Earnings for node operators

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the average reward per year for running a validator node? I do not have much data to go on so far, but my node is currently projected to around 480 PRV for a year which is 27% of the staked 1750. This correlates to the stake reward rate you can find when googling around a bit.

Does this seem to be about the correct reward for running a node for a year? I am not saying that it is bad, but if it’s correct, I am wondering a bit about the incentive to run a validator or a full node for that matter?

If I take the numbers (if they are correct? stop me if I’m wrong!) and run with it. Lets say I run a validator for 3 years, that comes out as roughly 1440PRV earned. It’s a little shy of 1750, so I would need to run it another 6-7 months before I can start a second node and increase my earnings.

If I decide to not run a node, but take the 1750 PRV and just put it in providing inside the App, there is a 21% APY. I keep em there for 3 years and I end up with around 3100 PRV. That’s 1350PRV earned with no operating cost at all.

Are my numbers wrong, is the stake reward too low, is the return for providing in the app too high, or is the contribution by validators not really needed?

Alternatively, is this a genius move to make sure only enthusiasts and tech freaks run the nodes to avoid excessive support from those that only want to earn? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ranging between 30-50% / year, depending on luck, so 40% avg I guess. After slashing (maybe next month) this might improve as there’s ~1k nodes which are offline or badly performing.

3 Likes

This “feature” of the app will be closing down soon and only way to make profit(s) will be from running a node.

1 Like

You’re right, PRV/PRV makes no sense, so you would have to provide it against another asset like XMR (which is one of the top now at 13%) and I guess at this time, we have no idea how much you’ll earn on the new liquidity system?

Another stupid question.

We differentiate between full nodes and validator nodes. When I start a full node it says it’s offline in the node monitor. Is it just the monitoring, or does that mean it doesn’t run the consensus at all?

When you run a validator node, it only syncs the beacon and then the shards on demand, that’s great, but don’t you eventually end up syncing all the shards? Sure it’s behind on the shards where you’ve not been in committee for a long time, but it still keeps all the data?

Update:
Ok, I should have done more reading. If I understand this correctly. All functions in the APP are centralized and only communicate with full nodes run by the team? You don’t need, or want, additional full nodes in the network because it does not contribute to any kind of decentralization? Don’t you need more full nodes for shard syncing?

So, should we stay away from fullnode=1 unless we want to start creating our own transactions, or need all shard data for other reasons?

What is this “slashing” event? I try to keep up on what’s going on but my technical understanding of the blockchain/validation processes is pretty basic. Is there a way to tell if my pNode is “badly performing” (I know it’s online, at least).

The amount earned by nodes only changes once a year (Oct-Nov) as the PRV reward per epoch drops 10% (per year), so not sure what you mean by “sudden drop off”.

Each node reports a voting percentage while its part of a committee, and starting in July-August, any node voting under 50% (offline or badly performing) will be slashed. Don’t remember the mechanics exactly but its either being moved into a “penalty” pool which means the node won’t be pending/earning for some time or worst case the node operator gets their stake back.

Thanks for the reply. You’re right- there was a problem with my record keeping that made me think there was a drop off, but I’ve got that figured out now. How much does one typically earn each time their pNode is selected? I usually earn about 3.47 PRV at a time, and from what you said it sounds like that should be the same for everyone, right?

As for the slashing, it sounds like as long as I make sure my pNode is online and has a good connection, I shouldn’t have to worry about it. If anything, that’ll make it so each performing node is selected more often, right?

I see 9.93 PRV + change. Is your node fully financed or does it use borrowed funds for staking?

Yes, slashing will make it fairer by removing nodes that might not even exist anymore. You should check your node state with the node monitor to make sure there are no other issues with your node. It might be online but stalled for example, and then it probably needs a data reset to start with.

Btw: @Support, committee is misspelled on the monitor page, at least under Next event: 1 epoch to be commitee

Still not sure about the following questions, maybe anyone can fill me in.

1. Does a full node contribute to beacon and shard data decentralization and should we as a community run them as well?
  2. Does a validator node contribute anything when outside of the committee epochs? Technically (even after slashing) I can script it to start up right before the epoch, let it validate, then take it down when voting is over. But should I?

I suppose mine uses borrowed funds. I thought all pNodes did. Is it possible to switch that?

So if I understand correctly, mine should only earn 35% of what a fully-funded node would earn. If you’re earning 9.93, then I guess mine sounds about right at 3.47

1 Like