[Paused] Incognito Ledger Integration

Thinking about this more, I’m not sure how Ledger support will work with Validators at all, since generating a validator key will be required and I’m not sure how that will work? Are these keys generated from the public key? Or the private? With many other networks, it’s either derived from the private key, or it is the private key. This work well for industrial uses since we can use TPMs/HSMs for signing operations.

Is there a plan to support validators with offline storage? Worst case scenario, the ability to remove the private key from the app would be nice. I don’t know offhand if it’s required to unstake/stake or remove rewards (I don’t think so), but it’d be great if I could provide it only when needed. The app storing some private keys and not others would be very confusing, I think.

2 Likes

This would be a great addition for a builder reward, I think. If you or anyone here sees value in coding this, I think that many would love it.

2 Likes

I agree! Though, it’s security sensitive. If there’s a bug, this could allow someone to steal the PRV staked to a node as replacing the validation key would also mean changing the account the staked PRV would return to. The attacker would still need to wait through the unstaking process, in which case the stake could be slashed. Harder once the network is truly decentralized.

Whomever builds it would have to do some threat-modeling and validation, like all contracts :grin: I’d love to build if no one else wants to.

4 Likes

Hi @heavypackets,

Thanks for your interesting discussion. These are also our concerns during this time.

Roughly speaking, we don’t need to introduce something like Instructions or Smart contracts to swap user’s validator keys. The easiest way is that you can un-stake and stake again with a new validator key generated by Ledger (note that the validator private key is generated from the private key).

However, as you said, this may be a cause for network instability. Fortunately, we currently have fixed nodes and pNode that can help in this case. In addition, we will release the new staking flow in Feb, which will make the un-staking process faster.

4 Likes

Ah, I didn’t know about the new staking flow. I will hold for that before moving over to Ledger derived keys. I know there are a few Ledger apps that expose keys, so I imagine this app can do that for the validator key after deriving it on the device. I like the fact that the Bitcoin app has a privacy warning around the key. It’d be nice to have something like that too.

Capture

Looking forward to testing this flow out. Thankful for having a separate validator key, this would be far more difficult without it.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I would like to update you on our progress this month, a lots had been done since the last update post:
:heavy_check_mark: Generate coin commitment
:heavy_check_mark: Generate key image
:heavy_check_mark: Generate asset tag
:heavy_check_mark: Generate OTA
:heavy_check_mark: Encrypt/Decrypt coin value
:heavy_check_mark: Generate bulletproof
:heavy_check_mark: Get account balance via ledger

Upcoming focus items are:
:white_medium_small_square: Generate ring signature
:white_medium_small_square: Successfully create & sign tx via ledger
:white_medium_small_square: Host-side CLI and service
:white_medium_small_square: Refining API flows
:white_medium_small_square: Testing

10 Likes

Great news! Tks a bunch!

1 Like

Hello, here is the monthly update of the proposal, we nearly there:
:heavy_check_mark: Generate ring signature
:heavy_check_mark: Successfully create & sign tx via ledger
:heavy_check_mark: Refining API flows
Upcoming focus items are:
:white_medium_small_square: Get ledger app reviewed by Ledger
:white_medium_small_square: Host-side CLI and service
:white_medium_small_square: Testing

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

12 Likes

Are the Master keychains using a hardened derivation path? BIP32 allows for both hardened and non-hardened derivation paths. I’m having trouble finding anything definitive regarding Incognito’s implementation.

1 Like

Yes, the Master keychains are using hardened derivation path. Both mobile app and ledger app are following BIP32, BIP39 and BIP44. Our hardened path is m / 44’ / 587’ / 0’ as implemented in incognito-chain-web-js.

6 Likes

Haven’t had an update in a couple months. Any updates to share?

2 Likes

Checking in here too! I cloned the most up to date code for the ledger app. It looks basically complete, though I’m not sure if there have been breaking changes since.

I’m curious what is left at the moment. The Ledger app would still need approval and that’d require a bit of non-dev effort. Still, this would be a good step in security for users.

Hi, my apologies for keep this up to date, for the last 2 months we have been busy working hard to complete privacyV2 and making it ready for the mainnet. This ledger intergration is intended for privacyV2 only, so the intergration have to wait until we completed privacyV2 for the mainnet and the current mobile app, which nearly done. PrivacyV2 is a big update for Incognito network so we need to test it carefully before release it on the mainnet. Thank you for your understanding.

5 Likes

Yep, this is what I figured. Looking forward to V2!

2 Likes

eagerly waiting for ledger support. this should be a top priority after privacy v2. security to protect your pCoins is critical

3 Likes

Any update?

3 Likes

Hi @brico84, sorry for the late reply; not yet at the moment, we still focus on the new pDEX first.

Would be real nice to use the new staking feature but can’t commit to lockup periods before moving funds over to a ledger secured account.

1 Like

So the intent to provide cold wallet capability began in 2020??? I would think cold wallet capability is a MUST, not an option. Here we are in 2023 and still no cold wallet capability? If there is, please direct us to resources as to how to get our keys out of our phones and computers into a cold wallet.

Hello @pteracodex,

This is an old and outdated post. Please review our newest Roadmap for the most up-to-date information:

Incognito’s Q2 2023: Technical Roadmap

From that post:

2 Likes