Identify Wallet address/ Smart contract address for ETH/ ETH20 token

If you withdraw your ETH/ ERC20 tokens to a smart contract address, it will be lost.

Incognito doesn’t support the smart contract address currently. There is a warning message in the app since 3.6.4.1 version, which was live on March 25, 2020.

To make sure the address you are sending to isn’t a smart contract address, let’s check for it on https://etherscan.io/

For example, we have 2 ETH addresses:
1/ 0xD0BCC295A926E90A1691ecd8b8e17d52FbAe80BC is a normal address

Untitled

2/ 0x5c880becc7de2fbe56f35a7383c4c376cb785bec is a smart contract address

Untitled1

If you withdraw your ETH/ ERC20 tokens to a smart contract address, it will be lost.

Your pETH/ pERC20 token will be burned and will be stuck in the Ethereum smart contract.

We are working on a barrier, to prevent you from using a smart contract address to withdraw. Stick around :wave:

11 Likes

Why are you talking about this just now? Why didn’t you say it before? What should I do? Did I lose them?

2 Likes

To which address did you send them? I can examine the contract if it is open-source. In some cases (i.e. not guaranteed), the contract owner may help you.

1 Like

Thank you! :+1:

1 Like

I’ve just learnt the painful lesson by sending ETH to 0x44ac6eeE7677FA6fBBE486E6e4730b5D51cb3301. I didn’t know there are regular address and smart contract after lesson learnt.

The warning message in Incognito app should be a big popup alert text, if not possible to pre-check and prevent yet.

2 Likes

Could you recover it? I think this transaction is yours. I examined the contract code roughly. I think the smart contract belongs to Bittrex and someone in Bittrex has some powers to recover your ETH. However, I don’t know whether they want to do a recovery.

3 Likes

I contacted Bittrex and they advised me to make a minumum non-smart-contract deposit. I sent 0.02 ETH from Binance the the same address that didn’t receive in the first place. The total ETH later reached that address on Bittrex.

Thanks abduraman for the idea of checking with Bittrex.

1 Like

Hey, are you able to help me find my eth as well. I sent it to a Celsius Smart contract by mistake, the support agent will help me find it if i can find my ethereum Tx ID.

To which eth address did you send it? And the sent amount? You may send them via PM, too. Then, I can check the contract out.

If you don’t remember them, then Celsius smart contract is this. To my rough examination, it seems trustless which means that the contract owner cannot do anything other than burning and freezing. However, they may know a trick which I cannot see. Please try to contact them: https://celsius.network/

1 Like

Hey, I sent 1.25 Eth to 0xF037af71731D2a17dB978C2cb749Af1a2E6fc553

I have a thread open w support, I need a Tx ID which was generated from the PRV side.

I see 2 options:

1. the eth was sent from liquidity to a unknown address.
  2. the eth was not sent from the address and the PK was destroyed
1 Like

I confirm that you tried to send your ETH to 0xF037af71731D2a17dB978C2cb749Af1a2E6fc553 via your Incognito tx. As you imply, I think there is a bug in Incognito side since there are not any incoming transactions to 0xF037af71731D2a17dB978C2cb749Af1a2E6fc553 after 17th March whereas your Incognito tx was on 31st March. So, imho, your eth didn’t exit Incognito.

The same situation also applies for @CaptBMcCrea 's transaction. However, @nchicong 's transaction passed to Ethereum chain.

This shows that there are two cases for withdrawals to the contract addresses:

1- Your eth “may” be lost in Incognito ecosystem (the cases of @dvncan and @CaptBMcCrea). In this case, if tx is successful, the fund is completely lost.

2- Your eth “may” be lost in Ethereum chain (the case of @nchicong). In this case, depending on the smart contract code, the fund may be recovered.

The first post of this topic may cause misunderstanding if there are really two cases as I wrote. From the first post and the warning containing “may be lost” phrase in the app, it is thought that all withdrawals going to the contract address will definitely pass to Ethereum chain. @Peter

4 Likes

Thank you for the info. This is extremely frustrating that my funds are lost (You are welcome Eth community.) I was very optimistic about the PRV system, but this event has shattered that.
If my funds can not be recovered, can you at least
tell me what can be done to prevent this from happening to other people?

To what @Peter wrote in the first, they are working on this.

1 Like

Hi @nikita, I thought @abduraman helped you to solve your case. How is it so far?

HI :slightly_smiling_face: @Peter
In my opinion you should help me!
My problem is not solved!

Ok. I will support you in this case. I am sending private message to you @nikita

1 Like

Hi everyone, the wallet app can perform a check on your address now. Please update your app to the current version 3.6.5.4

Image from iOS (19)

4 Likes

Hey @Peter, I noticed just now. The withdrawals to the smart contracts were disabled. Could you make this optional as before? Some smart contracts are working without any problem and I was using them. I think the sentence in red is noticeable enough.