pNode Maintenance Questions

Have there been issues with trying to “debug” getting a pNode running?
What level of maintenance and care have all you pNode owners noticed the pNode needing?

I am wondering because I like the convenience of having JServers handle my vNodes for me, and that is totally worth paying a weekly fee.
Maybe a pNode doesnt have a weekly fee (besides original cost to purchase), but if there’s work I’d need to be doing on my end to constantly be debugging the pNode, it’s not worth it to me.
Call me lazy, but I don’t want to have to deal with it at all. Especially if I have 20 of them, that could start to get cumbersome, trying to figure out if ones running, ones not running, ones connected, ones not connected, who do I message about it, how do we debug it, etc, etc.

So, let me know what your experiences have been! Thanks!

4 Likes

I have 4 pnodes and the funny thing is every week now it is a other node I have to take it for 1 min. From the plug and then it works fine again. I don’t know why and it is never the same node.

1 Like

Interesting I’ve heard this from a couple other people on Telegram as well, about needing to unplug it and plug it back in every so often.

3 Likes

I think I had it now one time per node, so I look forward what is happening when I am away for one week :thinking: it has nothing to do with the Wi-Fi that’s shure because 3 of them are on the same.

1 Like

If you do that because the “Fix it” button appears then you don’t have to worry. This is an error in communication between the app and your Node, not between the network and your Node.

4 Likes

Ok,thank you.

1 Like

The only maintenance I perform on my pNode is lifting it up to dust underneath it.

7 Likes

After the initial set up, which was an issue since everything was new and rough (I doubt that would happen with my new one I ordered yesterday since everything is much better set up now) I have not had a single issue. Every once in a while I may hear it like “whisper” but I have to be right next to it on my mantle so in summary-no debugging, take it out of the box, plug it in, scan QR code on the bottom, plug in wifi password, and you are good.

2 Likes

Based on personal experience, I recommend sticking with vNodes, which, for me, have far outperformed my pNode.

Since I bought it in early April, my pNode has earned only once. Despite this inactivity, the pNode looks operational to me, to @Raz’s cool diagnostic tool, and to Incognito support as well. Yet it does not earn. I spent $399 on something that, in more than one month, has paid me back no more than $24. By contrast, a vnode I spun up last Monday has earned nearly $55 in two weeks. I think my vNode easily will help me recoup the cost of the underperforming pNode.

Now, the marketing says that, over the long term, all nodes should earn roughly the same. If you were to buy a physical node, perhaps this earning potential would bear true for your individual device; however, with my particular pNode, I have to question that assurance, and I have to warn others.

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the new pNode tree–in part because of the space-saving stackable design, but also because I believe they have addressed some of the deficiencies of the original Node. If you are interested in the physical hardware of Incognito, I suggest waiting for next gen.

5 Likes

Thanks for the input, everyone!

2 Likes

I have to as well.

1 Like

I appreciate you sharing your experience, but to clarify there’s nothing by which the network would distinguish between a node and node virtual and choose one over the other. This is verifiable in the github.

The fact that your pnode has only earned once is completely by chance, and could just as well have happened to the node virtual. I’m interested to see when it starts earning again though. How long has it been?

3 Likes

@aaron, 27 days.
:hole:

3 Likes

That would be a new record, old one was 23 days.

1 Like

I’ve been struggling to get my pNode to run for some time now.

Just to clarify regarding my pNode (which is setup with manual/ethernet cable)… Even if my node looks like this on the app, it’s still connected to the network?:

If I re-plug it shows up like this for 10-15 minutes, before returning to “Fix it”-state on the app:

Also in my router under a static mapping it shows offline:
offline_routerNODE

Looks like we may have a new record here for the Non-Earning Streak badge. cc @ning

1 Like

I have mine set up through wifi, but my understanding is that when “fix it” pops up, unless your internet is messing up (other devices working fine at the same time then it is not your internet), that the “fix it” does not mess with your nodes ability to earn nor does it mess with your node being randomly selected.

But until you earn the first time you should reach out and verify with support that your node is good to go, but I believe with 99.9% certainty that you are good to go.

5 Likes

Can confirm, woke up to this.

2 Likes

Did you try pressing Fix It button? It may help.

1 Like

That’s what I’m talking about!
So you may be aware, but some aren’t so don’t take offense if you already know this.
But, the pnodes earn 35% of what they can potentially earn, to earn 100% you have to fully stake your node at 1750 PRV.
(I have no intent of doing this anytime soon, I like adding to stake/liquidity at the moment). Each time you earn PRV I think it should be around 11.9 PRV.
When you try to withdraw, understand right now it is a manual withdrawal done Monday-Friday, so don’t worry if you do it on the weekend the ticker hasn’t started. It’s actually really quick throughout the week, and they are working on automating the process while still being secure about it.
When it hits your wallet if you want to immediately start having it work for you, go to STAKE, then tap STAKE MORE, and you can access multiple areas one of them is your wallet associated with your node. Tap that one, tap MAX withdrawal, then MAX again to subtract the fee and you’ll have the maximum staked in minutes compounding every second.
If this doesn’t make sense now just refer back after your withdrawal goes through.
There is no penalty if you start withdrawal before 11.9PRV is hit either since it will take longer than your node is earning (4hrs).
Lastly, you’ll see a bunch of minuscule crypto “dust”, that will grow larger over time as more community slots are opened up, more volume is being traded, etc. Hope that helps!

1 Like