Incognito app blocked in Japanese Apple app store

Had a friend in Japan try to install Incognito app today and this is the screenshot he sent:

Thank you for providing the screenshot. I have relayed this to the devs.

@Jared Hypothetically, if various countries and perhaps google play store do make it more difficult to distribute the incognito app, are there backup plans for a distribution method? Can it be distributed on f-droid? Can it still be distributed via github? I would assume yes to this but this is also more difficult for most people. What other possibilities are there should google play store as a result of regulatory pressures be forced to remove it? I am not saying this is necessarily a likely scenario, but it is one I hope has been thought about and planned for.

There is a link to the releases at the GitHub repository on the incognito.org home page. (however, the repo release list being current or not is a different matter)

2 Likes

@Socrates,

As @drusin mentioned the .APK file is already hosted on GitHub as a backup method for Android. I’ll ask the devs if there is something similar that can be done for Apple devices.

3 Likes

I followed up with a dev about this and if a user sends us their email we can give them access to install via testflight, this would not require the Apple app store.

4 Likes

@sysfu,

Can you have your friend make sure they are trying to install the correct app? The devs just checked and it appears like others in Japan have our app installed.

If need be we could have them install via testpilot which should sidestep the Apple app store.

1 Like

I think this also underscores the need for a browser-based incognito web application (preferably also accessible as a Tor .onion site). Glad to know this option for accessing pdex functionality is on the developers’ list sometime after the new pdex [1]. For the command-line comfortable folks there is also the ‘incognito-cli’ tool [2].

[1] Incognito on computer or laptop
[2] https://github.com/incognitochain/incognito-cli

2 Likes

Yep, the developers are aware. pDEX v3 is still on track to be released at the end of the October. After that my understanding is it is full speed ahead on a wallet alternative.

2 Likes

Dero has a web based client. It is secure because it is locally hosted from your device. Works well in several browsers.

I sent my friend the link to the version of Incognito I have installed from the Appstore. Would you like me to DM you his email in case it doesn’t work and we need to go the TestFlight route?

Yes that would be best or you should send it to the support account, either way is fine.