How to host a Virtual Node

Hi @Jay_P,

Edit the key then run; paste your config here so we can review.

1 Like

Stake2

Hi Khanhj
I’ve managed to run the file and everything seems ok but it says fix in the app.
The docker looks like its running and Ive opened the ports, any other idea’s.
Thanks Jay

the incognito container looking good on your vps. On app, remove the old one, add new including your node ip:port.
For example:
Node1: your_vps_public_ip_address:9334
Node2: your_vps_public_ip_address:9335

1 Like

Hi
No it’s not working, I don’t understand what the problem is.
How many folders should be in the second node I’ve got run_2.sh and data_2 is that right.
Also I’ve opened ports 9334,9433,9335,9434,8545,8546 is there any others that are used.
Thanks Jay

ping me on telegram: khanhj
i need to see your run.sh file

https://ping.eu/port-chk/
this tool will be helpful for those who need to check their ports open or not

1 Like

Port problems with second node?

First of all I need to say a big thanks to Khanh who spent about 2 and a half hours helping me this morning, I couldn’t have done it without you.

My Linux and server skills are quite poor and I normally have to do loads of reading before I brake everything and then eventually fix it.

So the time has come around to start my second node so I ran Khanh’s run_2.sh file with my validation key added.
All seemed well when I ran “sudo docker ps” from the Linux command line.
But when I added the new server into the Incognito app “server ip:9335” instead of saying Stake it said Fix meaning its not working.
So after trying a few different things Khanh tested my port “9335” to find it was not allowing any data through.
I logged into Plesk on my server and found the firewall settings.
I added all the ports “9433,9434,9334,9335,8545,8546” but still nothing, I just couldn’t understand it.
Then Khanh sent me a link to Ionos firewall settings and I found that the firewall had to be altered in the Ionos User Dashboard under Network not in the Plesk software that comes with Ionos.
Once the ports were added to the firewall I went back to the Incognito app and was happy to see the Stake button.

It’s things like this that stump inexperienced people like me for hours or even days.
But by sharing my experience I hope it will help others.

Thanks again to Khanh who is in quality control not tech support for giving me his time.

My server is with Ionos 1&1 they offer 4 cores, 8gb mem and 160gb ssd for £1 per month for 6 months and then it’s £30pm.

8 Likes

Virtual nodes require you to stake $1500 :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

@JDTrades Welcome! Trust me, it’s worth it ! We will change this world for the better together!

9 Likes

Hi @annie, this is a great article and nice of you to provide all the screenshots step-by-step. I am relatively new to the incognito community and I would like to run a node on my Windows 10 Pro 64bit server.

I heard in a recent update by @andrey that a new mobile app User Interface was released. I can’t seem to find my “Validator Key” in the mobile app.

Can you please outline where I have to go in the new app?

1 Like

Hi @Linnovations Let me help you with that. Within the mobile app under the more section there is an option that says Keychain.

Inside the Keychain option you will find a list of different keychains, choose the one that would be your validator keychain and click the key icon on the right hand side.

Inside said menu you will find a list of all your keys incluiding validator key.

I have erased my keys but this is where you will find your validator key.

Hope that covers your concern.

If you need a hand setting up your Vnode, feel free to pm me and i will help.

8 Likes

Hey @annie, will you be updating this post with screenshots from the new Incognito mobile app?

Hi @annie and @Chucky or anyone else…
Can someone please confirm if this tiny Mini PC (that fits in the palm of your hand) meets the specs for running an incognito virtual node - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/chuwi-larkbox-world-s-smallest-4k-mini-pc#/
Thanks.

2 Likes

Hey @Linnovations Thats a really neat computer! :joy: So small.

Specs to run a vnode:

• 4GB RAM
  • 4 CPUs
  • 50GB SSD

Are the minimum amount of resources needed for a vnode.

This pc has 6GB RAM, 4 Cpus cores and a 126GB SSD.

So by the specs it looks okish.

Edit: By what mike says i do agree it would be a neat experiment yet a bit of an edge case.

1 Like

It would be an edge case, I think. The processor is a quad-core Intel Celeron J4115. Celerons are pretty weak processors.

I have a ~5yr old NUC6 with a dual-core Celeron. The NUC6 can’t even complete one work unit for Folding@Home, in a week. And yet my ~8yr old laptop with a quad-core i7 still churns out decently credited work units 24/7.

Not all processors are created equally and Celerons least of all.

Might be a fun experiment, but I would vastly lower expectations if used to power a Node.

3 Likes

Thanks @Mike_Wagner and @Chucky for your prompt feedback. I’ve decided to bite the bullet and fund this Indiegigo project to test this “edge case” as it’s tiny and very affordable at only $169 USD.

I really like to support the Incognito project by running a Node and want to give this a try.

Once I get delivery of the Chuwi LarkBox Mini PC, I may need some help installing the node software on Ubuntu as I’m more of a Windows user (never used Linux before).

4 Likes

Nice test case. I am very eager to learn if it stands the test. To be honest I would put my money on no, but I really hope the device will surprise us all.

Even if it doesn’t work, you still got a great device that can be used for a lot of other fun things. Keep us posted.

2 Likes

Thanks @Jamie, once I get the device, I will need some help installing the software as I am not a Linux user, so will reach out. I’ll be happy to share with the community how things go.
I’ll be happy to run benchmark tests if you need me to.

3 Likes

@Linnovations - this will be a neat experiment! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Jay_P and @Jamie, I have some firewall issues. I don’t think my ports 9334 and/or 9335 are open (I presume they need to be for Incognito virtual nodes)
Attached is a photo of my firewall settings, I am lost as to what numbers to put where. Can someone assist me? Thanks

FYI here is my $ sudo docker stats screenshot…

Canyouseeme.org

Check 9334