How to get ETH from a brand new wallet?

Hi there,

What’s the best way to get ETH with incognito from a brand new wallet?

1 Like

You can either send ETH to your incognito wallet or trade another currency for ETH. If you already have ETH sending it to your incognito wallet is easy. The ETH transaction fees might be the problem because of all the DeFi transactions on chain. If you got a different currency in incognito already trading it for ETH would be the cheapest for fees.

Sorry, the question should be how to get ETH confidentially from a brand new wallet?

You can either send ETH to your incognito wallet

send ETH will expose transaction.

or trade another currency for ETH

A brand new wallet so no ETH

And by sending even shielded ETH to the brand new wallet still need ETH to un-shield right?

Yeah you would still need ETH. If you got ETH and sending to incognito the onetime generated address helps with the on chain tracking. They also do have zkrollups and other ways to help with on chain ETH transactions.

1 Like

The transferring in and out aren’t really to bad. One way you can use incognito is as a mixer or just use it as a main wallet for that extra privacy.

1 Like

Your ETH will not be shielded until it is present on the Incognito chain. When you send ETH from an external wallet to a temporary Incognito deposit address, that transaction will be visible in the explorer of the external chain.

The deposit will be done to a random Incognito address. From there it goes, invisible, to your Incognito account.

Once the ETH is in your Incognito account you can move it around within our chain shielded. When you move it back out of the Incognito chain, it will be visible for the world again, but it won’t trace back to you.

Unless, you move the same amount (1.34534172 or so) of ETH back and forth, in and out of our chain. In that case someone might be able to compare the amounts and link the transactions.

6 Likes

Thank you for giving a better explanation Jamie much appreciated.

1 Like

Once the ETH is in your Incognito account you can move it around within our chain shielded. When you move it back out of the Incognito chain, it will be visible for the world again, but it won’t trace back to you.

Thank you, here’s my question. Will ETH or shielded ETH get into the incognito wallet? If only shielded ETH then it means the Incognito account still need ETH to un-shield?

1 Like

All coins in the wallet are shielded. So once your ETH is transferred in, it is shielded ETH.

You can use shielded ETH to pay the unshielding fee (or PRV).

1 Like

You can use shielded ETH to pay the unshielding fee (or PRV).

that’s for un-shielding fee in incognito, but in order to interact contract to trigger un-shield still need ETH right?

For now, we cover/handle the rest. The only fee users need to pay is the one they see in the app.

1 Like

Sounds good. Will give it a try. :+1:

I found this post useful Incognito mode for Ethereum. But where’s the bridge contract? How do I get start? I’ve spent more than half hour and can’t find it anywhere…

1 Like

hey @lecky, if you want to find our contract then here you go (https://github.com/incognitochain/bridge-eth/tree/master/bridge/contracts)

2 Likes

So it’s not deployed? Where’s the address? Where do I start? lol

The contract has been deployed at address (0x3c8ec94213f09A1575f773470830124dfb40042e)
And “start” for what, bro?

1 Like

The contract is not verify? how do I use it? lol

Start with using Incognito of course. To try out sending transactions. I want to test sending ETH through incognito to another wallet then and back to public network

Make sure you save the private keys of any account in your wallet you put funds in.

Main Menu -> Assets -> Shield (you will get a 60 minute valid deposit address for one time use only)

Use that deposit addres on the external chain to send ETH
You will find pETH in your account afterwards

To send to another account
Main Menu -> Assets -> tap the desired coin -> Send

To Unshield the coins back to the external chain
Main Menu -> Assets -> Unshield

These transactions require small PRV fees

3 Likes

Thank you @Jamie, it works great!

2 Likes