Have you heard that "Paypal allows you to buy BTC" ? - read the terms and conditions)

Paypal allows you to buy crypto. But you will not be able to transfer it to anyone. How does it sound for you ?

Original post

18 Likes

I’m waiting to get my confirmation email to allow me to start buying and selling.
Paypal says that there will be no transaction fee until 2021 for early adopters.
What this sounds like, for now, is that they are taking it nice and slow and making sure people can buy and sell crypto properly and shoring up any issues before they expand capabilities, such as sending it to…I dunno…my incognito wallet :sunglasses:.
Once everything is flowing fairly well, they will open up internal transfers first to family and friends probably within paypal to where you still have to sell it first still.
Eventually Paypal will allow you to send btc, etc., to external wallets, but what it seems like is they are just taking it slow at first from everything I have read and what you posted there.

I think it would be great to somehow partner with or be integrated with paypal. Every transaction goes through the privacy network etc., automatically when one purchases through paypal therefore securing everything much more.
Is that even a possibility?

4 Likes

Until/unless Paypal allows unrestricted crypto withdrawals and transfers, this will be a hard pass for me. It’s as pointless as Robinhood’s crypto feature. I don’t care about future promises. Robinhood has promised real crypto wallets with withdrawals/transfers since launching their crypto “service.” Hasn’t happened yet.

Hard, hard pass.

2 Likes

We might see soon the crypto community split into “investors” & people who care about freedom.

3 Likes

I think so too, coupled with my country’s debt, many people, not all, but a larger segment of the world’s population will start to invest and use crypto more.
Regardless how anyone feels about Paypal and its TOS right now, and regardless of if they will allow external trades sooner or later or if that is a cherry-picked dream, the point is crypto will become less and less niche, and become more and more mainstream.
My point is, that this is a turning point in society. I hope we take advantage of this early on, if not it’s fine, but I do think with the US treasury looking for a digital coin as is being reported. With many in Germany a few years ago turning to BTC to combat negative banking interest rates in their country, etc., things are shifting.
I for one am absolutely stoked. Just about no one in my governmental agency I work for knows about crypto or what the heck BTC is, in a few years, it’ll be old news, and I bet a portion will strike out looking for security, the same way more and more are looking for security cameras to protect their homes and VPN’s to protect their wireless.
I rambled, but yeah :joy:

3 Likes

It will do a lot for crypto in general, making it a common thing, but the hurdles are obvious. That and PayPal being known for freezing accounts, being in favor of the buyer, and so on, could work against it.

Have you ever tried to “unfreeze” a “frozen” account? It is nearly impossible.

2 Likes

True, paypal is the worst for freezing accounts.

1 Like