How to host a Virtual Node

Appreciate that Jamie​:+1:.Im learning already​:blush:.Ps:Did my first copy paste in my life yesterday and now this​:muscle:Victory​:hugs::v:

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: RPC request to a virtual Node

Hey @PRVhodlr, hope you are well. I’m not sure if you had any issue getting your virtual node up and running.

I just wanted to let you know that I post my Step-by-Step Guide on how I deployed a vNode on a Linux mini PC here - Step-By-Step: How I built a Virtual Node on World's Smallest Mini PC

I thought this may help you.

Glad to have you part of this community and congrats on saving up enough PRV to host a vNode. It’s the best thing I have done and I paid off my hardware in a few months so now I am in profit with every additional earning reward.

3 Likes

Hi @TonyW, I felt the exact same way as you when I got my vNode up and running. It took several weeks on nothing happening. But I am happy to say I have eventually paid off my hardware costs after about 6 months. Was fortunate my node got selected every fortnight. Hang in there, your node will be selected soon.

If you want to learn more about how inbuilt my vNode , or want to share a Step-by-Step guide to others that are more adventurous in building their own vNode , check out my post - Step-By-Step: How I built a Virtual Node on World's Smallest Mini PC

3 Likes

Hello. Thank you for these instructions. I have already implemented a virtual node and have received returns. I tried to add a second virtual node hosted on a different VPS. I went to Power, tapped the + button, tapped “Node Virtual” and entered the IP address. However, the app didn’t ask me to stake PRV. The app shows the 2nd node on the list and, except for the different IP address, it looks the same as the working node. Both are currently in waiting status. The vNode seems to be running on the VPS host. Should I just try adding the node again or unstake the unsuccessful node first? Thank you for your help in advance.

did you start the 2nd node with a different validator key in the run.sh?

1 Like

Hi. Thank you for your response. I see, so I need to create a 2nd validator key. That makes sense. I also found the answer here:
[Difference in running 2 nodes on same vs. different validator keys?]

1 Like

yes, new keychain and use this chain’s validator key to launch the node :wink:

Thank you again. If I unstake the incorrect 2nd node to remove it, will it unstake the first node?

I changed the validator key for the 2nd node. The app detected the change and recognized that it was for the new Keychain. However, it is still not staked. The app won’t let me unstake this 2nd node because there is no PRV in it to pay the network fee. :cry:

I am not sure I am getting this correct… You have two keychains both hold at least 1750 PRV. Keychain 1 staked 1750 to Node 1 and Keychain 2 is supposed to stake another 1750 to Node 2. Correct? I don’t think you can stake the same node twice so you don’t need to unstake Node 1.

Please correct me if I am wrong…

1 Like

Oh. I didn’t move the 1750 PRV to the new Keychain 2. I’ll do that and see what happens. Thank you.

You should be able to stake the 2nd node from the other keychain! Let me know if it worked…

I now have 1751 PRV in the new keychain. The 2nd node was already added previously. I don’t see any way to stake it at this point. I tried just adding it again, but I think the app doesn’t let me since the IP address is already added to the unstaked 2nd node.

You seem to be mixing things.

• You have node 1, staked and running.
  • You installed node 2, but used the same keychain. Everything you see on this node 2, is related to node 1. Don’t touch anything.
  • You have installed node 2, with a different keychain. Not sure how you added it, but it might be wise to remove the first version of the node 2 from the node tab, and add node 2 fresh
  • The stake button should show up
  • With the 1751 PRV in the keychain that is assigned to node 2 you should be able to stake node 2
4 Likes

Hi. Thank you. Is there a way to remove node 2 besides installing it? I tapped the unstake button. Do I need to wait for a couple weeks? The unstake button has not changed since I tapped it. If I tap it again it says to wait for the previous transaction to finish.

You most likely unstaked node1

You can remove a node from the Power tab by swiping to the left. This will not do anything to the stake that is already present on the node.

The important thing is to have the private key of every keychain you use stored safely, offline preferably.

4 Likes

Thank you! I was able to add and stake node 2 after removing it first. Node 1 still seems to be ok but I’ll just keep an eye on it.

3 Likes

Hi @Peter, is there an official script that to Uninstall and Remove Incognito and Docker from my Ubuntu PC?

Reason being, I un-staked and move the funds to the new HD wallet. I took the opportunity to setup a new vNode and staked from my new wallet to a new PC. Hence, I want to free up space on my old Ubuntu PC. Can you assist me please?

1 Like