Incognito vs coinjoin

There isn’t much info on incognito from places that I’ve been using for info - bitcon sessions, ian majors, etc. How does using incognito compare with coinjoin or coin mixing? One thing that seems a big problem with coin mixing that doesn’t seem to get much discussion is that a mixed coin is apparently easily identifiable as a mixed coin. Seems like that could be an invitation to extra scrutiny from the government, or that your bitcoin could be discriminated against as having a murky, and unclear history.

this brings up second question - if we are buying bitcoin, how do we know whether it was ever involved with something illegal? Do we have to worry about that? If we are going to be held responsible for only owning “clean” bitcoin, what do the lawyers say is sufficient due dilligence as far as screening any prospective purchase?

2 Likes

Hello @pteracodex,

I do not have experience with coinjoins and/or coin mixing so I’ll just link to relevant posts to the questions you are asking.

Here is a previous community discussion regarding what you are asking:

Hey @pteracodex,

Welcome and thanks for bringing up these questions.

Just out of curiousity, have you heard of a project called Epic Cash ($EPIC)?

It’s a privacy coin (but there’s a lot more to it). It has in-built, always-on Coinjoin which gives it unique properties like Privacy and Fungibility that would alleviate some of your concerns.

To answer your 1st question:
I had the same concerns when I first used Incognito. I asked a similar question and as far as I am aware, Incognito does not use Coinjoin. You probably shouldn’t think of Incognito as a mixing service.

However, Epic Cash has it built-in coinjoin that happens auto-matically. Governments will not be able to determine which wallets/addresses went through a mixing service because:
A) Epic Cash doesn’t have wallets/addresses
B) There’s NO NEED for a mixing service as Epic Cash does a Coinjoin with every transaction (no need to visit a separate site).

But the very best thing about Epic Cash is neither wallet addresses nor the amount you are sending is stored on Epic’s blockchain.

To answer your 2nd question:
Yes, when buy bitcoin there is always a risk you may receive it from a wallet that could be tainted (meaning has engaged in illegal activity). But with Epic Cash, there is no risk. This is because there’s no such thing as wallet addresses. Hence no wallet addresses are stored on the Epic blockchain and hence interrogation by crypto forensic teams like Chainalysis, Blockforensics, CipherBlock would come up empty (no data to interrogate).

Pretty cool tech.

Epic Cash is a fully open source project and below is a cheat sheet summary if you want more info.

But please DYOR. You can learn more at - https://epic.tech where you can download Whitepaper and Self custody wallets.

I also recommend you watch a few video, search on YouTube for Uncle Vigilante and then click on his previous “Live” streams.

Btw, Incognito Team is in discussion with folks on the Epic Cash Team ( @Izlo ) so we hope to see support for Epic Cash soon.

1 Like

This frankly confuses me. I (think I) understand the language, but it seems in order to be fully in line with these various governmental policies, either KYC at the individual level or removal of asset fungibility is required. At the core, this flies in the face of privacy and personal autonomy. In no way am I advocating criminality. But if a powerful entity can sanction, say, whistle-blowers, journalists or anyone else trying to alert a community of a powerful entity’s bad actions, then sanctions become an effective tool of the powerful to silence the weak. I thought one of the seminal purposes of decentralization and anonymity was to circumvent these kinds of might-makes-right tools. But now I think I’m reading this community is flirting with ideas on somehow legitimizing peoples’ funds before or (possibly more threateningly) after they’ve entered IncognitoChain.

I’d like clarification on this matter before I continue getting involved with Incognito. Again, I don’t at all advocate criminality, but unfortunately, history proves that the powerful usurp the entitlement to define what is criminal–and too regularly do so to benefit themselves at the expense of the masses. I thought one of the most important reasons behind the birth of cryptocurrency was to obviate this kind of systemic injustice.

Can someone with community authority please clarify?

2 Likes