“Node Tree” (multi-pNode set)

That looks pretty bulky indeed. Regular PC power supply?
However there is no use in putting in a smaller one knowing it will not work eventually.
Looking forward to see a prototype.

9 Likes

Right @Jamie , that’s a typical one. Because you know, we have to stack at maximum of 10 Nodes in succession and these should be required suitable power supply to working as well.
That’s why I have to do some tricks on it as creating a new armour for better looking.

Usually, you will see a smaller one in case just provided for 1-2 Nodes.
Our team have tried to find a sample for less bulky looking, however they all seem quite big.
I got another sample in Laboratory & bet you will never want to see it. Lol

10 Likes

LOL, but I DO! Show us.

No matter how bulky the base will be the complete tower of 10 will be smaller than 10 staked pNodes. Good luck on making it work. I have faith in you.

8 Likes

Though the Node Tree is designed for up to 10 nodes, won’t the hardware also replace the current Node? That is to say, won’t there be single or 2/3/4 node installs? Or is the Node Tree intended to be installed only as a full 10 node stack?

What if a smaller, starter base is created that has a smaller power supply only capable of powering up to 2? 4? units? The limiting factor and design goal would (should) be a small, aesthetically proportional base housing.

For installs with more than 2/3/4? nodes, an operator would need to swap out the starter base for the larger base unit. For someone who is ambitious and orders a 5+ stack, the larger base would be shipped instead.

If I’m interpreting the plan here, 8 of the 10 pogo pins in this render are reserved for Ethernet (Gigabit ethernet requires all 4 pairs/8 conductors in CAT5e/6/7). That leaves two pins for Vcc and Vee (24v by the looks of the PSU above?). If a second auxiliary pogo power connector is added, this could carry additional amperage for a larger stack.

The second set of auxiliary pogo pins ensures that someone can’t stack and operate more nodes than the starter power supply can safely supply. This would be similar in concept to the 2nd (3rd, etc) 12v rail on a PC power supply.

Additionally this would have the benefit of keeping the amperage on the power pins to a lower power level at a relatively safer voltage – 24v – rather than bumping up to 48v, for instance.

7 Likes

I have no knowledge of pogo pins, but having to switch the base as well when adding more nodes is very undesirable. The smaller one will have no use anymore, wasted money. It is better to use a bulky one that is prepared for future expansion. It is more likely people’s willingness to run more nodes will grow when they have one or two first. That is what is happening with the current vNodes already.

6 Likes

The starter base could have pogo pins as well, to pass through the additional power from the more powerful base. The larger power base would stack under the starter base. Both bases could then be smaller.

6 Likes

I totally agree with @jamie in this case. We build an only large power base to install up to 10 nodes which including Ethernet & electrical contact points.
For 5 nodes, there could have some smaller components & power supply to build as an optional but also get difficulties when upgrading.

@Mike_Wagner Maybe I haven’t interpreted to you clearly. We use these pogo pins just for Ethernet (as you mentioned, with 8-10 pins for eight conductors and leave two others providing against in case of necessity). We don’t use them for power supply function.
As you can see, these also have 2 circular contacts on the side what are the primary solution of providing & conducting the power.
And our HW team’s working on the power supply just using 19V source to ensure safety.

10 Likes

I was a little unsure how the small pogos could handle amperage sufficient to power a few nodes, let alone 10. Those larger contacts as power contacts make so much more sense. I thought those were some kind of alignment guides or even fasteners holding the center 10 pogos, lol.

Excellent!

9 Likes

Can’t wait to get my hands on a few of these! I was in the first 100 to pre order the original node. Any chance of a similar discount for the first 100 of these?

9 Likes

Update (1st of April)
We already got the prototype PCB for LED motherboard, so now it’s time for the next step to place components (regular module, chipset…) & develop Firmware as well.
photo_2020-04-13_10-02-25
Well, you know the current situation of developing status nearly a month ago.
Almost factories & suppliers are all not in full capacity and many workers are working at home where it is possible. So at the moment, I have to start creating a basic prototype which is also simply defined the overall version, not perfectly.
IMG_20190627_143855
I have sent out the ideal design to a 3D printing suppliers for creating mock-up. I will check and consider every details which can be work out or not, therefore our team will able to pre-update the product to ensure all hidden problems.
Please get patient, we are on the way reaching out the new specific design at the end of April.

16 Likes

hey @linh! could you send in an update for last week? i understand that the specifics may not yet be ready, but would love to see how it’s doing so far.

5 Likes

Hi @ning It’s been another busy week trying to get all things ready for rapid prototyping that I cannot easily explain to you, also not have sth clearly as a positive update.
There a few issues on the prototypes were happening. So this needed to be revised all. I have to fix some parts, including renewing a base.
Then we have been working closely with the suppliers to ensure that every Plastic case that is delivered will have a near-acceptable finish regardless of thickness and angle - not fail like this one.
Capture02.PNG
A part of progressing form, 3D printing also allowed for the internal mechanisms to be tested, from the feed for the power spring, through to the intuitive mechanism, so we will be giving more updates in the coming week after testing numerous times.

14 Likes

Hello @Linh.n can you please share details about the motherboards that will be inside of these units?

How much ram?
What CPU?
Can you provide specification sheets or links to the motherboard being used?

7 Likes

@rolltide1112

5 Likes

Hey @Linh.n just want to confirm with you if this part is delivered ? Sorry a bit lost in the conversation :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

@andrey
Linh is sick and she is currently not leaving the hospital 1 week.
I updated her:

• Complete build hardware board module. ready for software testing.
  • 3D prototype is printing.
Date Deliverable & Target
May , 2020 Model product design - Mockup samples (Node Tree) release (Create the scale prototypes after executing & making tests)
11 Likes

Hi @binh,

Can you please clarify “3D prototype printing”? Is this the prototype stated in the April timeline?

6 Likes

Sorry to hear that @Linh.n is in hospital. Take care of yourself Linh. I appreciate all the work your team is doing. Look forward to having Linh back so you all can plant some Node Trees :muscle:

12 Likes

Will these stackable nodes somehow be able to use the current pNode as a base? Or will we be required to purchase the base as well?

6 Likes

@Linh.n I was wondering if everything related to the node tree is going to be open sourced to keep with the Incognito trend of transparency. It would be awesome if all of the following could be posted to the Incognito GitHub (stl files for 3D printing, PCB files and bomb component list, computer or board used internally and custom code used to get the node successfully running on the hardware).

As a side note. I’m curious as to why a photo of 3D printers was used as an update when the item(s) being printed / on the table have nothing to do with this project or Incognito (for those interested the parts being printed are Mecanum wheels used for RC vehicles or hobby purposes).

Edit: Just saw the update about the hospital.

6 Likes