[Shipped] Increase engagement on incognito.org

What privacy problem are you solving?

We opened up development processes to the public last month, and results were pretty good in terms of pageviews (+200% MOM). We had 4,000 daily pageviews, but many were passive. This month, we’ll work on getting these casual visitors to join the conversation.

What is the solution?

I’ve done a few experiments over the past month, and will continue to:

Create dynamic rather than static content
e.g. polls, AMAs, discussions, contests, RFCs

Adjust product pages to highlight traction and invite feedback
e.g. integrate reviews and organic discussion to wallet and node pages

Design structures that encourage people to interact
e.g. badges, help desk, ideas and wanted category, voting, community initiatives, etc.

Which solutions do people resort to because this doesn’t exist yet?

-NA-

Who are you?

I’m Ning from the core dev team. I work on product, community, words, and games. You can see my 2 favorite projects from March here: Reward community engagement, Open-source incognito development.

Why do you care?

Different perspectives are essential. Conversation drives adoption.

What’s your plan? What’s your schedule?

I’ll start with the examples detailed above, and will adjust depending on how the conversation evolves. Some of these may work better than others – I’m always open to suggestions! The goal here is to lay the foundation for higher engagement and explore organic ways to encourage interaction.

In the first 5 days of this month, we had a daily average of about 40 topics + posts. For the last week of the month, I hope to have an average of:

Ship Date Deliverable
30 April 2020 100 daily topics + posts

What’s your budget?

Resource Cost Quantity Monthly Cost
Implementation 1000 PRV 1 1000 PRV
TOTAL (x 1 month) 1000 PRV

Is there an existing conversation around this idea?

This is stage 2 of this project: Open-source incognito development.

Is there anything else you would like the community to know?

Hey lurkers, come say hello! We don’t bite, and we’d love to hear from you. Oh, and if anyone has any fun ideas – let me know. Stay chatty everyone. :dancing_men:

12 Likes

@ning your proposal has been funded, it received 5/5 vote from the board. I will move it under “funded proposal”. Keep up the good work!

so this past week, we had on average 67 topics + posts a day. that’s already a 20% increase from last month’s average - but we’re aiming for 80% :sweat_smile:

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 23.10.58

I’m also in the process of reworking our existing product pages to make them more informative and invite discussion. So next week, we’ll have a new Node page!

As we have a few Node options now – Node Pool, Node, and Node Virtual – this page will give both new and existing users a clearer look at which product is right for them. It will include ROI estimates, comparisons, etc. so people can make better choices. Hope to have your feedback on that too!

Speak soon,

N

4 Likes

@ning 20% increase is great progress. congrats!

for incognito.org, in addition to the key metrics, i would suggest organizing your weekly updates in the below format so that it’s consistent (and therefore easier for everyone to follow and review).

1. meta-change – what are the changes that impact the entire site this coming week? fonts? proposal votings? badges? solved tickets? social sharing? email flow/trigger? – these are not specific posts, but they’re the tools we use daily to interact with each other. you can just list them out with specific ship dates so the community can review once they go live.

2. new key topics – what are the new key topics that you’re planning to publish this coming week? these are long/key important pieces that you probably need to spend a lot of time. i think we need more long-form (deep) content. some of the pieces you did with other core team members last week were great. i really enjoy reading them: 3 pillars of decentralization and entities around incognito.

3. update existing key topics – new node page, yes, especially with @annie’s new plan for the month as a product line rather than just a single product. i also think the wallet page needs to be updated, as the wallet is evolving from just a single activity (send/receive) into a smart wallet that lets people trade, invest, borrow, and lend anonymously (see @henry’s proposal for pDeFi)

6 Likes

thanks duy! let’s give it a go.

meta-change:

font: @annguyen and @binh have rolled out a new font that makes bold more… bold. and headlines… more headliney. Stuff like that is always pretty subjective, so let me know what you guys think.

voting: I hope to push this live by the end of next week for 2 categories: bounce ideas, and proposals.

For the first category (ideas), anyone with a minimum basic trust level will be able to vote for ideas presented, so builders involved are able to more accurately see demand.

For proposals, this will be enabled for just the board - for now. as Incognito governance starts to grow up, voting will be opened up to the community in stages. @annie has been manually reporting voting outcomes under every proposal, so hopefully, this makes her job a little easier.

solved: This feature is designed to streamline the ‘help’ section. It will allow question-askers to mark solutions to their problems, and also allow moderators to select the best solutions. Right now there’s a lot of back and forth – for example, our mods currently need to manually add [SOLVED] tags to titles. Hopefully this feature will be of help to @jamie and @Peter.

badges: This week, we have the first nominations thread for the first few novel badges! I’m a bit of a sap so i’m pretty pleased at how kind and appreciative everyone is being. Check it out here. Will also be looking into building a more formal ‘election system’ for the future.

There’s a bunch of work that needs to be done for validator badges, and a few dependencies that involve the chain team (who have a lot on their plate at the moment). As a result, this may take a little longer to push live – will keep you guys updated.

