Longest Non-Earning Streak. [Reigning champion: JG20 at 95 days]

If you like the bizarre, the unsettling, the Ripley’s Believe It or Not type oddities, then you’re in the right place. This is a running tab of the longest non-earning streak. If you think you have it beat, post here.

I can’t remember if @Jamie still holds the title, but I think the longest streak on record is currently 23 days. If so, I have that beat.

The last time my pnode earned was April 20 around 2am. Today, May 13, marks the 24th day of zero earnings. My pnode has been on and connected the entire time, and I’ve been trying to unstake it for about a week now.

:poop:

15 Likes

I’m right there with you @gold, and so are most of the other long-time validators here :joy:

Time to buy more nodes

4 Likes

Have you checked canyouseeme.org to make sure the ports are accessible outside your local network?

4 Likes

@Jared, thank you for the great tool! Are ports 9334 and 9433 the only two that need to be open for pNode?

3 Likes

9334 is the only one that I know of that needs to be open. What did the site show? Add it under port forwarding on your router if it shows closed.

3 Likes

It was closed. Will give that a try, Jared, thank you!

4 Likes

Speaking with @Jamie about my pnode, she said I shouldn’t have to open ports to solve the problem. Basically, I just need to wait.

28 days and counting…

3 Likes

It’s been 2-3 weeks for me as well…

2 Likes

Honestly, I feel this is one of Incognito’s biggest issues with nodes. Not the earning mechanism, but the unstaking mechanism.

The reason I am worried about my non-earning node is not because it isn’t earning. That sucks, but from the very beginning I understood that selection is random. So I felt okay spending nearly $400 on the node, knowing that it might not pay for itself quickly, but should repay me slowly over time. What I didn’t think about is how unstaking can also take a long time, since unstaking is tied to earning.

If a node is not earning, it will not unstake until it does start earning. This means 1750 prv is locked up until the next time you get lucky enough to earn. Right now, at market value, 1750 prv is worth about $1356. And you can only get that back once you win the Incognito random selection lottery. Unstaking based on chance kind of sucks, especially when you need that 1750.

I think, like the warning button in the PDex for low liquidity trades, a change to the unstaking mechanism needs to be a top priority–especially as more and more nodes go online, further decreasing the odds of earning (and therefore unstaking).

8 Likes

I agree most blockchain all rewards are split by total master nodes. This randomness will definitely make people want to unstake, when there paying $20/mo for servers and not earning enough

2 Likes

Thanks, @palumboe1. I sent a letter about this to Peter and Duy, and soon I’ll probably broach the subject in Bounce Ideas too. Currently, I feel the nodes are earning well, but when they don’t, you’re effectively locked in.

3 Likes

My pnode finally earned and unstaked this morning. So the new record is 29 days.

2 Likes

Should we take in account you opened the 9334 port 5 days ago?

When you and I talked in direct messages, @Jamie, you said I shouldn’t need to open ports, so I never did. Do you think opening ports would help with earning frequency? I do want to return the node to funded staking…

2 Likes

Your answer to Jared made it seem you gave it a try.

There is no way of telling what people do with their router and how it has been configured. I think I said, I never did anything to my router and the Node is working fine.

I don’t care about the badge, I would like to know if it is something that makes a difference. If you didn’t change anything and your node still earned with that specific port closed, I guess it is not an issue then.

1 Like

Gotcha. Well, I’ll leave it closed, and if I’m still experiencing slow earning, then I’ll open it and report back to the group whether or not it makes a difference.

2 Likes

FWIW – I’m double-NATed, so opening a port on my router will have zero effect. I have two pNodes and neither has any problem communicating with the Incognito Chain. Opening port 9334 and/or 9443 for pNodes – in my limited experience – is not necessary.

The only accommodations I make for my pNodes is a DHCP reservation on a segregated VLAN and locally proxied DNS entries because I like typing URLs not IPs with @mesquka’s tool.

QFT because this probably has far more to do with chain communication issues than anything else.

1 Like

There is no use now. If it mattered you would have still not earned due to it.

1 Like

Hi, I am from Incognito Chain Team. We are designing un-staking feature, it will be available when we launch Dynamic committee size feature.
Estimated release date in Q4.
Current design won’t sustain mass un-staking situation. Therefore, un-staking feature might bring corruption to the system.

3 Likes

@hungngo, thank you so much for this information. This is really good to hear, and it’s good to know some of the limitations the team is up against. I wrote the following in a letter to Peter, and I thought I’d share it here to help temper my critique of the current unstaking mechanism. Your team is doing an excellent job:

I love this project. I greatly value the company’s mission to increase financial privacy, and the rewards are incredibly strong. Out of all the crypto projects I am involved in, I think I am most excited about Incognito

2 Likes