Incognito Nodes & PRV Staking: A community comparison

pNode (funded) pNode (privately staked) vNode (VPS) vNode (self hosted)
Stake 1750 PRV 1750 PRV 1750 PRV 1750 PRV
Automatic staking manually processed, M-F no no no
Restaking n/a n/a n/a n/a
Restake minimum n/a n/a n/a n/a
Additional deposits n/a n/a n/a n/a
Deposit minimum n/a n/a n/a n/a
Base earnings 9.14 PRV/ earning epoch 9.14 PRV/ earning epoch 9.14 PRV/ earning epoch 9.14 PRV/ earning epoch
Compound earnings n/a n/a n/a n/a
Compound interval n/a n/a n/a n/a
Earnings split 35% to owner (~3.199 PRV); 65% to pool (~5.941 PRV) n/a n/a n/a
Earnings payout after committee participation after committee participation after committee participation after committee participation
Withdrawal automated processing automated processing automated processing automated processing
Time to withdraw ~15 minutes ~5 minutes ~5 minutes ~5 minutes
Unstaking Yes Yes Yes Yes
Time to unstake after committee participation after committee participation after committee participation after committee participation
Minimum startup costs $399.00 (discontinued) $1,676 ~$1,297-$1,317 $1,277
Monthly costs n/a n/a fixed n/a
Monthly costs $0.00 $0.00 ~$20-$40 $0.00
Earning epochs to ROI 170.86 251.27 406.69 191.47

Provide (pDEX staking) Staking Service jServers (private node)
Stake 1 PRV minimum 1 PRV minimum 1750 PRV
Automatic staking n/a no no
Restaking automatic manual n/a
Restake minimum no 1 PRV minimum n/a
Additional deposits automated processing automated processing n/a
Deposit minimum 0.01 PRV 1 PRV n/a
Base earnings ~19.06% APR 30% - 40% APR 9.14 PRV/ earning epoch
Compound earnings 21% APY n/a n/a
Compound interval 1 hour n/a n/a
Earnings split n/a n/a n/a
Earnings payout 1 hour 6-12 months after committee participation
Withdrawal automated processing automated processing automated processing
Time to withdraw ~5 minutes ~5 minutes ~5 minutes
Unstaking Yes Yes Yes
Time to unstake up to 3 days after term expiry after committee participation
Minimum startup costs ~$1.49 ~$1.49 $1,277
Monthly costs n/a n/a fixed
Monthly costs $0.00 $0.00 ~$9.53 ($2.20 pUSDC/wk)
Earning epochs to ROI n/a n/a 259.86

For the purposes of this informational comparison:

1. 1 PRV is assumed to be worth $0.73, as of 2/1/2022.
  2. A node is assumed to earn 4 times in one month. This is assumed as committee selection once every other week. Week 1 is 2 consecutive epochs; week 2 is no selection; week 3 is 2 consecutive epochs; week 4 is no selection.
  3. Based on Note 2, one month’s PRV earnings is assumed to be 36.56 PRV.
  4. Based on Note 3, it is assumed to take 44 months to earn PRV equal to the initial stake of 1750 PRV.
  5. Electricity costs are not considered or compared.
  6. Hardware costs for a self-hosted vNode are not considered. It is assumed these will be a repurposed PC or server and therefore will not present additional cost to the operator.
  7. Due to the random nature of selection and earning, these amounts are conservative and should not be taken as representative indications of PRV earnings.
  8. Constant’s PRV staking pool ended 7/6/2020.
  9. jServer’s Shared Node Pool product ended August 2020.
  10. Incognito block rewards were reduced from 10.92 PRV to 9.94 PRV on the first year anniversary - 10/29/2020.
  11. pNode production ended 3/17/2021.
  12. Slashing enabled on 9/26/2021
  13. Incognito’s block rewards were reduced were reduced from 9.94 PRV to 9.14 PRV on the 2nd year anniversary - 10/29/2021.

Incorrect information will be corrected ASAP. Prices will be refreshed periodically.

This post is neither an endorsement nor recommendation for or against any service listed.

29 Likes

These charts are way way cool…thank you to whom created them…I believe it be Mike Wagner…thank you thank you once again…one thing only…numbers or figures should be updated…:sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m glad you find the information useful.

I do update information in the post quite often. I’ve updated changes to Jservers earnings split & weekly fee as well as both Constant and Incognito’s PRV staking interest. All those happened the same day as they were announced.

As the first note states, I’ll do price (USD) recalculations every so often (I’m currently considering the first of each month). This is mostly to keep my sanity in check, lol.

The PRV price I used is posted there, so anyone can validate the numbers I’ve posted or do a simple substitution themselves, if they do not want to wait until I’ve updated PRV pricing.

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the info! @Mike_Wagner But what is the most profitable?

2 Likes

That’s a difficult question to answer. It depends on the resources available to you, the risk you are willing to take and the timeline you are considering.

Staking in the Node Pool generates a consistent and predictable amount of PRV. Staking a Node Virtual will generate more PRV during a revenue generating epoch. However, the interval between revenue generating epochs is random and can be quite long, exposing you to considerable overhead operating costs. Those operating risks are mitigated by operating a Node (physical node), but come with a greatly reduced reward per epoch. That reduced reward can be expanded to the full block reward through private staking. However that can take a great period of time to fully realize. And you will still have a random and long intervals between earning epochs. You can mitigate some of that randomness by operating multiple Nodes. But again you have considerable risk in overhead operating costs per Node Virtual. Or you need to run a fleet of Nodes (physical nodes) instead.

Not in the scope of this topic, but there are also investment opportunities in providing liquidity to the pDEX pools.

It’s really up to you and the risks in operating costs and earning consistency, you are willing to take.

8 Likes

@Mike_Wagner Thank you very much! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

6 Likes

Hi, is that the newest comparison rate for staking and nodes?
anw, so helpful for newbie, thanks so much

Yes, updated and current as of 11/1/2020.

1 Like