inc_node_installer.sh getting a notice syslog is obsolete

@Jared, @duc Below is a notice I can see using journalctl | grep Inc that the IncognitoUpdater.service file created by the inc_node_installer.sh script has an obsolete line or two of code referencing the syslog. Not a major issue, but thought you should know.

Feb 18 16:07:54 systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/IncognitoUpdater.service:10: Standard output type syslog is obsolete, automatically updating to journal. Please update your unit file, and consider removing the setting altogether.

1 Like

@Socrates, Thank you for pointing this out. I will relay this to the appropriate devs.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip. I did some checking on my own node which is running Ubuntu Server 20.04 but it has no such warning. Are you using a different distro? This issue happens on some specific distros only?
Anyway, it does not block anything so I will fix it later. But if you feel bothered by that warning, the following one-line cmd might help.
sudo sed -i 's|syslog|journal|' /etc/systemd/system/IncognitoUpdater.service && sudo systemctl daemon-reload

1 Like

I am using the Ubuntu 21.10 distro. I actually removed the line in the IncognitoUpdater.service referencing the syslog to remove the notice, but I see your solution to substitute journal for syslog is probably better, so I will do that instead.

Could I ask if there is a way for me to adjust the timer by changing the
“OnCalendar=hourly” line? I noticed the “check interval=” option was removed. I usually had it checking every two hours, but this is also not an issue and doesn’t bother me. Thanks to all the developers who continue to work at optimizing all the many parts of a complex network. It is amazing to see how all the pieces come together to work in such a coordinated fashion.

1 Like

This can be achieved by changing the timer to “OnCalendar=00/2:00”.
(https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.time.html#)

1 Like