Ledger hardware wallet support?

Hey @brico84, yes I personally do agree with you that a hardware wallet is needed for sake of higher level security. :+1:

Unfortunately…yes its true! But not because we aren’t aware of the importance of Ledger wallet usage, but because devs are having lots of works to do atm. To be clear, devs are currently working hard on enhancing our infrastructure, integrating more privacy applications, building wallet extension on web-based, etc. I think you can get more details about those works in the 2022 Roadmap post and Q1 summary post. I guess it’s matter of resource. :face_with_thermometer:

Let’s be a bit more patient. Hardware wallet will come soon (hopefully!).

7 Likes

Following up on this…any update on hardware ledger support?

I keep seeing bridge after bridge added to incognito… and that’s great… but hardware ledger support improves the entire ecosystem and benefits everyone. It would be nice to see some resources dedicated to getting this LONG AWAITED/PROMISED feature implemented.

I support what @brico84 is saying.

Having the Devs work on building bridges and enhancing the infrastructure is all very much needed and is of high value. But from an end users perspective, safety and security of funds protected via a hardware wallet like Ledger is ESSENTIAL.

I’m not saying this will happen, but all it would take is a rouge/disgruntled developer goes and embeds some malicious code in the app that sends our private keys to a bad actor. That would spell the end of this project which is meant to be about protecting users’ privacy.

@Jared / @Ducky, is there a way we can influence Incognito Devs to add Ledger Hardware Wallet Support back on the roadmap, even if it may be a year or so out?

But just FYI, I don’t want to have to use a Ledger Hardware Wallet for every single wallet interaction as that may impact the overall user experience.

Perhaps we could make things simpler for the Developers, by only needing the Ledger wallet for these interactions:

1. Withdrawals to External Wallet (requiring the unshielding process)
  2. Staking/Unstaking to vNodes and pNodes

But having a small scope of work, perhaps this feature can be built faster, maybe? (I’m not a developer so I wouldn’t know)

Anyone else like to share there thoughts?

3 Likes

I will let them know there is still interest from the community and see if we can get it added to our next quarters roadmap.

4 Likes

There is nothing more important to the user, than using a hardwallet to reinforce the security of the wallet where his assets are!

Allowing the ledger is a way to reinforce the security image of incognito (which is what many people are afraid of) and thereby greatly increase fundraising into the protocol.

It’s really a marketing edge (to say the least).

I myself don’t have the courage to leave a lot of money in incognito due to not being able to control it with a hardwallet.

3 Likes

:100: Totally agree with you.

I’d like to deploy more funds on Incognito as I want to use the Earn feature to help grow the liquidity in the Pools.

But I realise I am taking a huge risk without having my crypto assets protected by my Ledger Hardware wallet.

Hey @Jared, can you please tell the Dev team to reach out to the Ledger team to see what are the requirements to be added to the Ledger Support Marketplace.

Ledger-Services

Can you imagine if Incognito was listed as the 1st Privacy DEX on Ledger Live.

Please LIKE if you think this would be absolutely HUGE for this project so we can send a signal with our thumbs to the Incognito Devs to add Ledger support.

5 Likes

What really stinks is that Ledger was on the roadmap for a long time, and so many people were interested, and we were told to be patient, they are working on it. And then at some point it just DISSAPEARED from the roadmap with no real explanation… meanwhile interest never disappeared and now we are at the point where its like “oh…you guys want ledger? let me talk to the devs, they are not aware”.

We have been waiting YEARS for this. It should be a priority, WAY more so than “new bridges”.

Settle down mate. The team is running a pdex, app, giving support to a growing validator network, built a ton of bridges and adding a bunch of quality of life features (unified coins)…that’s a lot of moving parts. They dont benefit from a bucket load of VC funding. Its their own money and time.

Personally I think ledger support is a waste of time when growth is better served by improving the base features, namely pdex liquidity, partnerships with other projects and building awareness of the project in general.

2 Likes

Thank you @SPAddict25.

@everyone,

We will release our next quarter (aug - oct) roadmap very soon. We expect to answer your hardware wallet questions and more so please keep watch for that announcement.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I do not agree with this. Although I do not use hardware wallet or consider using it soon, as I see, people want to bring more liquidity but there is no hardware wallet support. Liquidity is an important component of the growth. Especially, pdex liquidity.

Other than this, moving funds to a hardware ledger is one of the most important suggestions done by the experts in today’s Solana hack. Depending on the root cause, this suggestion may not be valuable for this hack but confidence (at least perception) created by hardware ledgers is still high.

2 Likes

I’d bet that the proportion of people in crypto that use a hardware wallet is very low. Is that really a good use of developer time or resources? No point developing a feature if it doesn’t get utilised. Happy to reverse my position if enough ppl show their support for it

Probably this is true but probably this is also true :joy: That low number of people have so much higher liquidity than the others have. Money is coward, it looks for safe heavens.

3 Likes

Whoa Whoa… Settle down bud! giving your personal opinion? Nobody asked for your personal opinion? how dare you.

