Multi-VNode script

This script doesn’t start eth_mainnet, it did at some points in the past however. If you want to re-enable it you’ll need to add in the docker vnet creation and have the containers setup to use them. As far as I can tell though the incognito nodes aren’t using the ethereum node.

1 Like

@Jamie Can we get some input if we need to be running eth_mainnet?

1 Like

We don’t use it anymore.

3 Likes

@mesquka @Jared @Jamie

Got this reply and just wanted to provide an FYI about having eth client for validators:

Also worth noting he updated a multinode script with eth-client as well:

I’ve updated the link, there are now 2 scripts. One with the eth container and one without so people can choose what they want to run.

5 Likes

@Jamie, can I kill eth_mainnet container on my server?

@taruneldho
Opinions seem to differ. Take a look at the most recent comments on this post

I would say, if it is running, keep it running. If it is not, leave it like that.

1 Like

First, thank you @mesquka for this script. As a newbie to ubuntu server this has been quite a learning experience for me and your script has been very helpful.

i followed all instructions (i think), to update my current server at home to run 2 nodes instead of 1. However I am seeing now that inc_mainnet_1 is not working. It is showing zero usage or stats in docker stats and in docker ps shows status “restarting (5) 38 seconds ago” and continues like that non-stop.

Any advice on where to look for a fix for this?

you already had one node running, did you completely remove that one before running the script? or did you update the starting port? did you use different validator keys?

I updated the keys in the script using my previous key for key 1 and the new key for key 2. It says here I should be able to just run the script without removing the container right?

I see now that when i check logs it says there is no space. but when i check space, there is plenty except on my thumbdrive that had the script i used. I did run the script from the thumbdrive directly…could that be the problem? Do I need to copy the script first the hard drive?

The script will use the same directory you run it from to store data for the nodes you are running. If you are running it from a USB you will need to make sure the USB either has enough space or move the script to your computer and run it there.

Thanks, yup. it looks like it created 2 new containers on the thumbdrive which are not working, my old container is still working. 4 containers total. going to remove all 4, move the script to the hard drive, and re-run.

Will update after, but i think that’s the solution here. Thank you!

@mesquka is there a recommended folder on the hard drive to run it from?

top level?

/root?

/home?

You can run it from anywhere, I run mine in it’s own directory in my home folder (~/incognito)

1 Like

Just wanted to follow-up on this. Thank you @mesquka for the script and your help. I have successfully deployed it on my server that had 1 vnode. Per your assistance I moved it to a folder on the hard disk, and ran it there. I had to remove the other node containers i had before because it didn’t do so automatically. Once i had it deployed for 2 nodes, i successfully updated things by simply adding a 3rd node key and running again, no need to remove containers at this point.

So far got it up to 5 nodes using your script.

Is there a limit? Does the port number just keep increasing> 9339? 9344? Is there an end?

I also used your tool at https://tool.incognito.best/ to confirm everything is working properly.

FYI, this address for the tool no longer works, posting the updated address here for easy access.

https://tool.incognito.best/

The port numbers will keep increasing so you can add as many nodes as you like until you either run out of CPU/disk space or the port numbers overlap with something else running on your system.

https://tool.incognito.best/ is hosted by @inccry, but is using the same incognito tool code with some changes. I’m no longer hosting an ‘official’ version of it so inccry’s version is the closest to the official one now. You are also free to self host it/modify it as you like.

1 Like

I crated a fork of the script @mesquka wrote that is available here:

It adds 2 main things

1. Instructions at the top that most intermediate users can follow even if they have never messed with Linux before
  2. It adds an iterator called “iteration_bump” that is set to 0. The purpose of this is so that if you are running your vNode server with a few nodes on it, and you want to add more, but your server is not powerful enough, you can setup a second server to handle the next batch of nodes picking up where you left off. So if your first server has 5 nodes, you would run this script on the second server but change iteration_bump to equal 5. This adjusts the ports and names appropriately.

There are a few other small mostly insignificant fixes and some comments on some stuff I plan to work on in the future. But I have tested it multiple times now and it should be good to go.

4 Likes

One good fork deserves another?

I’ve edited the script to allow for you to enter your infuria api key. It doesn’t take into account the updates @brico84 posted in Jan or the IncognitoUpdate service from @Rocky

Your mileage may vary.

5 Likes

I’ve also added -e GETH_PROTOCOL= -e GETH_PORT= as well, it seems to be required to get past certain blocks on some shards

4 Likes