Incognito android app on Graphene OS?

So I’ve installed gsf, gms, and google play store on a seperate user profile on graphene OS, but, I still can’t get the app to launch. It just crashes back to the wallpaper.
Any ideas on how to debug this?

2 Likes

Regrettably the dev team has still not eliminated dependencies on Google services in spite of discussing the problem months before releasing the new app in December.

Thank you for asking, as this is a very important issue to me. I do not know what causes the app to terminate. I can run other apps that use Google Firebase in Graphene and simply block Firebase in my firewall and those apps function 100% for me.

There must be a stricter dependency on Google that I am not aware of. Or perhaps an issue with Crashlytics. It’s a very frustrating experience in a Privacy project. I hope with your interest the devs give the issue a second look. We will be unable to use pdex if it is not compatible with GrapheneOS or a web wallet alternative.

2 Likes

The interesting part is apps like crypto.com (which specifically require an install from the play store) actually work.

Graphene has a bunch of apks that you can sideload and install the official play store and services.

I did all that, and crypto.com works, but, incognito does not. Its a real shame, because I would love to be involved in the project, but, not enough to have an “official” google phone. If there was a web wallet or PC wallet, I would just do that and skip the phone.

I guess I could use my old iphone, but, then, I have to submit to all of apple’s privacy invasion.

Anyway, if I can pull logs somehow or debug it somehow, I’m willing.
I would just need some sort of how-to on that, as I’ve very little android experience (lots of linux though).

1 Like

Hello @john_wiki,

A web wallet is on our roadmap:

Is there a solution? A privacy network should be able to develop an app without google dependencies lol.

Please reference our Q4 roadmap:

We have also released our browser-based wallet and swap so users no longer need to use the app if they do not wish to.

don’t like Google apps? download our Google Chrome Extension instead

How about a progress update on freedom-respecting APK download with no Google dependencies built-in?

1 Like

The devs current focus is on web based wallets to target a larger userbase. If I remember correctly, completely removing Google services would prevent pNodes from operating correctly and each pNode would need to have firmware changed to allow them to keep working. The only time Google services are used if you have a pNode configured within the app.

We currently have a web-based swap and browser wallet for those who do not wish to use the mobile app. Ledger support is also in alpha/testing.

Your fast reply is full of contradictions

For example, “current focus is on web wallets to target larger userbase” why are you bragging about Ledger support in alpha testing? Ledger is a premium hardware device with a laughably smaller userbase.

Your message says both that releasing an app without Google services would break all pNodes and contradicts that only pNode operators would be affected. Which one is it? Download of this app by node operators was never mandated.

Why was the January target of supplying a parallel NO-GOOGLE app download missed?

1 Like

First, incognito works fine on my phone. I even have a special tracker blocker that does not allow any google domains. Also, I inspected the mobile apps code base and I think the community would need to agree upon how they’d deal with the update process. They use Microsoft code push and I don’t think i’d like to see that moving forward (GLOWIES). I’d prefer they use a F-Droid repo, not even down with downloading from GitHub in the future. Opinions from others? Also, they only need to get ride of firebase to remove Google dependencies. If they want to still do analytics lets try AppWrite or they can also use an open-source alternative.

This is something that we are looking into.

Firebase is needed for pNodes to work correctly and be setup when the user gets them. The devs are looking into an alternative to firebase support for pNodes. Even if we do figure that out, there’s the issue of pushing the update and making sure everyone installs it.

1 Like

Yeah, I haven’t looked at the pNode code. Curious on the setup. So they aren’t configured for auto-update? I take it since they are supposed to be low-powered they aren’t running docker?

They do run docker. Firebase is used so they can be as close as possible to “plug-n-play” for the end user regarding Wi-Fi setup. It also helps with the funded stake by Incognito option.

The only auto update they do is regarding the docker tag.

1 Like

Hi, Im also a GrapheneOS user running into the same issue (app immediately crashes).

I took a look at the crash logs and I dont think its a google dependency issue.

The source of the problem is coming from libhermes.so. The issue seems to be a bug within the javascript code, that when executed by the Hermes engine, leads to trying to access an illegal memory address, resulting in a segmentation fault.
My guess is that this might be fine for other operating systems, but not for GrapheneOS which has much stricter security and isolation mechanisms in place.

Here are the lines from the logs that I think support this:
signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1 (SEGV_MAPERR), fault addr 0x00004876bb814030
^^segmentation fault – AND –
#00 pc 0000000000043b80 /data/app/~~HT0fsPdDiUqvFYWGp5WILQ==/com.incognito.wallet-DYH0oe3kCNr-fUpTnWQQHQ==/lib/arm64/libhermes.so (BuildId: 4b19f4737b6909ff04ab456b7c0a237d075c1e67)
^^libhermes.so – > source of failure - #00

This is just my guess though. Other plausible issues could be a slight incompatibility between versions of Hermes and some of the React Native components, a thread safety issue, or something else.
I can dump the full crash report if any dev wants it