pNode Data Use

Hi all, I am still new to the community although I have had my pNode for almost a year now! I recently looked at my home internet data use and on a usual month I would use around 600GB but recently the pNode has been using a lot of data. Month to date for December is almost reaching 7,000GB. Is this normal? My ISP is going to start capping my internet use to 1,000GB starting in February and if this continues then I will have to unplug my pNode. Any insight would be helpful, Thanks!

3 Likes

I’m curious and concerned about that too. My household uses A LOT of data, and me with my 8 pNodes plugged in…

That seems like a lot. Is that data showing just for the node? I just checked mine over the last 30 days it used 32 GB for download and 8 for upload. There were a few days where the usage spiked but overall it’s pretty stable. And yes I had it plugged in the whole month and connected via WiFi.

I will check my usage tomorrow, never did that.
Do you know if there are random spikes or, if present, do they related to being selected/earning?

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 8.22.13 PM

See photo of data use. It has steadily increased over the last few months. a couple weeks ago I checked every day to see that it was going up a couple hundred GB daily then I unplugged the pNode for a few days and my GB only went up a few, less than a dozen GB. Im not really sure how this thing uses so much data?!

Hey @trevor3309, it shouldn’t use too much data like that. Please provide your Node QR code in a private message so we can check further.

1 Like

Having the same issue. Caused $70 in overage charges for data this month. What’s the fix?

The incognito chain is about 120-150GB when the beacon and shards are fully synced, and from there on it should only sync a few GB per month. There might be some cases where there’s an incompatible code change that requires a data wipe and full re-sync, but that’s quite rare (1-2 times per year).

If your pNode downloads more than 200GB per month something is wrong with it and you should contact support.

If you have a cap on your internet connection that’s under 500GB/month it’s generally not advised to host incognito nodes of any kind, as overcharges might eat up your earnings.

1 Like

I have a data limit of 1250GB and of that the node consumed over 830GB of data. I’ve had it unplugged for about two weeks now because I didn’t know how to stop the data usage. I could understand why it it would do the 120-150gb for the sync, but it was way more.

What can I do to resolve this as I’d like to continue using it but need to make sure it won’t consume that amount

1 Like

I initially noticed it last year when Comcast notified me of my absurd amount of data usage. I think at one point I was using 8 terabytes. I have had mine unplugged since until I know the issue has been resolved but haven’t heard anything. I can’t risk that much in internet overages again.

It might be possible that at the time the pNode was stuck while trying to sync and it was just re-pulling the same block over and over, had a similar issue on ARM last year where it was pulling multiple TB per month cause it was stuck, just gave up and moved to amd64.

If the issue is still manifesting @John_Barker definitely message @ Support privately with the QR code of the pNode and they can help with remote debugging and checking logs. Make sure on your end that the pNode firmware is latest, cause I own a pNode myself and it works great, pulling only a few GB/month.

2 Likes