them harmful and acting only in their own interest. However, it is important not to generalize. Indeed, these people are essential to the ecosystem and are not always malicious. Like anyone else, they seek to grow their capital and their presence is motivated by a belief and involvement in the project. Moreover, they can support the proposals of less wealthy members and avoid counterproductive votes.

Their contribution is crucial, given the greater risks they take than other actors. Everyone deserves respect, regardless of their social status, skin color or origin. At Incognito, the community would not validate an economically harmful vote and we must remain realistic about the challenges we face.

Some people have complained when fees were raised to 0.1 PRV. However, it is important to maintain an objective perspective. Things must be fair to allow everyone to benefit from the platform.

Developers at Incognito do everything to help the community and advance its ideas, regardless of their personal preferences. They fix errors and do not neglect anyone, even if it may disrupt the roadmap deadlines. Community members can therefore feel safe and enjoy quality services.

When examining other providers, we find that they rarely give their customers a voice. Worse, they often consider them as products rather than users and use marketing and statistics methods to exploit them. The manipulative sharks that these providers are act legally but do not respect the rights and freedoms of everyone. At Incognito, large investors also fight against this system and thus protect members of their community.

4 Likes

Too long to read :slight_smile: @CryptodroiD

Some feedback:
1- Please increase #paragraphs and space between paragraphs
2- If possible, use bullets
3- If possible, use short sentences :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget about Dash. Theyā€™re probably the oldest running DAO out there now.

1 Like

@abduraman @CryptodroiD

TL;DR: Big investors are not necessarily harmful and contribute to a projectā€™s growth. Everyone, regardless of wealth or background, deserves respect and contributes at their level. The community has the power to make decisions and can rectify any issues through additional voting. Developers work hard to assist everyone, even in recovering lost funds, and criticism should be fair. Other platforms may exploit users, but the Incognito community aims to fight against a system that threatens rights and freedom.

GPT-4 to the rescue. :wink:

2 Likes

Below is an article on how a blockchain based video streaming media company called Imagine Replay (on Theta Network) is approaching itā€™s decentralised voting and governance. I thought it interesting to share.

https://medium.com/@imaginereplay/the-future-of-replay-introducing-governance-with-membership-collectibles-c596f8da192e

They plan on issuing NFT that have voting rights.

The incognito team could get creative with something similar. They could issue NFTs based on any combination of the following:

• QTY of PRV
  • Activity on the platform (E.g. Login frequency)
  • How much a wallet has in ā€œProvideā€
  • How much a wallet has in ā€œLiquidity Poolsā€

ā€¦ Iā€™m sure the community can come up with many more ideas.

Letā€™s not just ONLY base voting preference on amount of PRV. I think it is an important factor but MUST not be the only factor. There is an opportunity for Incognito to think more creatively outside the box and reward not only BIG bag holders but also users of the platform.

Hey @Jared @incognito @Jayce_Nguyen, can someone please forward this on to incognito core team?

2 Likes