Difference in running 2 nodes on same vs. different validator keys?

I’ve set up two virtual nodes on different external IPs each, with both set to the same validator key. The first was staked with the required PRV. When I added the second I noticed it already shows that it’s staked and displays the same reward amount as the first. Does this mean it will earn no more than just as having one setup-- should I be using a different validator key for each node?

Hi @bird, 1750 PRV stake is tied to your validator key. So, you’ll need to use a different keychain (to get a different validator key) for your 2nd IP.

to do that, just go to the Keychain tab and tap create.

2 Likes

You can create a new account for the second Node in the wallet app (be sure to safe the private key before proceeding). Then rerun the command to start the second Node using the validator key of that new account.

After that you will be able to stake the second Node from within the app.

2 Likes

Hi, I would like to know if there is any benefit to having two nodes with the same validator key (for example to obtain redundancy in case a node goes down) or it is better not to do it because it can cause conflicts if the validator is selected with two active nodes.

For the system the two Nodes are seen as one Node. Your validator key (after staking) marks you as a valid node.

If one node goes down, then the other one can take over, assuming you are hosting them on different servers.

Despite that, I am not sure it is worth the effort, and wouldn’t advice anyone to use the same validator key on multiple Node installs.

2 Likes

Thank you for the explanation, just to know, if someone that has a spare server to run but not enough PRV to stake on it, if it was dangerous running the second Node with the same key and then change the key after collected enough PRV. Sorry for the explanation but english is not my native language.

2 Likes