Node Operator Bootstrapping Introduction & Guide 🤠

You can instead copy the entire directory. cd .. back into the parent directory that contains the healthy beacon directory and cp -v beacon/ into the problematic directory.

If you need more assistance you can ping me on Telegram @lukemax

@Jared I have the same problem as @Socrates. However the workaround above doesn’t always work. The directory appears to copy properly but after starting the container it restarts indefinitely and never properly stands up until I delete said directory.

Any solution to this?

Delete the other files/directories for that node but leave the block directory. Restart the container.

1 Like

What if we have multiple vNodes on the server but none all healthy to bootstrap from?

Bootstrapping comes from a trusted source provided by the developers.

So what’s the solution for my case? I have inc_mainnet_0 to inc_mainnet_4 and all are stalled. How can I find that trusted source that you mentioned above?
Do you recommend to make 1 healthy using the bootstrap menu "
wget https://bootstrap.incognito.org/bootstrap.sh && sudo chmod +x bootstrap.sh && sudo bash bootstrap.sh" and then use that to fix the other 4?

The bootstrap script already pulls from the trusted source.

You can use the bootstrap script for all 4 nodes. Just select the beacon/shard data that is needed per node.

Hey, @Jared, tks a lot for this guide, it is helping our lives as validators.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t make it work for me yet, after using the script, downloading beacon and shard, the node just appears offline in the Node Monitor… It’s running perfectly in the docker, tag is 20221119_1, didn’t find any errors in the error.log, it’s connected to the inc_net network in docker and I also have another vnode running (online - syncing) in another container, so really don’t know what more I could do. Would you help me? Tks

PS: It´s the fourth time I try it, also using in another vnode and get to the offline the same way.

After bootstrapping you might need to wait up to ~30 minutes for your node to appear online on the Node Monitor.

What does docker ps show?

1 Like

Tks for the answer! The waiting time might be the problem, I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Hey, it worked, online, but:

Waiting for it to be running ok to stake.

There was most likely an error when you ran the script. Before hitting 88 see what the output is. If there is an error then run it again.

No errors, I checked it twice when running the script. Well, maybe I should try it one more time. Tks

@Jared I’ve been bootstrapping multiple vnodes over the last couple of days and noticed the same problem. The shard bootstraps failed 5 times in a row (each a different node). Been copying directly from one node to another to make it work.

Are there any specific shard that the issue is on?

It should be noted that this is the recommended action to be taken instead of downloading from the server.

It was different shards. Will note the different shards and report back.

I was copying shards from one node to the other on the same server. Only way to keep them from getting slashed in time.

1 Like

it may return Argument list too long error, so I recommend rsync alternatively
https://www.linuxfordevices.com/tutorials/linux/copy-large-number-of-files-terminal

1 Like

Pruning was just run on the bootstrap server as of 12-12-2022. Feel free to re-pull shards as needed to get a lower storage size.

Before pruning:
2022-11-30 22_04_12-Index of _ - Brave

After pruning:
2022-12-12 05_52_31-Index of _ - Brave

Pruning has freed up about 22GB over all! :partying_face: :raised_hands:

*Amounts shown are compressed. The uncompressed size will be larger.

4 Likes

@Jared - afaik, after a node gets slashed, it can get picked for any shard. Assuming that’s still the case, how do I know which shard to bootstrap from?

Is this the preferred bootstrapping sequence post-slashing?

1. Restart the node and re-stake.
  2. Wait till the node gets assigned a shard and starts syncing with that shard.
  3. Stop the docker instance, delete and bootstrap the selected shard’s data.
  4. After bootstrapping is complete, use option 88 to re-start the docker.

Or is there a more efficient way to bootstrap post slashing?

Yes that sequence looks correct. You can delete out the previous shards data at any time since it will no longer be used (unless you’re lucky and get reassigned to the same shard).