I’m hoping to roll out a series of ‘bug’ related badges too – the first of which was originally suggested by @abduraman, and designed by @Mike_Wagner. I’m looking into ways to automate both awarding and rewarding (because doing it manually would be an absolute faff). I think incentivizing bug hunting is very useful for the product teams at the moment.

new key topics:

pUniswap (coming soon): Working with @henry at the moment to refine his pitch for pUniswap – the start of privacy for the entire DeFi ecosystem! This should go live this week, with help from @tuyen for graphics.

pDEX mining: Helped @andrey out with his new pDEX mining page. Glad to see the response has been good so far, will be continuing to work on this with him as features like the dashboard are released.

existing key topics:

Node: Also working with annie to update her Node page to include some essential information – like ROI and initial investment. The new shape is up, but it’s looking a little rough. Will continue working with the Node and design team to refine this over the week.

How we work: I tweaked this to include more information about the current governance process. I added details about how the board works, about how voting is carried out, and included expectations regarding funding.

Entities: I edited this to include a 5th category: businesses. A healthy ecosystem needs all sorts of projects if it is to be dynamic and self-sustaining. The first Incognito-related businesses are doing well – two of the most popular being myconstant.com and @fitz_fiat’s jservers.com.

I wanted it to be clear that anyone is welcome to create both ‘supporting’ or ‘competing’ businesses. Would absolutely love for someone to build and sell their own hardware Nodes!

Alright - that’s it for now. Hope to get as much done as possible. Will post a quick update on friday.

6 Likes

It’s friday! here’s my update.

Engagement stats first:

Slight increase overall from last week, averaging about 71 daily. Up 46% from the first week of the month (slow start), up 30% from last month.

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 1.07.57 PM

When ‘Voting’ and ‘Solved’ features go live, I expect a dip in both topics and posts – because the conversation will be more effective. Not accounting for community growth, of course. There should however, be an increase in ‘non-verbal’ engagement.

If i continue this proposal next month, I will probably include other engagement stats such as votes cast and likes given.

Next, here’s a quick update re the list I posted earlier this week.

Meta-changes:

• new font is live.
  • solved and voting features have been finalized and will go live by the end of next week.
  • first nominations have concluded, and first novel badges have been awarded!

Key topics:

node page: after a lot of back and forth, the new node page is up – displaying the node device in full glory. thanks @ducky and @tuyen! As usual, will review stats and keep tweaking.

the node team ultimately decided against a page that compared all 3 options, and decided to hone in on the device. rationale is that it’s hard to sell 3 very different things at once (presumably a different audience for each too). next week, we’ll work on a separate comparison topic.

pUniswap page: going live later today, along with the testnet version! congrats @henry!

Node Pool: you guys will have seen a teaser on the Node page. Node Pool is scheduled to launch on Monday, so we’ll also be rolling out more details on the site soon. @ducky and @annie have been hard at work prepping for this – looking forward to pushing it live.

Okay, that’s it for me – will be updating badge-related activities in more detail here.

Have a good weekend. Hope you guys aren’t getting too cabin-fevery!

6 Likes

pleased to say, we’ve hit our goal for April!

Ship Date Deliverable
30 April 2020 100 daily topics + posts

We’re currently sitting at 107 topics + posts a day (+95% MoM growth).

Stats from this week:

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 12.19.11 PM

since we’re nearing the end of the month, i also wanted to give a wider engagement view on the current iteration of incognito.org since it launched on feb 8th.

Engagement stats from launch:

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 12.21.17 PM

for those of you that have been with us for longer and remember our old site, here’s our pageview trend since mainnet launch in nov 2019.

All-time pageviews:

Quarter over quarter growth: +370%

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 12.23.27 PM

excited to see incognito.org keep growing. i think we’re on the right track.

as always, lots more to do. thanks everyone for participating in the privacy conversation!

10 Likes

@ning wow it’s great to see engagement metric is up and to the right. do we know why there was a huge increase in engagement last week? what’s the plan to keep it up or further increase engagement this week?

also – is there a correlation between users on the site and app users? i would assume that users who are more engaged on the site are more likely to be active in the app. but if we can track these numbers, it would be helpful to refine our strategy for the site.

3 Likes

we had a big spike around 20 april that coincided with the launch of node pool (congrats @annie @ducky @jayce-incognito @elvis.p!) we did a bunch for the web that seems to have worked well for the launch - home page banner, product pages, updates, informal q&as. more generally however, we’re in better shape than we were this time last month.

what seems to be an encouraging trend is a steady increase in daily active users. we’re at the end of the month now, so here’s a quick engagement sum up. i’ll detail not just topics + posts, but also other engagement-related stats.

1. Daily topics + posts = 112/100 goal:
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.42.47 AM
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.41.42 AM Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.41.50 AM

2. The past month in daily active users:

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.38.21 AM

our ‘stickiness’ stats are pretty good too. this is a percentage derived by dividing the number of users who logged in over the past day, by the number of users who logged in over the past month.

3. DAU/MAU (%):

and that’s it! i’ll be closing out this proposal and moving on to focus on UX for the incognito app in May. :crossed_fingers:

will be needing everyone’s help and feedback to keep improving how people experience Incognito :pray:

thanks you guys, see you in May.

5 Likes