Listen man, nobody needs condescending remarks like “settle down mate” on here. I was simply giving my thoughts and opinions on a topic, which is what the forum is for. If you want to discuss all the things the team has done, I am happy to. I have supported the project throughout all the ups and downs and that included the very long promised ledger support that was put on the back burner for pdex v3, app upgrades, P-unification. I (and others) have been very patient as the team worked on all these items, because I agree… they are important aspects of the project. The reason I bring up the ledger support now, is that those things are mostly complete and we are through those hurdles. I now see the team spending an enormous amount of time building bridge after bridge… that’s great, improvements are good. But I certainly don’t think random bridges are more important at this point that hardware ledger support. Which is why I brought this topic up again.

Given the recent responses…I am not the only one who feels this way. If anything, you are on your own in thinking that this is not important.

Opinions are welcome but keep the condescending remarks to yourself.

1 Like

For those not aware, here is a good thread on Twitter about the hack (link below)

Ledger Hardware support will add confidence and security from such hacks.
My heart goes out to the Solana community and I hope the Incognito Devs are putting in place measures to prevent this from happening to this amazing project.

If anything like what happened to Solana was to happen to Incognito, I think it would spell the end of the project and all the hard work of the Devs. I feel people set the bar higher for “Privacy” projects, hence by adding Ledger Hardware support will be another step towards enabling a higher bar to be set.

2 Likes

Hey @Jared, here’s an idea…

After the Next Roadmap is published, can the Marketing Team send out an email to all folks and also publish a poll on this Community Forum to gather feedback/suggestions and perhaps rank the community members excitement for each of the “Proposed Features” on the roadmap?

Then the marketing team could share the feedback to the Devs and publish the results for all of us to see. Thoughts?

3 Likes

This is an excellent point @abduraman.

If the Devs and Growth Teams at Incognito can reach out to Ledger and find out what’s involved in getting listed within the Ledger Live Supported Services Marketplace, that would be good.

Can you imagine the visibility Incognito would get from being the “1st Privacy DEX” on Ledger Live?

I’d be very surprised if this didn’t cause more funds to flow into Incognito’s Liquidity Pools as a result of this integration.

Yeah, but what do I know, I’m not a programmer so I wouldn’t have a clue how much effort there would be in rolling this feature out. So I leave that up to the experts , but all I wanted to say is do not discount the huge Marketing and Branding opportunities that may arise by adding this support.

3 Likes

Nobody serious, with enough money to invest, is going to put their money into a protocol that does not have, at the very least, compatibility with a hardwallet.

When I say “no one serious”, I mean the people in the traditional financial market, who have learned a little bit about cryptos and who are the ones who really have money to invest heavily. The first thing they have learned is that you don’t have the “security” of the traditional system, but in compensation there are harwallets and they keep your cryptos even more secure than in the bank.

Now this project is focused on embracing the world instead of focusing on security! This was supposed to be ready years ago. From the beginning I suggested it myself and followed it for a while, but time went by and nothing, so I gave up. Just like I gave up on putting big money into this project, because they haven’t delivered what they promised about the update that would change everything regarding security.

This is the message that is being sent to the market.

2 Likes

Looks like ledger was put on the backlog again, where it seems it will permanently stay. This is extremely disappointing.

9 bridges/integrations are planned for Q3 yet the team couldn’t find a slot to seriously look in to getting ledger support added. I dunno about anyone else but I think the writing is on the wall. They don’t seriously plan to ever add ledger support.

…

Hey guys, thanks for bringing up the interesting topic, I just wanted to clarify something around the ledger hardware support…

First of all, I believe that anyone would agree security is important, especially in financial platforms. While the proportion of people in crypto that use a hardware wallet is pretty low, when they do, they hold much money obviously.

But the point here is that what is our goal at the moment? Let me describe my thoughts in two directions below:

1. If we focus on the hardware wallet:
  • We would need to allocate most development resources we now have to it and might take a quarter or even a couple of quarters since integrating a Ledger wallet with a privacy blockchain is more complex than a non-privacy one (Monero did it though, it doesn’t mean we could make it quickly). We are building the wallet extension and in our experience, it’s far more complex and demand much more effort for preserving user’s privacy than its non-privacy counterparts.

• In the entire one or two quarters, we couldn’t either build any new features or improve the current features. The only main feature we have right now is swap and we don’t have a product-market fit yet. There are not many users using the current swap and nothing can guarantee when we have the hardware wallet, the product market fit will come automatically only with an assumption: people will put more liquidity into the Incognito exchange and there will be more users swapping coins on there only because of the hardware wallet while the feature is still the same.

1. So if the goal is finding a product market fit:
  • We need to keep looking for new features or improving existing ones based on the current infrastructure. It turned out that with supported smart contract bridges, their arbitrary message sending capability, and pToken unification we can support cross-chain swap feature with liquidity from outchains’ DEXs. Apparently, we still need to grow liquidity for the bridges’ vaults but it should be easier compared to AMM pools.

• In this direction, having more bridges and more DEX integrations will help a lot in terms of userbase, cross-chain options, and liquidity (from those DEXs)

• We believe that cross-chain swap is also less competitive than the AMM swap.

That’s not really a “pick one of two” dilemma but could be “pick one of two at a time for prioritization” in my opinion. Once we find the product market fit, we can always revisit the hardware wallet support then.

4 Likes